Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aborigines

• 26-01-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Has anybody here spent any time in the outback with the aborigines? I might be visiting my brother later this year and I'd like to hang out with some for a while. I don't want a tourist package but some pointers on meeting aboriginal people who preserve their traditions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Seanachai wrote: »
    Has anybody here spent any time in the outback with the aborigines? I might be visiting my brother later this year and I'd like to hang out with some for a while. I don't want a tourist package but some pointers on meeting aboriginal people who preserve their traditions.

There are very few places left in Australia where you will find aboriginal people who preserve their traditions. The only place I can think of would be Arnhem land in the Northern Territory.
    There are a lot of problems in remote aboriginal communities which you may not be aware of and they may not be the kind of places you would like to "hang out". I'd look into this a lot more before you consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I had a very genuine experience in Derby, WA back in 2003 where I got friendly with a group of aborigine artists and even ended up being gifted a carved boab nut and boomerang they made for me.

Very rare experience though, and generally they have been dealt a bad hand in history which has resulted in the present situation.

It may be possible to visit Aboriginal lands as part of a tour group, although I'd say it's at least a 1 week thing as the areas would be far to get to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I don't really know how to take your post to be honest. I'm hoping you are simply naive.

Indigenous people in Australia have suffered extreme hardship, murder, genocide, racism, slavery and discrimination since Europeans arrived on Australian shores and continue to to suffer right now.

They are not a tourist attraction for people to "hang out" with and certainly aren't tourist attractions. You need to approach Indigenous Australians and their culture with respect.

Do a lot more personal research on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

aido79 wrote: »
    There are very few places left in Australia where you will find aboriginal people who preserve their traditions. The only place I can think of would be Arnhem land in the Northern Territory.
    There are a lot of problems in remote aboriginal communities which you may not be aware of and they may not be the kind of places you would like to "hang out". I'd look into this a lot more before you consider it.

I'm aware of the social problems, from documentaries and feedback from my brother. I'm not planning on being the whitey left face down in a pond by meth heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

pete4130 wrote: »
    I don't really know how to take your post to be honest. I'm hoping you are simply naive.

Indigenous people in Australia have suffered extreme hardship, murder, genocide, racism, slavery and discrimination since Europeans arrived on Australian shores and continue to to suffer right now.

They are not a tourist attraction for people to "hang out" with and certainly aren't tourist attractions. You need to approach Indigenous Australians and their culture with respect.

Pretty harsh post (akin to the style of posts you see on Thorn Tree rather than more measured boards posts). The guy was simply asking about how to experience a different aspect of Australia rather than the usual Irish-backpacker routine, just as if he was going to the Amazon and wanted to spend time with the locals there. If anything his acknowledgement of the aborigine culture as being worthy of experience shows sufficient respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

pete4130 wrote: »

I have immense respect for all aboriginal people and have spent time with other native people sharing music and culture, stories etc. I think you're misinterpreting my words, and no I'm not naive. It's the tourist attraction experience that I don't want, I want to spend time with the native people to learn about their culture first hand, not to patronise them in any way. I'm not looking to force myself on anybody or play the great white saviour role. I know from other native people that they are only too happy to invite outsiders into their world for a time. The reason I'm asking on here is I know that there are commercial packages that bring tourists on tours where you observe people as if they are animals in a zoo, I was looking to see if anybody here had previously made contact in an independent way and maybe had some pointers, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mrcheez wrote:
    Pretty harsh post (akin to the style of posts you see on Thorn Tree rather than more measured boards posts). The guy was simply asking about how to experience a different aspect of Australia rather than the usual Irish-backpacker routine, just as if he was going to the Amazon and wanted to spend time with the locals there. If anything his acknowledgement of the aborigine culture as being worthy of experience shows sufficient respect.

I actually think Pete has a very good point as you do. This is actually a fantastic idea, and I hope the op can achieve their goal, it's something I should have done while there. I know Ray mears frequents aboriginal villages, so maybe boards 'bushcraft' department may provide us all with some info. Best of luck op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I have immense respect for all aboriginal people and have spent time with other native people sharing music and culture, stories etc. I think you're misinterpreting my words, and no I'm not naive. It's the tourist attraction experience that I don't want, I want to spend time with the native people to learn about their culture first hand, not to patronise them in any way. I'm not looking to force myself on anybody or play the great white saviour role. I know from other native people that they are only too happy to invite outsiders into their world for a time. The reason I'm asking on here is I know that there are commercial packages that bring tourists on tours where you observe people as if they are animals in a zoo, I was looking to see if anybody here had previously made contact in an independent way and maybe had some pointers, that's all.

Once again I'll say do your research before attempting this.
    Be aware that just because a community is made up entirely of aboriginal people doesn't mean they follow any form of aboriginal culture or traditions.
    You may need a permit to visit some remote communities.
    Are you aware of how remote some of these places are? I worked in a couple of aboriginal communities a few years ago. One was a 4 hour drive from Alice Springs...we didn't see a single house the whole way there and the last hour and a half was down a dirt track.
    A lot of people in aboriginal communities have lost their way and you may end up being both shocked and disappointed with what you see in their communities. I understand you wanting to find an authentic aboriginal experience but just try to realise that it will not be as easy as just taking a drive out to a community and hoping the aboriginals will share their traditions and culture with you.
    Can I ask if you have ever been to Australia before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Imagine an American for example had found Boards.ie and made the above post but switch Aborigine for traveller. What would your response be to them?

That's pretty much the same answer anyone here could give you. It's like.... an 'interesting' idea but a bit naive tbh.

Imagine an American for example had found Boards.ie and made the above post but switch Aborigine for traveller. What would your response be to them?

That's pretty much the same answer anyone here could give you. It's like.... an 'interesting' idea but a bit naive tbh.

not at all, plenty of people doing these kinds of things around the world, i was only watching a henry rollins interview yesterday whereby he has been pretty much doing this kind of thing his whole life, leading to amazing experiences. they are afterall, only humans just like us:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    not at all, plenty of people doing these kinds of things around the world, i was only watching a henry rollins interview yesterday whereby he has been pretty much doing this kind of thing his whole life, leading to amazing experiences. they are afterall, only humans just like us:confused:

Of course they're human. But like I said if an American said they were fascinated by travellers would you tell them to head on into a halting site and see how they got on? For most people how would that end up?

Of course they're human. But like I said if an American said they were fascinated by travellers would you tell them to head on into a halting site and see how they got on? For most people how would that end up?

jasus, give humans a chance will ya, there truly is tons of people out there doing these type of things, and have truly amazing experiences. ive experienced it to some degree, staying with the locals literally in jungles. the first step is research, and the op is doing just that by starting this thread. i actually know some travellers and i suspect theyd have no problem with me if i entered their home(halting site).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you're heading to WA then try looking up this organistion...
    http://www.dumbartungaboriginalcorporation.org/about_dumbartung.html

They may be able to help.

I used to listen to radio Noongar when I lived in Perth and found it fascinating for the insights. I think they have an internet feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Mod note

Comment deleted. This type of comment adds nothing to the topic. This isn't After Hours.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement