Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains water testing for my field

Options
  • 26-01-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,
    I have a 3 acre field and I want to eventually connect it up to the local water mains however I want to test the water before hand, I need to know the Cl, NaCl, Na, Fe, Cu levels as well as conductivity, TDS, etc.

Who do I contact and how do I go about this? Do ask for water from nearby houses? Would that be sufficient for my field?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

The county council will have all the data for a mains drinking water supply. All the levels for your listed parameters will be below drinking water levels. Why do you need it tested out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hellotree

I will need to know the Cl, NaCl, Na, Fe, Cu levels as well as conductivity, TDS, etc. I am going to farm snails

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Very good. What kind of tolerances would the snails have?
    Would a high iron level affect them? The chlorinated mains water would have an effect on them? Mains water has to have residual chlorine to the furthest tap from a chlorination pump house. So proximity to the drinking water may affect chlorine levels in your mains supply at the field. Conductivity levels should be low in the mains. Iron low also. Chlorine is your main problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Hellotree wrote: »
    I will need to know the Cl, NaCl, Na, Fe, Cu levels as well as conductivity, TDS, etc. I am going to farm snails

I don't think there's a test for salt independent of chlorine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hellotree wrote: »

I don't know where you are located but l got all those tested here through public lab in UCHG. Pm me if you want their details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement