Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And I thought the ones without lights were bad.

Options
  • 26-01-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

bikeyob.jpg
    A lot of these guys cycle around without lights and up one way streets in a dangerous fashion.

I understand everyone's got to make a living but surely Deliveroo have some sort of responsibility for this?

EDIT: Image added with blurred face to make sure driver is not identified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ha! That dude almost clipped me yesterday as I was walking along the footpath on Camden St.

For the sake of clarity, that bike has a petrol engine.

ILLEGAL! OVERRATED! BUILD A WALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can even see the exhaust fumes on this one.
    Also looks like he has a speedo on his wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Effects wrote: »
    You can even see the exhaust on this one.

Look at the drive train on the far side of the motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There has to be something done as these fools can get up to great speeds and hit someone and cycle off. No insurance or lights or any identifying marks apart from deliveroo they should have to have an identity number on there box or jacket.

Obviously not just these guys using motors I've seen quite a few teens flying about town on them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

IMAGE REMOVED

A lot of these guys cycle around without lights and up one way streets in a dangerous fashion.

I understand everyone's got to make a living but surely Deliveroo have some sort of responsibility for this?
    Recent UK case determined they have employment rights over there. Any complaints should be directed to the company (or Guards)

• Advertisement

I love the way he knew you were taking a pic.

ted1 wrote: »
    Look at the drive train on the far side of the motorbike.

I mean you can see that the engine's clearly running on this one.
    I've seen these being sold at various "expo" shows where they tell people they are totally legal and need no tax or insurance.
    I've seen these go past Gardai and they don't bother looking at them.

I mean you can see that the engine's clearly running on this one.
    I've seen these being sold at various "expo" shows where they tell people they are totally legal and need no tax or insurance.
    I've seen these go past Gardai and they don't bother looking at them.

There were real from the factory types of these years ago like the NSU but these are all strap onto anything types now. These bikes are not designed for this and I can predict some serious injuries or deaths caused due to there use.

Gaurds aren't interested as technically not illegal once under 49cc but a lot can be around the 80cc mark.

Cheap way of getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Quite a few around at the moment. Dodgy as hell as the brakes won't be up to stopping them. They're also quite smokey and smelly. The good news is that the engines are so badly made they don't last long before a breakage occurs internally.

Gaurds aren't interested as technically not illegal once under 49cc but a lot can be around the 80cc mark.

I don't think that's actually the case. They need to be taxed and insured.

• Advertisement

The Road Traffic Act 1961 at Section 3(1) (a) and (b) defines a mechanically propelled vehicle as:- “a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including— ( a ) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used, ( b ) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical, but not including a tramcar or other vehicle running on permanent rails;

Road traffic law lays down a range of requirements which must be satisfied in relation to both the vehicle and the driver in order to use a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place. A vehicle, when in use in a public place, must comply with the requirements of the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 to 2002, the Road Traffic (Construction and Use of Vehicles) Regulations 2003 to 2004 and the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 to 1996. These regulations prescribe the requirements in relation to essential matters such as brakes, steering, mirrors, safety belts, safety glass, headlamps, rear lighting, indicators, reflectors, etc.

In addition when a mechanically propelled vehicle is registered for use on the road it must comply with European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval 2002/24/EC and a Certificate of Conformity will be required when applying for registration. Compliance with such approval ensures that the vehicle meets minimum agreed EC safety and environmental standards. S.I. 412 of 2005 transposes 2002/24/EC into Irish law.

EC Directive 2002/24/EC (as amended) contains in its scope electric vehicles. Revenue currently require that all mopeds, motorcycles, trikes and quads registered in Ireland must have a EC Certificate of Conformity to EC Directive 2002/24/EC (as amended). This certificate of conformity is supplied by the vehicle manufacturer and produced at vehicle registration. In the event of a vehicle not having an EC CoC, an application should be made by the vehicle manufacturer to the relevant approval authorities. The manufacturer submits prototype(s) of the vehicle type representative to the approval authorities. If the prototype(s) pass the requirements of the Directive (2002/24/EC), individual CoC’s can be issued by the manufacturer for each representative sample manufactured. A driving licence is required in order to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place and electrically propelled mopeds with a maximum design speed of 45km/hr or less would require a Category M driving licence. The driver of a motor cycle (including scooters) and a passenger carried on the motor are required to each wear a crash helmet while the motor cycle is used in a public place. It is a further requirement of road traffic law for use of a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place that the driver has third party insurance cover to meet personal injury and property damage caused by their negligent driving.

