Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance and tax cost of van used privately

Options
  • 26-01-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello,
    I had a look around the forum and other websites already around the topic of motortax etc for a van and got quite confused.
    i want to buy a van (something like toyota hiace or vw transpoter) ONLY for private use for my hobby. Before I start shopping around, can anybody help me with getting me a cost estimate of
    1) annual motortax
    2) annual insurance
    I am not sure if i can afford astronomical tax rates of 1000 EUR a year....
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hello,
    I had a look around the forum and other websites already around the topic of motortax etc for a van and got quite confused.
    i want to buy a van (something like toyota hiace or vw transpoter) ONLY for private use for my hobby. Before I start shopping around, can anybody help me with getting me a cost estimate of
    1) annual motortax
    2) annual insurance
    thanks

Your tax no matter what year will be cc based so example 2.0 would be €710.

Insurance can be hard got as not a lot do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Plenty of people have good reasons for using vans privately. Insurance companies need to be put back in their box and stop causing unnecessary burden and stress in peoples lives.

Plenty of people have good reasons for using vans privately. Insurance companies need to be put back in their box and stop causing unnecessary burden and stress in peoples lives.

What you on about I was just telling how it is. Vans are a commercial vehicle and most insurers won't touch.

Op would you not buy a estate or MPV or 4x4 and just drop the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Hello,
    1) annual motortax
    2) annual insurance
    thanks

Another option would be something like a passenger model Fiat doblo, Ford Galaxy or something similar which can double as a van. I know someone who is using a camper, tax on a camper is less than 100 quid, so that could be an option. I myself am using a 2.0 Nissan Xtrail which is as good as a van in many ways as the back seats fold flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 99Luftballons

Op would you not buy a estate or MPV or 4x4 and just drop the seats.

mmh not sure if this will work as i need it for windsurfing/stand up paddling

• Registered Users Posts: 15 99Luftballons

Your tax no matter what year will be cc based so example 2.0 would be €710.

thanks this is shocking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'd go with the camper idea, there's loads of Transits converted and taxed as campers, you can change the interior to suit your boards and a bonus kitchen and bed would be useful no doubt.

Tax is just over the €100 and cheap insurance can be got too. Will need a CVRT as would a van.

thanks this is shocking!!!

Only way that would be got for the €333 tax is if you can show used for business.

Advertisement