Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf hunt

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Of course you can't beat having bigger/faster/better - but all this comes with a cost. Perhaps cost isn't a concern - in which case, he should fire away as you suggest. However, if foremost amongst his buying criteria is value for money, then he should buy in at the sweet spot where the majority of the depreciation has been shed. If he needs the 30kW, then I suggest he holds out until they depreciate further (if that's practical to do so).QUOTE]

This.
    100% I will not purchase until my Avensis gets it's NCT and goes on sale so this is mid April at a minimum (border of voluntary 3 month early NCT test).
    I don't mind having my car for sale for a few months whilst driving it's replacement.

Today's value probably lies in an Acenta 151 at €9.8k, higher spec Tekna at €10.5k is a no-brainer for me to pay a modest amount more for.
    30kW model a lot more, so perhaps wait until next year when they've depreciated more.....lots to this about

@slave1: So it's the 2nd car you're replacing which is providing you with an excellent mpg and with which you are clocking up low mileage per annum. With that, (if costs are the primary factor?), then you can't justify swapping it out with something that costs €16K. Cut that figure in 2 and the math may start to make since (run the numbers yourself).

You are correct, that would be too much, I was just indicating what price they are now, as I just posted it makes more sense to wait another year to purchase a 30kw when more have come off lease and they've depreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

slave1 wrote: »
    Today's value probably lies in an Acenta 151 at €9.8k, higher spec Tekna at €10.5k is a no-brainer for me to pay a modest amount more for.
    One thing to bear in mind when doing your car trawl, not all of the advertisers/dealers explicitly state whether the battery is leased (flex) or owned outright. You need a car with the latter. If you can snag a car with 6.6kW on-board charging, then all the better. Ordinarily I'd always recommend that but from what you describe, it sounds like you don't need it. Again, the dealers don't specify (a lot of them simply don't know - including the seller of my own car - had to ask some specific questions to figure out if it had the feature).

One thing to bear in mind when doing your car trawl, not all of the advertisers/dealers explicitly state whether the battery is leased (flex) or owned outright. You need a car with the latter. If you can snag a car with 6.6kW on-board charging, then all the better. Ordinarily I'd always recommend that but from what you describe, it sounds like you don't need it. Again, the dealers don't specify (a lot of them simply don't know - including the seller of my own car - had to ask some specific questions to figure out if it had the feature).

Absolutely, like any purchase there will be due diligence re Finance, lease, battery report, inspection, video walkaround, more photos, review of service etc. I'm only looking at non-flex Leaf's.

Absolutely, like any purchase there will be due diligence re Finance, lease, battery report, inspection, video walkaround, more photos, review of service etc. I'm only looking at non-flex Leaf's.
    Yup, remains to be seen if that example you linked to from Lookers Nissan is flex or battery-owned though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yup, remains to be seen if that example you linked to from Lookers Nissan is flex or battery-owned though.

Neither of them show up as Flex on cartell.ie. That's a good first indicator, but obviously not proof. Both pretty good value at a bit over €10k for a 2 year old 24kWh car. You'd be bonkers to buy a €30k Leaf new at this stage, even €20k for a one year old 30kWh one...

Regarding myself wanting to drive it more than the CRV, this just is not practical, I had a 400km round trip with work Wednesday and I golf anywhere I can - Donegal, Dublin coast, up North etc and the Leaf would not sustain these trips.
    Also, my drive to work is a straight 48km run with no traffic or lights so perfectly suited for a diesel whereas herself is in and around town most days.

For sure I will take the Leaf here and there and likely look forward to the day she needs the CRV so I can treat myself but in the main it makes more sense for me to use the CRV and herself the Leaf...

You're thinking worst case, I'm saying that there are plenty of trips well suited to a leaf and both you and your Wife may very well find yourselves wanting to drive it a lot more.

Anyway think very carefully and don't expect your Wife to just accept the limitations of the leaf no matter what type of driving you think she does, it could backfire badly.

Got those who brought in from the UK, how easy is it to change the data readout from miles to kilometres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Got those who brought in from the UK, how easy is it to change the data readout from miles to kilometres?

It's just a few button presses on the dash. Simple.

So got a bit of time today to crunch some XL workings...

