Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on a "written off" car

Options
  • 26-01-2017 4:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Okay, this is a complicated enough one. I recently "wrote off" a car, by which I mean crashed it beyond repair. It was my own fault so didn't make any claim.

Anyway, after that my boss agreed to give me a company car so that's what I'm driving now.

I didn't cancel my own insurance.

So, my son is returning from Canada later this year but to keep his no claims bonus he has to get some car insured by March.

Could I change the crashed car to his name and get him insurance on that?

Just to get it straight, it's not so that I or he can carry out an scam or claim, it's just so he doesn't lose the 8 years no claims bonus he had before he went.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

If insurance don't know about the crash I can't see why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

honda boi wrote: »
    If insurance don't know about the crash I can't see why not.

If the car has been assessed and rated as being written off / beyond economic repair the insurer will likely know about it at quote stage.

Insurers have a system that's tied into the vlc in Shannon which flags vehicles that were previously written off, involved in MIBI claims or reported stolen.

What the op is proposing to do is dishonest and contravenes the principal of utmost good faint.

There is also the matter that most / all insurers will not bind a policy for someone that is not a resident of Ireland which means the op would have to further compound the dishonesty by adding another lie to the equation.

In short, what he is suggesting is fraudulent and I would advise against it. If he proceeded to do what he is proposing and the insurer found out about it they would cancel the policy and his son would have a permanent black mark against his insurance history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Rod Munch wrote: »
    If the car has been assessed and rated as being written off / beyond economic repair the insurer will likely know about it at quote stage.

Insurers have a system that's tied into the vlc in Shannon which flags vehicles that were previously written off, involved in MIBI claims or reported stolen.

What the op is proposing to do is dishonest and contravenes the principal of utmost good faint.

There is also the matter that most / all insurers will not bind a policy for someone that is not a resident of Ireland which means the op would have to further compound the dishonesty by adding another lie to the equation.

In short, what he is suggesting is fraudulent and I would advise against it. If he proceeded to do what he is proposing and the insurer found out about it they would cancel the policy and his son would have a permanent black mark against his insurance history.

Okay, you make good points. But the car hasn't been assessed by anyone.

And desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.

If he comes back and has to pay 4 or 5k for insurance he will not be able to drive at all which will make it very very difficult to get work in our area. No public transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If you didn't make a claim and they don't know about it, then I would do it so long as it obviously won't be driven anywhere. From what I understand you are only thinking about doing this so he can keep his NCB intact until he returns and gets himself a car.

I can see everyone arguing against you here but I'd do it in a heartbeat. The insurance company won't find if it's not being driven or a claim being made.

Yawns wrote: »
    If you didn't make a claim and they don't know about it, then I would do it so long as it obviously won't be driven anywhere. From what I understand you are only thinking about doing this so he can keep his NCB intact until he returns and gets himself a car.

I can see everyone arguing against you here but I'd do it in a heartbeat. The insurance company won't find if it's not being driven or a claim being made.

It won't and can't be driven. It's currently being used for parts by a mechanic.

• Advertisement

If hasn't been assessed by anyone from the insurance company,what's so wrong about it?
    Car isn't been driven,it will just sit there.
    He's using it to keep his NCB.
    No harm in it at all.

honda boi wrote: »
    If hasn't been assessed by anyone from the insurance company,what's so wrong about it?
    Car isn't been driven,it will just sit there.
    He's using it to keep his NCB.
    No harm in it at all.

It is taking a policy out on a vehicle that is not road worthy and has no intention of ever been driven.

Whether the car will ever be driven or not is moot, that is fraudulent, ie binding a policy with deliberately false or excluded information.

If you cannot see what is wrong with that then there is no point in arguing.

I will say, its people trying to get one over on insurers that is part of the reason why the market is so distressed at the moment.

The casual attitude to fraudulent behavior when it comes to insurance is shocking tbh.

And before anyone goes off on one, of course this isn't as bad as making false claims or the like but it is still dishonesty, no matter what way you try and defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

If there is already a policy in place that has not been cancelled then technically there is no fraud I suppose?

If there is already a policy in place that has not been cancelled then technically there is no fraud I suppose?

The op is talking about transferring ownership and setting up a new policy in his sons name on the written off car, the existing policy is in the OPs name so you are correct, there is no fraud with relation to the op, the car and the policy as it stands. He should however contact his insurer and suspend the policy. That basically means he returns the cert and disc to them and at the end of the policy year he will be entitled to a pro rata refund for the time the suspension was in place.

It is taking a policy out on a vehicle that is not road worthy and has no intention of ever been driven.

Whether the car will ever be driven or not is moot, that is fraudulent, ie binding a policy with deliberately false or excluded information.

If you cannot see what is wrong with that then there is no point in arguing.

I will say, its people trying to get one over on insurers that is part of the reason why the market is so distressed at the moment.

The casual attitude to fraudulent behavior when it comes to insurance is shocking tbh.

And before anyone goes off on one, of course this isn't as bad as making false claims or the like but it is still dishonesty, no matter what way you try and defend it.

I don't know how him doing this is 'getting one over on the insurer'.
    He's paying them and there is no chance of a claim against the insurance company . So really the insurer is gaining from this as there getting paid for nothing essentially.

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote:

I do get where your coming from but this is not getting one over on anyone. I have never made an insurance claim, neither has my son and have no intention of doing so. If I had I would already have done so as I has fully comp. I've actually saved the insurance company money and now want to pay them money for nothing purely so my son can return home a couple of months afterwards, buy himself another car and afford to insure it so he can get employment.

pilly wrote: »
    I do get where your coming from but this is not getting one over on anyone. I have never made an insurance claim, neither has my son and have no intention of doing so. If I had I would already have done so as I has fully comp. I've actually saved the insurance company money and now want to pay them money for nothing purely so my son can return home a couple of months afterwards, buy himself another car and afford to insure it so he can get employment.

You can dress it up anyway you want but the fact of the matter is that you are thinking about trying to get a vehicle insured that is has been written off.

For a motor insurance policy to be valid there must be

1) an insurable interest

2) the policy terms and conditions state that the vehicle insured must be in a road worthy condition

A written off vehicle has neither of the above.

Therefore that is fraud ie setting up a policy using false information.

That is the fact of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

pilly wrote: »
    It won't and can't be driven. It's currently being used for parts by a mechanic.
    Could you not ask the mechanic if he has any unused cars that he will allow the insurance transferred over to ? (Or anybody else)
    That's not illegal.
    Not driving an insured car is not illegal.
    Your only breaking the law if you drive it on a public road without tax.

I could say,
    I've been conning the insurance companies for years, I pay my insurance but haven't driven for 30 years. :)
    Would the insurance company claim that's fraud and insist on giving me the money back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some insurers are now seeking proof of NCT and tax, if the NCT is required you won't be able to insure it.

Some insurers are now seeking proof of NCT and tax, if the NCT is required you won't be able to insure it.

Still has an NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Don't know if you have a partner or another son/daughter.

If so, get son in Canada as main insured on their car with them as named driver - some companies even give an extra discount for this too.

Delacent wrote:
    Don't know if you have a partner or another son/daughter.

Have another son and daughter, neither have a car at the moment.

Advertisement