Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeds - where to order them from ?

Options
  • 26-01-2017 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

Is there a good site?

Is LIDL / ALDI good for the regular stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

I have had trouble getting seeds from aldi/lidl to germinate but seem to have less problems with the bigger brands from the hardware/garden centers, suttons,unwins etc.

I stocked up on seeds late last year from seedaholic.com. I haven't tried to grow any of them yet but was impressed with the information sheet that came with every seed.

Hopefully the seeds will be as good!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

http://www.seedaholic.com/

They are based in Westport... I have dealt with them a few times and have found them to be good and have a good selection and they will post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

http://www.seedaholic.com/

They are based in Westport... I have dealt with them a few times and have found them to be good and have a good selection and they will post

They have a cosmic carrot collection :-)

I'm there man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Iv used these well for the last few years and I find them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aldi and Lidl - their seeds are like their plants. Reasonable value if you just want a basic version of whatever they are offering, but in the long run not very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Aldi/Lidl for the basics, not noticed any difference germination wise, for more interesting stuff, ebay and aliexpress

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

http://store.irishseedsavers.ie/Organic_Seed_s/47.htm

Support hertitage and rare species

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

As other have said Aldi/Lidl are fine for the staples like Marigold, Lobelia, Sweet Pea, Allysum etc. and I have often used them for the more exotic ones as well, though the choice is poor. They also have a lower seed count per packet, which is not necessarily a bad thing as storing seed year to year is not always successful whatever the claims on the packet. I find B&Q usually have a good selection of both flower and vegetable seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,007 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have got a lot of different seeds in the past from this company in England. They offer a wide range, and I have found them to be of good quality.

http://moreveg.co.uk/

The advantage is that they offer a lot of seeds in 50 Pence packets, and most under £1. These would be smaller quantities, but that suits me as there are too many seeds for me in many of the packets in garden centres and supermarkets. Although I have often bought from them locally as well. Smaller packets gives the chance to get some different varieties for experimentation at not too much expense.

The postage for Ireland is £3.75 (about €4.40 today), but if you use the An Post Address Pal system that would reduce to €3.50 for orders over £10, which are free postage to UK.

Are there any online sellers in Ireland selling smaller quantities like this? I only grow veg, no flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worded wrote: »
    They have a cosmic carrot collection :-)

I'm there man
    i wonder has any seed seller or grower ever marketed a carrot variety as 'camberwell'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

The Thompson and Morgan seeds from Mr.Middletons are excellent. You can order them directly from Thompson and Morgan or Mr.Middleton.

I have used their hybrid seeds and had like 90-95% of the seeds germinate at times

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have a number of a pea variety called Carlin, from seeds I had from Irish Seedsavers 15 years ago. Every year I save enough for the following year. Marrowfat dried peas grow well too.. Love LIDL ... pensioner here.. oh I save seeds from eg nasturtiums and lupins too... Would love sweet rocket ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd echo the Thompson and Morgan testimonial. I tried aldi and lidl, seed and the vermin action rate was terrible. Often said, and mostly true, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Be careful where you buy from, I got some tomato seeds and was stunned that a lot of places seem to now give you as few as 8 seeds a packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Buying all my seeds from here:
    http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/shop/seedcatalogue

Have fun...

Is there a good site?

Is LIDL / ALDI good for the regular stuff?

I find them excellent and no postage costs etc. Means i can get more. Had a wonderful display of trailing nasturtiums last year and saved seed from them. But ALDI and LIDL are always great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Suprised http://www.realseeds.co.uk/ haven't been mentioned, i've bought from them several times in the past and always been happy with the seeds, they encourage seed keeping and have some great guides on the website on how to do so, well worth a look if you haven't before.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Suprised http://www.realseeds.co.uk/ haven't been mentioned, i've bought from them several times in the past and always been happy with the seeds, they encourage seed keeping and have some great guides on the website on how to do so, well worth a look if you haven't before.

WIsh I could afford to join IrishSeedsavers again. So enjoyed the year I had with them and the seeds were great.

But more and more I am still saving seed myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you are based in Dublin, call in to Mr. Middleton's off Mary Street and not only will they give you excellent advice on what to grow but their seed are great quality, will out germinate anything in Aldi et al, provide better plants and are reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Have used Lidl seeds for Carrot Tape, Peas, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Lettuce and have had no germination problems. Generally I start them indoors in yoghurt pots and transplant them. This year I have got the fibre pots so that the pot can be planted straight into the ground without disturbing the roots. Still using last years seeds. Most garden centres dont have the 2018 batch yet

Not a fan of the fibre pots - too many times i have found a sad looking plant root bound by the pots.

Have used Lidl seeds for Carrot Tape, Peas, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Lettuce and have had no germination problems. Generally I start them indoors in yoghurt pots and transplant them. This year I have got the fibre pots so that the pot can be planted straight into the ground without disturbing the roots. Still using last years seeds. Most garden centres dont have the 2018 batch yet

Half a toilet roll will let the roots out through the base easily, and the core of a toilet roll is free

I have been advised to soak in water for a good while before planting and take off the bottom of the pot before putting it into the ground and if necessary split the side of the pot with a scissors before covering in.

Pots are not that expensive anyway. Dealz are selling 48 for €1.50 at the moment

I have been advised to soak in water for a good while before planting and take off the bottom of the pot before putting it into the ground and if necessary split the side of the pot with a scissors before covering in.

Pots are not that expensive anyway. Dealz are selling 48 for €1.50 at the moment

Make sure they get plenty of light as soon as the first leaf arrives or they get leggy fast

Too early to sew now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There are a few good suppliers on ebay supplying their own seeds (from the UK) and never had any problems, usually around a pound for a good quantity (depending on what you are ordering) and if ordering a bunch you're only paying a euro or so for the postage - will try and find the links of the ones I've used

Make sure they get plenty of light as soon as the first leaf arrives or they get leggy fast

Too early to sew now?

Anything I started indoors last year got stunted after going into the ground as the roots were disturbed and I lost some. Too wet at the moment to till the ground for them. Probably too cold also even with a cloche

I am using the fibre pots for Carrot, Turnip, Cauliflower, Broccoli and hoping to get a good start indoors and then get an early crop with decent protection under a cloche

Anything I started indoors last year got stunted after going into the ground as the roots were disturbed and I lost some. Too wet at the moment to till the ground for them. Probably too cold also even with a cloche

I am using the fibre pots for Carrot, Turnip, Cauliflower, Broccoli and hoping to get a good start indoors and then get an early crop with decent protection under a cloche

Consider a small green house ?
    Perfect nursery and later excellent for tomatoes etc

I don't think I would use fibre pots for carrots - you want a strong straight tap root without it having to wander around finding the way out of a fibre pot. You could cut the base off but I think carrots are better straight into the ground.

• Advertisement

Consider a small green house ?
    Perfect nursery and later excellent for tomatoes etc

I have a small green house that I put away into a shed for the winter, and with strong winds etc. it cannot be realistically brought out until Easter

Advertisement