Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf hunt

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Stupid wind woke me up.....
    Q1. If the remote app is not up and running can you set a timer on the Leaf itself as to when to charge (overnight)
    Q2. I have a 32amp charger on its way to me and will install with 10sq cable, but if the car is 3.3w will I still require a priority switch seeing as the draw will now be 3.3w.....

Yes you can set the timer via the head unit.

A priority switch can be needed if you have electric showers on at the same time but if you have central heating then I suggest getting rid of the electric showers for pumped only showers and use the hot water in your tank. A lot of people have electric showers and waste all that hot water. You can use the immersion for warmer weather if you don't use your boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

slave1 wrote: »
    Q1. If the remote app is not up and running can you set a timer on the Leaf itself as to when to charge (overnight)
    yes.
    Q2. I have a 32amp charger on its way to me and will install with 10sq cable, but if the car is 3.3w will I still require a priority switch seeing as the draw will now be 3.3w.....
    Discuss with the sparks at the time of install. If it is advised, then it's not such a big deal or expense. As regards ripping out electric showers, I don't think thats the way to go. Everyone has different circumstances. I have 2x electrical showers in the house. They work perfectly as I'm not here in the evenings - so central heating not running most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Technically I'd say you need it. The reason being that "someone" else could plug into it and pull 7kW's or you might get a 7kW car yourself and forget to put in the priority switch.

Electricians tend to follow regulations rather than "sur till be grand" approach.

You are putting in a device that can draw 7kW so you need to wire it right, imo

If you can get an electrician to do otherwise do it with your eyes open.

Ha ha, hard to get this forum to stay away from the evils of electric showers.
    I have both an electric and pumped shower, 5 of us to get away each morning and the balance of two showers matches our needs at present...
    Thanks lads, I'll go ahead with the priority switch and give the shower priority as I'm sure the car can survive a few minutes of no connection on the extreme rate event of the evil electric shower clashing with the good electric car.

On the car front, the dealer has taken the car down off their website, I wonder was it sold yesterday after I chatted to them last.....

• Advertisement

Why I talk about the electric showers so much is because people really are not aware about the severe waste of energy if they already have a source of hot water, and I hate energy wasting even if it's not me wasting it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Why I talk about the electric showers so much is because people really are not aware about the severe waste of energy if they already have a source of hot water, and I hate energy wasting even if it's not me wasting it :-)

I have to back up the Mad Mad_Lad here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have both an electric and pumped shower, 5 of us to get away each morning and the balance of two showers matches our needs at present...

My pumped shower works on both showers :)

A 2 bar pump is plenty for having two very nice powerful showers at the same time (probably even 3). As long as you have enough hot water. That's what my 360l cylinder is for. And quite a lot of the water is heated up by the sun even in winter :cool:

Really, anyone with a gas boiler needs a pumped shower. Not expensive either, about €200-€300 for a pump and a very simple installation (did the last one myself and I am far from handy). And I would recommend solar water heating for large families (5+) who use a lot of hot water.

I think solar PV is better , can make much better use of the energy but for now of course there is no feed in tariff. Once your solar hot water has been heated the solar is idle with Solar PV you can use it to power the house or charge the car/both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

s.welstead wrote: »
    k123456 wrote: »
    How do you claim back the VAT, on the UK side, what is involved please

VAT411 form and buy from the dealer VAT free. Good luck in finding a dealer that will take you serious though.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-728-new-means-of-transport/vat-notice-728-new-means-of-transport
    Section 6
    Thanks , is is all Leafs where the VAT that can be reclaimed, or only newer ones, etc

• Advertisement

I think solar PV is better , can make much better use of the energy but for now of course there is no feed in tariff.

Sure is, but not if you can't use it. And using it mainly to heat up your water is far more expensive and less efficient than tubes.

If your solar PV would just turn back your meter or have a decent feed in tariff (like in most EU countries) and the panels had a substantial subsidy (like in most EU countries), my 100% south facing roof would be plastered with PV panels (like in most EU countries). Hopefully one day that will be the case here too, but it doesn't look like tomorrow or even next year...

For now, I'm using the solar tubes and would highly recommend it, but only if you use a lot of hot water (or buy cheap Chinese parts and install it yourself)

Middle of winter. Outside temp right now 6C, temp of the tubes on my roof 55C

(water above 45C is scorching)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    Middle of winter. Outside temp right now 6C, temp of the tubes on my roof 55C

(water above 45C is scorching)

Had an uncle who was fairly good at building stuff. He painted an old radiator black, put it in a glass box (to eliminate wind chill) and mounted it on the roof of a single storey extension. Pipes ran up to the 2nd coil in the tank and as hot water rises he didn't need to use a circulating pump (he had one just in case). System wasn't sealed so no risk of high pressure. Proper ghetto.

Sure is, but not if you can't use it. And using it mainly to heat up your water is far more expensive and less efficient than tubes.

If your solar PV would just turn back your meter or have a decent feed in tariff (like in most EU countries) and the panels had a substantial subsidy (like in most EU countries), my 100% south facing roof would be plastered with PV panels (like in most EU countries). Hopefully one day that will be the case here too, but it doesn't look like tomorrow or even next year...

For now, I'm using the solar tubes and would highly recommend it, but only if you use a lot of hot water (or buy cheap Chinese parts and install it yourself)

But once your water is heated you can't really use any solar energy with water only panels but with Solar PV you can, even if it's ticking the house over it's better than sitting idle.

