Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking / hiking trail South Dublin / Wicklow.

Options
  • 26-01-2017 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a walking trail / hiking trail that isn't to strenuous some where on the south side of Dublin / Wicklow.

Ideally the trail would be circular so that when I park the car and and start the walk again I'm finished it will bring me back to where the car parks if that makes sense?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You have to give us a bit more info. What's not too strenuous? Are you looking for a 2km walk, 5km, 10km, 25km? How long would you like the walk to be, half an hour, an hour, 6 hours? Not too much elevation or does it not matter once you take it easy and have regular rests?

Maybe give us your age and your fitness level (compared to other people of your age)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

unkel wrote: »
    You have to give us a bit more info. What's not too strenuous? Are you looking for a 2km walk, 5km, 10km, 25km? How long would you like the walk to be, half an hour, an hour, 6 hours? Not too much elevation or does it not matter once you take it easy and have regular rests?

Maybe give us your age and your fitness level (compared to other people of your age)?

Sorry your right, very vague post from myself.

A 5 - 10k walk would be what I'd be looking for. Elevation isn't an issue.

We're both 29/30. I'm just looking for things to do with the girlfriend and I think these kind of walks are a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Danye wrote: »
    Sorry your right, very vague post from myself.

A 5 - 10k walk would be what I'd be looking for. Elevation isn't an issue.

We're both 29/30. I'm just looking for things to do with the girlfriend and I think these kind of walks are a great idea.

Three that I can throw at you that won't break you both, aren't hilly and that come with a few rescue points.
    • The Howth Head walk is easy, scenic and refreshing.
    • Walking the Royal Canal from Broombridge is actually really pleasant and quiet. The path is good so decent trainers will suffice plus it's bike friendly. The Maynooth railway line runs parallel to it from here so shops, cafes, bars and turnbacks are fairly common should the needs arise. There's enough to see and do along the way so you won't get too bored. No slopes either so it's good for the novice :)
    • There's loads of walking loops that you can take on in the Phoenix Park. Even a walk from the city end to Castleknock gates will test you without breaking you and the views of the city are surprising at times.

And that's before you go for the hills, of which we are well spoilt with in Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Loads of lovely scenic walks starting from and ending at the (free) carpark in Glendalough. All of them on good paths or railway sleepers. Great for beginners / families / tourists / people not interested or not ready to do the more remote and tougher hikes. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Drive to bray or greystones, do the cliff walk between the 2, (go for lunch) and get the dart back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Nice walk in Wicklow, it's a looped walk that takes about an hour with a nice view of a waterfall around half way through .

Devils Glen.

Ballymaghroe, Ashford, Co. Wicklow
    (0404) 40637

https://g.co/kgs/yulAK2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

You could park in Marley park, get onto the wicklow way as far as the fairey castle then head back down via the three rock and the kellystown road. Plenty of height gain on that route. Plus great views out over Dublin and towards the sugar loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Get a train to Donabate, walk down to Donabate beach, follow the estuary back to Malahide, Grub/coffee/Dart home

Get a train to Donabate, walk through Newbridge, then down to Donabate beach, along coast to Portrane, back to Donabate, then home

Avondale

Glenmalure: from Barravore ford up the path behind the old mining mill to the forestry road into the fraughen rock glen, then back down the forestry road by the hostel to Barravore.

The Sugarloaf, from Calary, only 3.5km up and back but probably the only mountain in Wicklow you need your hands to get up the easy route.

• Advertisement
Advertisement