Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And I thought the ones without lights were bad.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Cheap way of getting around.
    I can think of a much cheaper way!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ted1 wrote: »
    You sir are talking through your hoop.
    If it's below 50CC it's a moped
    “moped” means a two-wheel vehicle (category L1e) or a three-wheel vehicle (category L2e) with a maximum design speed of not more than 45 km/h and characterised by—

(a) in the case of a two-wheel type, an engine whose:

(i) cylinder capacity does not exceed 50 cm3 in the case of the internal combustion engine type,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/si/412/made/en/print

Hold on if I took out a NSU which has pedals and an engine I could happily go around on it without any of what you say.

Incidentally, there was a agent from Deliveroo in the bike park in Drury Street recently trying to recruit cyclists. He got me on a bad day and I had a right go at him about the appalling conduct of many of their delivery cyclists. Felt bad about it afterwards as he was ever so polite and just doing his job. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hold on if I took out a NSU which has pedals and an engine I could happily go around on it without any of what you say.
    Please cite a source for this information. I think you're just making it up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

eeguy wrote: »
    Billy is probably not his real name either

Agree. Reckon it may be William...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Indeed you could, but you would be committing numerous offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not according to the law , it's the same law that stops kids pushing cars around town.

It's a mechanical propelled vehicle and as such requires registration, tax, insurance, licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Lumen wrote: »
    Ha! That dude almost clipped me yesterday as I was walking along the footpath on Camden St.

For the sake of clarity, that bike has a petrol engine.

ILLEGAL! OVERRATED! BUILD A WALL!

Really do not appreciate you starting any thread singling out "Deliveroos"

:P *

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mrcheez wrote: »
    Really do not appreciate you starting any thread singling out "Deliveroos"
    He didn't start it and I'm not on their books ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

a lot of em are foreigners though

*ducks*

;)

• Advertisement

*ducks*

;)
    If I order a Chinese or Mexican, I'd be upset if I got an Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

*ducks*

;)

Foreign Ducks cycling around delivering stuff????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

Incidentally, there was a agent from Deliveroo in the bike park in Drury Street recently trying to recruit cyclists. He got me on a bad day and I had a right go at him about the appalling conduct of many of their delivery cyclists. Felt bad about it afterwards as he was ever so polite and just doing his job. :o

But you could cover all North Dublin and Wicklow deliveries for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Foreign Ducks cycling around delivering stuff????
    "Der tekken ar jobs" say the pigeons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If I order a Chinese or Mexican, I'd be upset if I got an Irish.

Probably why my Coddle_U_Like delivery service never took off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I have some sympathy for the Deliveroonians. They are almost uniformly ill prepared for the job they are trying to do. They are trying to grind around on badly maintained bike shaped objects which are not up to the amount of punishment that they will have to endure cycling around day after day in all conditions. Lights are pretty poorly if they are in situ at all. I'd guess that the riders are badly paid and, under such conditions, getting the money together to buy better lights and maintain your bike must be really difficult.

I'd also guess that the riders don't stick at it for very long either because if your bike breaks down, you may not have the wherewithal to get it back on the road. Plus it may be the middle of the night with no way of getting bike parts.

I met a Deliveroongian at the end of my street with the bike upside down and a puzzled look on their face. I checked to see if he needed a hand and discovered that he was trying to fix a puncture. The device he was trying to fix it with was a football pump with a football style needle nozzle! I patched up the tube and reinflated it with my track pump (an object that inspired deep wonder in the misfortunate). As I sent him on his way I knew that he would inevitably get another puncture in the future and there wouldn't be anyone around to help him out and that would be the end of his Deliveroogling. Poignant really.

There was one time I saw a Deliveroobot that looked superficially like they knew what they were at and had a decent looking bike. He zipped up to a restaurant, rested the bike against the wall, and walked directly inside. No lock! No scan of the street. No nothing. Just plonked the bike down and walked straight in. In the city centre. Poor flecker will get a horrible shock one day when the bike takes off without him on it.

I don't know if there is any way the different riders can help each other out or if they have any contact with each other. It does look like they are just thrown to the wolves each day and if they survive they can be kicked back into the arena again the following day for another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If this was a regular company they'd be supplying fit for purpose branded bicycles for the job (like An Post), and teaching their employees to do simple roadside repairs.

So I think the simplest explanation is that Deliveroo are exploitative regulation-dodging bastoids sucking on the souls of the working poor.

Lumen wrote: »
    If this was a regular company they'd be supplying fit for purpose branded bicycles for the job (like An Post), and teaching their employees to do simple roadside repairs.

So I think the simplest explanation is that Deliveroo are exploitative regulation-dodging bastoids sucking on the souls of the working poor.

