Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf hunt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That's fine to claim if they tested the range from 100% charge to 0.

I don't know how the Ioniq can be be more accurate, I mean it will still have to adjust to changes in driving style, terrain etc.

My view is that the Leaf adjusts the GOM too quickly giving the "inaccurate" readings.

If it increased the interval on which it calculated it might be more accurate

The Ioniq is probably better because it has much longer range and so they can increase the interval and keep it more accurate over the full range if the car.

If you stretched it out again to a 500km car it would be more accurate again over the 500km's.

I don't know all I can say is that the GOM in the Leaf is pretty good to me. A lot of original leaf owners had a lot of issues but I didn't hear of the same with the current gen.

I don't know how the Ioniq can for instance show a range estimate after a full charge based from the previous days driving and then be accurate for the next drive, that would mean it knows the future.

I know that when I get in the Leaf after it will base my driving on the previous day, I know for instance that when I'm off shift and driving around not driving mad that it could show 140 Kms on the GOM and if I am heading to work then I know to expect about 110-130 Kms and the GOM will reflect this after some time driving.

What's also useful is to go on to the carwings website and look at the consumption in Kwh for the most familiar trips so you know what range to expect on a full charge for that type of driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have limited experience driving both cars but have obviously read a bit about them. I'm getting the impression that the GOM when you start the journey (probably particularly when it is full or near full) is far too optimistic. When I drove it gently, the GOM was accurate enough. But when I floored it a good bit over a few km, it dropped like a stone

The Ioniq has a far higher range because it is lighter, has much better aerodynamics and better efficiency and so the range meter doesn't need to be so overly optimistic. At several points during my 160km over 2 days did I check and there was never more than a few km between what range it told me (compared to what range it told me before) and what I'd actually driven. I'd say an easy way to make the Ioniq range indicator fail too is to fully charge it and then drive at top speed (165km/h) for half an hour :p

Sounds like the GOM is similar to the Leaf then, and it makes sense, there really isn't a way you can make it 100% accurate because it can't tell what way you're going to drive it or what road/weather conditions it might encounter and it has to relearn from the previous trip.

IF you're driving at a steady 80, 100 Kph etc and similar terrain then it will be pretty accurate, climb a steep hill and it drops like a stone travel downhill and it climbs and by then on level ground it adjusts again.

The GOM can only estimate based on current conditions but it needs time to adjust or it would be all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sounds like the GOM is similar to the Leaf then

No it isn't :p

• Advertisement

Right Ted. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Anyhow, getting back on topic..:p

Missus just back from a test drive, dealer went through pretty much everything with her, how to charge, brake regeneration she mentioned and plenty of room in car for her needs etc.

So, we're a go, asked for Irish prices new and used which I will go through this evening but really can't see anything other than a UK/NI import around April/May timeframe.
    Will continue to monitor the UK websites to see how prices are tracking, expecting downward pressure with new Reg's and possible PCP/Lease returns, here's hoping anyhow

Whilst browsing used Leaf's I always go through the pictures to the one of the main dash readout as I'm only interested in 12bars, that's a line in the sand I've drawn.
    Next to notice is some Leaf's have say 78 miles in the photo on full charge and some have say 85 miles.
    Can I take it this is user dependant and not necessarily an indication of the battery wellness in itself? i.e. I should not be concerned with whether it's 78 or 85, 24kW Leafs obviously...

I think I can but looking for other opinions....

Absolutely, this will vary depending on the previous driving style and is no indication of battery health. Only the battery capacity bars tell you this and leaf spy.

For earlier than 132 leafs (the updated model) the battery deteriorates a lot faster so you'd be better off to look at this generation.

Current minimum I'm looking at is the 14 Tekna or 15 Acenta, the "1.5" models, not interested in the 1.0 model

• Advertisement

Absolutely, this will vary depending on the previous driving style and is no indication of battery health. Only the battery capacity bars tell you this and leaf spy.

