Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden for contemporary house

Options
  • 26-01-2017 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Which type of garden complements a contemporary house best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

That's a very broad question! Start with the gardener, not the garden-

What garden work do you enjoy doing?

Do you want to grow veg?

Do you want to maintain a lawn?

Then start looking at what works for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 joannedavies

Well, I'm going to hire a gardener, since I'm not into gardening, but think plants make everything look complete. Just wanted to get some ideas on what fits best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It also depends on the style ('contemporary' - contemporary to what, it used mean 1950s!) of the house, the shape of the garden, where you are situated - town, suburb, country - what you have as boundaries to the garden. Will it be flat, or terraced or sloping? You could go for a sparse look, or lots of trees and foliage, or just green, or flowering plants. Do you want to do any building in the garden, do you want grass or paving or any other kind of ground cover.

After renovation, the house will be something like that (and there are about 1600 Sq Ft for the garden): 
    https://www.houseplans.com/plan/3584-square-feet-4-bedrooms-2-5-bathroom-modern-house-plan-2-garage-37341 (sorry, haven't found how to attach an image)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It isn't about what is 'best', its about what you would prefer. You still have not given us nearly enough information to offer any useful suggestions. The garden shown with that pic is spectacularly boring, imo, but it does suit the style, up to a point. Is that the kind of thing you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Also, do you need to screen any part from neighbours? How is the back garden orientated?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Which type of garden complements a contemporary house best?

A contemporary garden best compliments a contemporary house.

I've a South East facing flat garden and concrete fence. I wanted something more interesting for the backyard then what we see in that pic. I googled 'contemporary garden' and there are just grass and rare plants...

Think I've already found what I want :) the first image here: http://homeworlddesign.com/contemporary-gardens-design/ though it must be sooo expensive :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You would really need to hire a landscaper, and let them draw up a few ideas. If you wait until the Bloom exhibition in the summer there are people and demo gardens there.

I've seen a few houses totally renovated and "contemporary" gardens installed. It usually involves lots and lots of paving, a small patch of artificial grass (in case they decide to have kids) a water feature and some exotic looking plants in containers or inside specialy constructed masonry raised beds. Bamboos palms and tree ferns are all good.
    Also the chimneyed "firepit" is becoming very popular. Its quite good for a chilly Irish summers evening. Cook on it, but also sit around it afterwards with a bottle or two of wine.
    http://firepitideas.top/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/chimney-and-fire-pits-chimney-firepit-stunning-chimney-firepit-ideas.jpg

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    You would really need to hire a landscaper, and let them draw up a few ideas. If you wait until the Bloom exhibition in the summer there are people and demo gardens there.

I've seen a few houses totally renovated and "contemporary" gardens installed. It usually involves lots and lots of paving, a small patch of artificial grass (in case they decide to have kids) a water feature and some exotic looking plants in containers or inside specialy constructed masonry raised beds. Bamboos palms and tree ferns are all good.
    Also the chimneyed "firepit" is becoming very popular. Its quite good for a chilly Irish summers evening. Cook on it, but also sit around it afterwards with a bottle or two of wine.
    http://firepitideas.top/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/chimney-and-fire-pits-chimney-firepit-stunning-chimney-firepit-ideas.jpg
    Thanks for the reply!  I'll definitely need someone to create the garden, just wanted to figure out what I want first. And I did it :) in my previous post I sent a link to my perfect garden (don't know why it hasn't become active as yours)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I saw the link alright, anyone can just cut and paste it to the browser.
    These kind of gardens can be very nice alright, and they make the most of a small space when a brand new kitchen extension takes up half the garden.
    Usually the aforesaid kitchen contains a massive amount of glass sliding doors, so one of the main purposes of the garden is to look good as a kind of picture backdrop, while the owner is sitting inside the house.
    Hence don't forget to wire in lots of spotlights.

Also remember that garden gnomes, clothes lines, cabbage plants, and apple trees are strictly forbidden ;)

Advertisement