Given my base of certain colours and mileage (<25,000 miles) I did a pretty long search on Autotrader and this spits out based on 24kW models, 12 bars, main dealer and average of lowest 5 on offer

Loss % of New
    Brand new 2017 Acenta £28,130
    1 year old 2016 Acenta £14,879 £13,251 53%
    2 year old 2015 Acenta £9,900 £4,979 35%
    3 year old 2014 Acenta £8,800 £1,100 31%

Brand new 2017 Tekna £30,130
    1 year old 2016 Tekna £14,862 £15,268 49%
    2 year old 2015 Tekna £11,995 £2,867 40%
    3 year old 2014 Tekna £10,697 £1,298 36%

So e.g. a 2 year old Acenta costs £9,900 which is £4,979 cheaper than a 1 year newer car and 35% of the new cost (the headers don't appear over the correct columns for me)
    Some ads are hard to follow, I did my best to exclude Flex's, I think they are easy enough to spot because there's a step in prices that is quite noticeable.
    Some of the ads include home installation which I would likely not avail of and to be consistent I tried to exclude the 6.6kW option as lots of ads are not very clear, a few had a free cable or two and included in the averages above.
    They are all asking prices.
    There's a bit of an anomaly between the prices of 1 year old Acentas and Teknas, this could be down to low mileage Acentas with 6.6kw perhaps unadvertised, maybe late 2016 when first registered? in other words I think the 1 y/o Acentas are priced high in the samples I looked at.

There's not much between a 2 y/o Acenta and a 3 y/o Tekna so that appears to be the choice, is it worth losing a year, perhaps some mileage and of course a year's battery warranty for higher spec.
    Interesting morning

Will continue to monitor over the next few months, was speccing out a charge point and probably do the cabling myself and just the lekkie to do the terminations...

• Advertisement

So got a bit of time today to crunch some XL workings...

Given my base of certain colours and mileage (<25,000 miles) I did a pretty long search on Autotrader and this spits out based on 24kW models, 12 bars, main dealer and average of lowest 5 on offer

Loss % of New
    Brand new 2017 Acenta £28,130
    1 year old 2016 Acenta £14,879 £13,251 53%
    2 year old 2015 Acenta £9,900 £4,979 35%
    3 year old 2014 Acenta £8,800 £1,100 31%

Brand new 2017 Tekna £30,130
    1 year old 2016 Tekna £14,862 £15,268 49%
    2 year old 2015 Tekna £11,995 £2,867 40%
    3 year old 2014 Tekna £10,697 £1,298 36%

Im not sure about your new figures.
    A 24kWh 2017 Acenta is £24k RRP and the UK is a bit different to here in that the Leaf is heavily discounted when new so no one pays the 24k. They generally give 3-4k off RRP.

Where did you get £28k for a 2017 Acenta?

Likewise for Tekna, before discount they have an RRP of £26k.

Here is one of their recent offers (see cash price) which is routine over there and why they are so cheap to us to import as the same deals are not done here and this is for the top of the range 30kWh Tekna!

407768.png

KCross wrote: »
    Im not sure about your new figures.
    A 24kWh 2017 Acenta is £24k RRP and the UK is a bit different to here in that the Leaf is heavily discounted when new so no one pays the 24k. They generally give 3-4k off RRP.

Where did you get £28k for a 2017 Acenta?

Likewise for Tekna, before discount they have an RRP of £26k.

Pulled the figures from honestjohn, searched again on the Nissan site and yeah, he's a bit off so I reposted, in any case will be the same conclusion...

Loss % of New
    Brand new 2017 Acenta £24,190
    1 year old 2016 Acenta £14,879 £9,311 62%
    2 year old 2015 Acenta £9,900 £4,979 41%
    3 year old 2014 Acenta £8,800 £1,100 36%

Brand new 2017 Tekna £26,190
    1 year old 2016 Tekna £14,862 £11,328 57%
    2 year old 2015 Tekna £11,995 £2,867 46%
    3 year old 2014 Tekna £10,697 £1,298 41%

That £23,799 cash price for a 30kW Tekna seems a bit odd, I wonder is it representative in some form or manner as part of the PCP calculation or something, it's a full £2k below the list price?
    Then again the 30kW Tekna is €29,390 list price new here so maybe...

So how does the price-point of what you're looking at buying right now compare with the current fuel efficient diesel you're using at the moment? Not done the calcs on it but seems to me you're better off sticking with what you have right now than spending the type of cash you have in mind?