For earlier than 132 leafs (the updated model) the battery deteriorates a lot faster so you'd be better off to look at this generation.

I wonder how many Dealers will be aware of Leafspy though?

slave1 wrote: »

None. You need to do the LeafSpy bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Current minimum I'm looking at is the 14 Tekna or 15 Acenta, the "1.5" models, not interested in the 1.0 model
    When do PCP deals generally fall off? Is it 2 years or 3 years?

When I helped a colleague buying a leaf last year the dealer didn't look at all surprised when we used leafspy to get the battery data. He said that all the potential buyers do the same.

Another wandering of mine, dealer demo cars, typically with low mileage, probably rarely seen a granny cable, any thoughts regarding battery condition practice?

Another wandering of mine, dealer demo cars, typically with low mileage, probably rarely seen a granny cable, any thoughts regarding battery condition practice?

I bought a demo car at 1yr old. It had 40 quick charges and about 180 normal charges.

Every dealer is going to be different as to how they treat it so you need to look at Leafspy and just ask them straight out how they treated it and see if they give you a reasonable response.

As long as the car was being regularly used and not left at 100% for days or weeks on end it should be fine.

Anyone know where the fuse box is in a Leaf, I'll want to hard wire my dashcam

Under the bonnet , passenger side...... have fun !

Ah fek, much easier when there's a fuse box inside the 'cabin', that will an interesting morning so, better save up my curses

Remember to keep away from anything that says high voltage ! :eek: :D

• Advertisement

There are good threads and YouTube videos on speakev.com which show it in full. Look there first.

All good, it's in the cabin, phew

door%20removed.JPG

Nice one, there's one under the bonnet too if you ever need to know. :-)

Feck, 2016 30kW Acenta with 6.6charging, 4,225 miles demo from a Nissan dealer, £14k.
    Popped up on Autotrader last night, phoned at 9.30 and it was sold first thing at 9AM this morning, would have been very tempted at that price, very tempted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Feck, 2016 30kW Acenta with 6.6charging, 4,225 miles demo from a Nissan dealer, £14k.
    Popped up on Autotrader last night, phoned at 9.30 and it was sold first thing at 9AM this morning, would have been very tempted at that price, very tempted

Or was it even real.

These things do happen .

listermint wrote: »
    Or was it even real.

These things do happen .

I noticed some click bait like that when I was buying last year as well. I'd ring them and they'd say, "Ah sorry, just gone, but we have this other one..."

@slave1, all you need to do is check that add in another week or two and if its still there its just click bait.

Having said that, the price is roughly what you should be looking for.

Oh, I'm used to the click bait tactic, once he told me it was sold I said take it down off the internet and put up whatever else they had, that I wasn't going to discuss other Leaf's they had for sale without seeing photos and specs.
    It was not there up to Sunday so time will tell if they leave it there for a while.

What I can say is that a lot of sellers are misquoting 24kW as 30kw, I've seen a few examples when I check the registration against a database.
    Hopefully I'll get it the other way around, a 30kW for a 24kW price:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Oh, I'm used to the click bait tactic
    The only criticism I'd have of autotrader (albeit I accept in fairness it would be difficult for them to police....but then there are serial offenders .....particularly the car supermarkets).

The idea is that you make contact - so they have a live lead to work over on the phone. Better still, with the supermarkets, there's every chance that someone will come down there (if they're relatively local) - on the basis of what's advertised. Once they have you in front of them, they'd go to work on you proper and try and get you into signing up for a different motor.

It's sharp practice that deceives people and wastes their time.

Well I'm still looking, spend the morning detailing the Avensis to start getting her ready for sale and picked up an untethered home charger so should have my hands on that next week, will do the cabling and install myself and just get a lekky to hook up...

• Advertisement

Is there any free database that can identify whether a Leaf has the 6.6kW charger on board, there's plenty of free ones where I can find the date on the road and the model variant but I can't find anything on fast charge option.
    Would save me a lot of time and emails to dealers if I could just do it myself.
    Cheers

Advertisement