Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster - Buying tickets online same price as buying in person?

Options
  • 26-01-2017 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭

Been out of the gig scene for a few years, but want to get back into it and go to a few this year.

I take it Ticketmaster still has a monopoly on events, or can you buy directly at the venue like the Olympia etc?

Is there much difference in price buying the ticket in person at either Jervis Centre or Stephens Green vs online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw the agent fee has gone up to (I think) a max of €3.30, while the max online is €6.85.

Not sure if you can still buy at the kiosk and have no additional charges. Soundcellar are likely still cheaper than €3.30

Online if its a cheaper ticket it will be 12.5% of the value. I have seen a few tickets which were over 100 but were still lower than the €6.85 max.

For smaller venues & gigs always check tickets.ie who can be selling along with ticketmaster, but with lower fees. Whelans will sell tickets directly online too.

It really adds up if you are buying for a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cheers.. saw this bit on the Olympia page
    http://olympia.ie/buy-tickets/olympia-box-office-information/
    There are no service charges when you book in person at the Ticketmaster outlet in The Olympia Box Office. You can pay by cash or card over the counter, the cost of the ticket is all you will need to pay.

Good to know. Does Academy/Whelans etc have this as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mrcheez wrote: »
    Good to know. Does Academy/Whelans etc have this as well?
    Never heard of buying tickets in advance in the academy and think it unlikely, not sure about whelans.

The olympia is a bit different in that its a proper box office you can stroll into any day, not just a hatch selling tickets on the night.

If buying olympia tickets on ticketmaster there is now a "restoration fee" of €1, not sure if that is still there at the box office. 3arena also have an extra euro slapped on.

If the gig is not going to sell out you can certainly pay at the door at whelans and avoid any fees. I was at a gig that had sold out a few months in advance in whelans and a friend paid in at the door. You can save a euro or so if you opt for box office collection on tickets.ie.

Advertisement