Anyway we could go on a lot on this topic so I'll leave it at that.

But once your water is heated you can't really use any solar energy with water only panels but with Solar PV you can

No you can't. Unless you store it, which is very expensive. Your house in the middle of the day with nobody in it uses virtually no electricity. Now if storage was very cheap (EV battery?) or there was a decent feed in or meter roll back, that would be a different story. We'll talk again if / when that's the case :p

Apologies to rain on your shower :P

Deposit paid, settled on £13,250, 6months and a week old, it was returned by a customer who did not like it and brought in back to swap for an ICE deal that Nissan have.

Mileage is very low, I estimated I'll have to drive her 135kms a day before I bring her in for VRT appointment so a couple of fun drives ahead.

Have to say delighted now the search is over, I would not have thought a few months back that I'd get a 30kWh Acenta for that price so have no complaints.

Anyone have any transporter contacts they want to share?

You did very well, a lot of nearly new EV for your money. Well wear!

You're not going to pick it up yourself then? I think I would. Bit of a road trip :)

No, given the hassle of getting to Dublin or a ferry port and then driving back to Holyhead I could not be arsed for the Euro saving.
    I've done it before and I just don't have the annual leave to waste it on and don't want to do it over the weekend.
    On the blower now for quotes, should get it done for around €350 I reckon...

That sounds pretty cheap alright. Where's the car?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Reverse clocking :)

Get it clocked over the 6k, then fix it afterwards :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Well done. That's great news for ya. My search is only beginning. Expecting to buy in about 2 weeks

Also a '16 Leaf 30kWh? Even though you don't need the range, they are very good value for money and should be easier to sell on. Might as well go to a few Nissan dealers to see what they can do for you for a new car. I'd say grab them by the balls and you might get a super deal on a 24kWh model. Although that said, optional extras are nearly 100% written off in the first year, a mugs game. You'd be better off second hand with someone else taking the depreciation hit on the extras.

So, phoned around a good few transporter guys, some from Donedeal, some from a web search, they all bottom out at €350+VAT so for anyone out there thinking of the same you have your guide price.
    Hopefully will be updating this forum with some pictures late next week...

Guys, is there anything I need to ask the dealer to do tomorrow when servicing the car re EV Connect, wary of some of the grief new owners of used cars go through.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Guys, is there anything I need to ask the dealer to do tomorrow when servicing the car re EV Connect, wary of some of the grief new owners of used cars go through.....
    Have you got copies of log book, etc sent on to you? Have you done finance/crash check?

Contact evuk@nissan-services.eu . Tell them you are in the process of buying car reg # vin # and exporting to Ireland. Ask them if the current owner has registered for carwings/nissan connect. If they have not (and they hadn't in my case), then it's much easier to get access yourself. If they have, it may be a bit more complex (others here can advise possibly?) - but i'm sure it can be sorted.

Are you going to buy subject to you doing a leafspy check on the battery yourself? Otherwise, if its a nissan dealership - ask them to send you on a nissan battery report (not as good as a leafspy check but it doesn't cost them anything to provide you with same).

Have you got copies of log book, etc sent on to you? Have you done finance/crash check? Yes, yes, yes

Contact evuk@nissan-services.eu . Tell them you are in the process of buying car reg # vin # and exporting to Ireland. Ask them if the current owner has registered for carwings/nissan connect. If they have not (and they hadn't in my case), then it's much easier to get access yourself. If they have, it may be a bit more complex (others here can advise possibly?) - but i'm sure it can be sorted. Will do!

Are you going to buy subject to you doing a leafspy check on the battery yourself? Otherwise, if its a nissan dealership - ask them to send you on a nissan battery report (not as good as a leafspy check but it doesn't cost them anything to provide you with same) no, very low mileage, everything checks out, unlikely to have any battery damage at current age of vehicle

they all bottom out at €350+VAT

Is that from anywhere in the UK to anywhere in Ireland? Seem like a pretty good deal. Ferry can hardly be got below €100, flight €50, and will take a day of your man's life plus his expenses / tolls and quite a bit of petrol coming all the way over here. Oh wait!

Is that from anywhere in the UK to anywhere in Ireland? Seem like a pretty good deal. Ferry can hardly be got below €100, flight €50, and will take a day of your man's life plus his expenses / tolls and quite a bit of petrol coming all the way over here. Oh wait!

From Rochdale to Athlone, I'm sure there will be a number of cars on the transporter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No you can't. Unless you store it, which is very expensive. Your house in the middle of the day with nobody in it uses virtually no electricity. Now if storage was very cheap (EV battery?) or there was a decent feed in or meter roll back, that would be a different story. We'll talk again if / when that's the case :p

Use it to heat the water, delay start your dish washer, washing machine etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes you can set the timer via the head unit.

A priority switch can be needed if you have electric showers on at the same time but if you have central heating then I suggest getting rid of the electric showers for pumped only showers and use the hot water in your tank. A lot of people have electric showers and waste all that hot water. You can use the immersion for warmer weather if you don't use your boiler.

That's rubbish, we gave central heating but only use it for 4 months if the year . The rest of time we don't need it

Our electric shower heats only the water we use sinus 100% efficient

A immersion heats water regardless of how much you need and what temperature you need it.

Advertisement