That £23,799 cash price for a 30kW Tekna seems a bit odd, I wonder is it representative in some form or manner as part of the PCP calculation or something, it's a full £2k below the list price?
    Then again the 30kW Tekna is €29,390 list price new here so maybe...

It's the cash price, no PCP involved.

What I'm saying is no one pays the RRP in the UK. The real world price is £3-4K below RRP.

It's a bit like getting €4k scrappage here just that they don't need a scrapper to get the discount in the U.K.

Well, I'll be taking advantage of that so :pac:

So how does the price-point of what you're looking at buying right now compare with the current fuel efficient diesel you're using at the moment? Not done the calcs on it but seems to me you're better off sticking with what you have right now than spending the type of cash you have in mind?

Hi, not replacing a diesel, replacing a 1.6L Avensis which is a great car, getting me almost 43mpg and never a spot of bother, but I estimate around €1.4k savings per annum between fuel, tax and servicing so a £10k Leaf will pay for itself completely in around 6.5years and essentially cost me nothing thereafter plus it suits the driving pattern now experiencing

Hi, not replacing a diesel, replacing a 1.6L Avensis which is a great car, getting me almost 43mpg and never a spot of bother, but I estimate around €1.4k savings per annum between fuel, tax and servicing so a £10k Leaf will pay for itself completely in around 6.5years and essentially cost me nothing thereafter plus it suits the driving pattern now experiencing

That's fair enough - so long as you have it calculated out/sanity checked. That's excellent MPG though for a petrol ICE. You must be doing serious mileage to make this switch work out.

Booked herself in for a test drive Friday, gonna check the Irish prices at the same time and see how they (don't) stack up

• Advertisement

Interesting tool, you input your location and it gives a rough range circle superimposed on the map, obviously does not take into account roads that twist and turn etc but I thought it was handy as a rough guide on the Leaf's range

Interesting tool, you input your location and it gives a rough range circle superimposed on the map, obviously does not take into account roads that twist and turn etc but I thought it was handy as a rough guide on the Leaf's range

There's a similar feature on the gps mapping on the Leaf. However, the greater issue with the Leaf is the level of confidence that one can have as regards the estimated range (i.e. you can't). Ioniq users seem to be suggesting that the range indicated for them is real...

Leaf range indicator seems perfectly accurate to me once you're driving along. Yes climb a steep hill and it will drop , go back down and it will adjust again or drive normally and then put the boot down it will drop the estimated range but I am used to it so I see no issue with it , not on the current Gen Leaf, the original leaf was a bit all over the place.

Leaf range indicator seems perfectly accurate to me once you're driving along. Yes climb a steep hill and it will drop , go back down and it will adjust again or drive normally and then put the boot down it will drop the estimated range but I am used to it so I see no issue with it , not on the current Gen Leaf, the original leaf was a bit all over the place.

Yup - you've suggested this previously. That's not my personal experience - your mileage may vary I guess (no pun intended) - but that is why they call it the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) - so lots of others are of a similar viewpoint.

Not saying that's not your experience - just that there are many others that are frustrated by it.

I don't know but I am happy enough with the so called GOM works for me pretty well, probably because I know what to expect from it.

I know pretty much what I will get from it at a certain speed and if there's a FCP on route then I'm not really that concerned.

I understand those estimates are that, estimates, and will vary based on driving pattern, I used to add to my "kilometres left before refill" on our SMax when I took it for a spin, could have been say 925kms 'left' at beginning of journey and then 60kms of motorway later could be 1,000kms 'left'

People need to get more familiar with what they get at a certain speed per charge rather than rely on the GOM anyway.

People need to get more familiar with what they get at a certain speed per charge rather than rely on the GOM anyway.

I agree - but (although early days in terms of feedback), the Ioniq folks seem to be suggesting that what they're seeing are much more accurate estimates??

I agree - but (although early days in terms of feedback), the Ioniq folks seem to be suggesting that what they're seeing are much more accurate estimates??

That's fine to claim if they tested the range from 100% charge to 0.

I don't know how the Ioniq can be be more accurate, I mean it will still have to adjust to changes in driving style, terrain etc.

• Advertisement

I don't know how the Ioniq can be be more accurate, I mean it will still have to adjust to changes in driving style, terrain etc.
    I'd be inclined to agree - but from what I'm reading on here and elsewhere, they're saying its accurate...or is it a case that it's more accurate than the Leaf GOM?

Time will tell once there's more feedback out there.

Advertisement