They'd also be giving PPE. Lights would be considered PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, getting to and from work (total daily time in saddle probably forty minutes to an hour on average) is a far cry from doing deliveries all day. Based on my BSO years, your meagre wages self-employed income will start getting eaten by the cost of replacing parts.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot for a moment to pretend that Deliveroo is a platform, like eBay, facilitating a free exchange of money between a party seeking a service and a party offering that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.banggood.com/60cc-2-Stroke-Motorized-Bicycle-Cycle-Petrol-Gas-Engine-Motor-Kit-p-988166.html?rmmds=search

This is the kit you see around for the most part. It's over 50cc, so larger than a moped class. You're in A1 territory as far as licensing.

I would still love to build it and give it a go, legality aside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would still love to build it and give it a go, legality aside!
    Would it be OK for off road use? I remember some electric mountain bikes seemed to circumvent the laws (in some countries anyway) by having a switch you were only meant to flip when off road, think it just let you get to higher speeds still with assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Plenty of these bikes on adverts.
    Link 1
    Link 2

They are loud as hell and make a lot of smell, I think they are 2 stroke engines. I meet three of them almost daily in Phoenix park. Three lads, looks like they are coming from building site. I saw them once racing on military road there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's an ancient kids' bike as well (same model as my current bike which I got 15 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

twinsen wrote: »
    Plenty of these bikes on adverts.
    Link 1
    Link 2

They are loud as hell and make a lot of smell, I think they are 2 stroke engines. I meet three of them almost daily in Phoenix park. Three lads, looks like they are coming from building site. I saw them once racing on military road there.

The names of the bikes are almost as good as the sofas in dfs or tables in oak furnitureland. Should be illegal to sell these. It will be too late when somebody gets badly hurt due to one. No CE cert. No TUV No BS. Nothing except total ignorance of the law and what is classified as a cycle and what is a motor vehicle requiring insurance, tax and licencing to operate. How can the brakes of a cycle be expected to stop a motorised vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, getting to and from work (total daily time in saddle probably forty minutes to an hour on average) is a far cry from doing deliveries all day. Based on my BSO years, your meagre wages self-employed income will start getting eaten by the cost of replacing parts.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot for a moment to pretend that Deliveroo is a platform, like eBay, facilitating a free exchange of money between a party seeking a service and a party offering that service.
    They'd also be giving PPE. Lights would be considered PPE.

The obligations on businesses in the Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Act aren't limited to employees - they apply also to contractors and visitors. Deliveroo have a clear legal requirement here.

The obligations on businesses in the Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Act aren't limited to employees - they apply also to contractors and visitors. Deliveroo have a clear legal requirement here.

The pretence, on Deliveroo's part, is that the contract is between the delivery person and the recipient.

This needs to be comprehensively debunked and thrown out everywhere. The Deliveroonians clearly work for Deliveroo, even if they're not employees, as such.

check_six wrote: »
    .....They are trying to grind around on badly maintained bike shaped objects which are not up to the amount of punishment that they will have to endure .....
    There are exceptions! :eek:

http://road.cc/content/news/198272-fastest-fast-food-deliveroo-rider-full-team-sky-kit-pinarello

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The pretence, on Deliveroo's part, is that the contract is between the delivery person and the recipient.

This needs to be comprehensively debunked and thrown out everywhere. The Deliveroonians clearly work for Deliveroo, even if they're not employees, as such.

This is the whole point of the UK Court case. They are employees and must get benefits. The relationship with the restaurant is actually Deliveroos. The rider is being exploited and it needs to be challenged here too and the laws on this type of employment tightened (would apply to Uber too, if they ever get clear of the Taxi regulator issues)

There was a thread recently about the UK case.

I pasted this link back then:
    https://rangeofreasonableresponses.com/2016/10/29/why-uber-lost-in-the-employment-tribunal//

I'm not that knowledgeable about the subject, but in that post he says that Uber drivers were deemed to work for Uber, rather than being employees of Uber. That still means they have certain rights that are being denied them, and I assume the same largely applies to Deliveroo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I seen one lad literally zip by me on one of them contraptions, wasn't Deilveroo from what I could see, needless to say two fuchs where not given by him. Headphones on and the whole lot.

I'm a motorcyclist also and this guy just literally zipping along over taking bikes, no lifesavers or nothing. Was nearly going to have a word with him to take it easy.

What else I find funny, in that email reply. Did they just refer to them as a 'partner'? So the guy cycling the bike is a partner, Jesus it really is a race to the bottom with business terminology.

Have no time for the Deliveroo crowd, total bunch of cowboys.

BTW fair play to that poster who stopped to help that guy, what a decent thing to do. Least there is some hope for society and some good people left in it.

Advertisement