I don't think that's actually the case. They need to be taxed and insured.

No they don't unless can do above such a speed and engine capacity.

Hence cops don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

MAG Ireland Article

Here's some good info on the legalities from the main motorcycling group in Ireland. Essentially they're illegal unless registered, taxed and insured. I have heard of Gardai seizing them. I've seen three of these in the past week with one guy almost killing himself as he couldn't stop it. Electric bikes would be a better all round choice but they currently cost more than the €400 you can pick one of the motorized BSO up for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Image removed, you are accusing him without the right to reply or even providing proof. If this specific rider is your issue, report him to the Gardai. Otherwise, carry on.

I'm sure if face is removed picture would be OK just as an example.

No they don't unless can do above such a speed and engine capacity.

Hence cops don't care.

So surely that would be the case if I just got a moped and had the speed limited on it. I wouldn't need tax or insurance.

I complained and they responded fairly quickly:

Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention.

Deliveroo takes all rider complaints extremely seriously since the public is our most important consideration. We expect the highest levels of professionalism and service from all our rider partners, including adhering to the Highway Code at all times.

I apologise unreservedly for any distress caused to you that may have arisen from this situation. It is clear that the standards we expect were not met on this occasion and this is, in no uncertain terms, completely unacceptable.

I have recorded your feedback for our Rider Operations team who will work with our rider partners to follow up this matter. Our Rider Operations team will ensure that we take the appropriate steps to prevent, as far as practicable, any reoccurrence of these issues in the future.

If you do have any further concerns, please let me know so we may investigate further.

Kind regards,

Billy
    Customer Support

So surely that would be the case if I just got a moped and had the speed limited on it. I wouldn't need tax or insurance.

No because the cc of the engine dictates that. Mopeds can do 50km/h or over.

Power output also dictates whether it needs a plate, insurance etc.

As I said already you could get these bike from factory my dad had one years ago made by NSU and had pedals on it so one would need to pedal to get it moving 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No because the cc of the engine dictates that. Mopeds can do 50km/h or over.

Power output also dictates whether it needs a plate, insurance etc.

As I said already you could get these bike from factory my dad had one years ago made by NSU and had pedals on it so one would need to pedal to get it moving 1st.

Please quote or provide links to the law which gives special exemptions to small-engined motorcycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I complained and they responded fairly quickly:
    Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention.

Deliveroo takes all rider complaints extremely seriously since the public is our most important consideration. We expect the highest levels of professionalism and service from all our rider partners, including adhering to the Highway Code at all times.

Looks like boilerplate. And UK boilerplate at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Looks like boilerplate. And UK boilerplate at that.

Billy is probably not his real name either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That probably was a proper moped (in the original sense of the word). They're properly set up for greater forces and speeds, unlike a mountain bike with a petrol engine Frankensteined onto it.

This is how they are getting away at the moment as its still a pedal powered bike. It technically needs one to pedal 1st to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I overtook one of these fools the other day with pure pedal power, the look on his face... priceless

This is how they are getting away at the moment as its still a pedal powered bike. It technically needs one to pedal 1st to get going.

No it's not pedal power , the engine works regardless of weather they are pedalling

Pedal power clause is only for electric bikes

) cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling, and

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Deliveroo wrote: »
    We expect the highest levels of professionalism and service from all our rider partners, including adhering to the Highway Code at all times.
    do they pay them accordingly?

ted1 wrote: »
    No it's not pedal power , the engine works regardless of weather they are pedalling

It still has pedals attached and read what I said. Nowhere did I say they must keep pedalling.

There were real from the factory types of these years ago like the NSU but these are all strap onto anything types now. These bikes are not designed for this and I can predict some serious injuries or deaths caused due to there use.

Cheap way of getting around.

You sir are talking through your hoop.
    If it's below 50CC it's a moped
    “moped” means a two-wheel vehicle (category L1e) or a three-wheel vehicle (category L2e) with a maximum design speed of not more than 45 km/h and characterised by—

(a) in the case of a two-wheel type, an engine whose:

(i) cylinder capacity does not exceed 50 cm3 in the case of the internal combustion engine type,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/si/412/made/en/print

do they pay them accordingly?

Don't understand the big craze for all these but the company is making a killing off the peddlers.

• Advertisement

It still has pedals attached and read what I said. Nowhere did I say they must keep pedalling.

But you alluded to it being a bike because it still has pedals, and the only legislation which is in anyway relevant covers e-bikes where the engine only operates while it's being pedalling.

Bottom line is that they are illegal and you have no idea of the law.

Advertisement