Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf hunt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

slave1 wrote: »
    Can I suggest then that we have a separate thread for "electric showers & existing heavy electricity loading implications on EV home charge points" as that's really where the relevance with EV's end :)

Not really. There is an awful lot more to it than that. Particularly as long as there is no decent feed in tariff and we have the potential of these huge free batteries (EVs), several times bigger than a Tesla power wall (€7,000) sitting outside our homes unused.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Grand, afraid to say I'll have to unfollow my own thread so as I'm really not interested in all this talk about solar power water heating, pumped showers etc.
    I'll post back with some photos when she lands next week, going to do a dry install of the charge point run tomorrow, charger itself due next week also.

Well, at it since 9am, ran 11m of 6sq SWA close to the consumer unit, have the SWA routed through 1 1/4" waste pipe and then this waste pipe was closed in with ship-lap so nothing to be seen anywhere, still have to get it right to the unit but my back is done for the day, hit a few snags along the way (including the neighbour so I can't take photos to show from 'their' side), but ultimately the installer will just have to hook up either end and install a priority switch....wrecked

svmf4y.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ted1 wrote: »
    They think people investing 30k to reduce bills by 20% is a good investment.

c.Five year payback, ignoring funding costs and availing of the HRI is a good investment so stick with the knitting that you are knowledgeable about.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Grand, afraid to say I'll have to unfollow my own thread so as I'm really not interested in all this talk about solar power water heating, pumped showers etc.
    I'll post back with some photos when she lands next week, going to do a dry install of the charge point run tomorrow, charger itself due next week also.

Slave1, you will never win such an argument against an ordinary mod, not to mind a Cat Mod, so don't unfollow but look forward to taking delivery of the weapon!.

The elec showers are relevant in the context of the house load getting an EV.
    Solar thermal heating systems are irrelevant in this thread as are pumped systems.
    Solar PV is conceptually relevant as it does produce what we need in the EV: however, the moon doesn't do much at night for solar PV and if the car is out during those long summer days....

Keep well: ps: nice piece of work on the wiring

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Anyone mind if I split out the shower discussion to a separate thread?

Would have been nice if you asked me first before demolishing my thread !

Yes I do, there's no point splitting threads, it's too many pages now anyway so doesn't matter most of the useful information is burried and my thread would have reduced it by several pages !!!

Charger just arrived, its a Podpoint Universal (so not tethered), will be nice to get home and have a good poke around it, can't see it being fitted for at least another fortnight with current bookings but not bothered as lots of charge points available close by and they are rarely occupied...

Here she is, sold second hand but was still in original sealed packaging, fierce light altogether, probably just a circuit board and a lot of fresh air...

24yqwat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

probably just a circuit board and a lot of fresh air...

Pretty much.

• Advertisement

It's outrageous the cost of these things.

They'll come down in time, I paid £149 for mine including P&P so happy enough, 7kw model

Transporter confirmed, should have the car Saturday morning.

Switched to Energia for slightly cheaper electricity seeing as my Bord Gais deal expired last week.

Got my ESB Public Access Charge Card approval email earlier today.

All coming together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Transporter confirmed, should have the car Saturday morning

Switched to Energia for slightly cheaper electricity seeing as my Bord Gais deal expired last week.

All coming together...

How do they deal with the DVLA paperwork without your signature?

Make sure you get the full V5 form and not just the tear off slip. If you don't get the full form you will have a delay when you go to sort the VRT here. Most UK dealers aren't aware of that. They usually send the full form off to the DVLA which then takes you a few extra weeks to sort out.

I'm grand on importing, this will be my 4th go, never signed for anything in the past and never close the deal without the full V5C, don't worry, the transporter guy I use is well versed on the V5C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

KCross wrote: »
    How do they deal with the DVLA paperwork without your signature?

Make sure you get the full V5 form and not just the tear off slip. If you don't get the full form you will have a delay when you go to sort the VRT here. Most UK dealers aren't aware of that. They usually send the full form off to the DVLA which then takes you a few extra weeks to sort out.

Don't think that matters much when it comes to an EV.

Soarer wrote: »

No VRT means you can't register the car and it's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a car in this country with foreign plates. Also the car wouldn't be taxed and insurance might be an issue too if the delay is too long.

So, it matters quite a lot :D

unkel wrote: »
    No VRT means you can't register the car

Makes absolutely no sense. I'm sure you meant V5C.
    it's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a car in this country with foreign plates.

No it's not.
    Also the car wouldn't be taxed

Not in Ireland anyway.
    insurance might be an issue too if the delay is too long.

No it wouldn't if the situation is explained.
    So, it matters quite a lot :D

No it doesn't.

See, I can be a pedantic know-it-all too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I wondered about this myself - when I imported mine. I appreciate that there is no vrt due on importation. However, if you can't provide the documentation within the allotted time, is there any potential for them to charge penalties on that basis in any event?

A family member had this scenario a couple of years back with an ICE. They made the mistake of letting the dealer send on the v5 to the DVLA in Swansea. They sat on it for weeks. With that, it wasn't possible to present the car and documentation to the vrt office to clear the vehicle. However, they didn't want to know other than to state that they would be imposing (what were exorbitant) penalties.

Whilst there is no VRT due on an EV, it still has to go through the process and be cleared/formally imported. Is there any opportunity that late fees would be applied in this instance?

I wondered about this myself - when I imported mine. I appreciate that there is no vrt due on importation. However, if you can't provide the documentation within the allotted time, is there any potential for them to charge penalties on that basis in any event?

A family member had this scenario a couple of years back with an ICE. They made the mistake of letting the dealer send on the v5 to the DVLA in Swansea. They sat on it for weeks. With that, it wasn't possible to present the car and documentation to the vrt office to clear the vehicle. However, they didn't want to know other than to state that they would be imposing (what were exorbitant) penalties.

Whilst there is no VRT due on an EV, it still has to go through the process and be cleared/formally imported. Is there any opportunity that late fees would be applied in this instance?

AFAIK, the penalty for late registration is a percentage of the original VRT amount owing. Something like 0.05% per day.

But if the VRT rate is €0, I don't know what they'd charge.

• Advertisement

Makes absolutely no sense. I'm sure you meant V5C.

Correct. Its the V5C(i.e. the log book)... sorry, I left out the C! To be honest I didnt think there was any difference. Is there a V5 form for something else?

You absolutely do need that form at the NCT centre to register the car so it is important. Customs can seize your car after the 30days grace has passed.

I'm sure if you gave them the documentation to say you were waiting on the V5C from the DVLA they would let you off but I'd rather not have the hassle and rather not have to be dealing with the DVLA so my point stands.... you should ensure you get the full form from the dealer and dont let them send anything away to the DVLA.... I struggled to do that with my dealer... he thought I was conning him in some way.

AFAIK, the penalty for late registration is a percentage of the original VRT amount owing. Something like 0.05% per day.

I think you are right i.e. that it was percentage based and that it might therefore make sense that by default there would be nothing due. However, you never know with revenue.

No doubt someone here will be in this position at some stage and provide the feedback on the outcome then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's the VRT side of things, but if you turn up without all the correct documentation, they charge you an admin fee to re-schedule the appointment seemly.

I struggled to do that with my dealer... he thought I was conning him in some way.
    Yes, for many UK dealerships, they don't understand this - or the possible consequences. I suppose that they are so used to the otherwise compliant process that they are aware of - which is to forward the document on to Swansea.

That's why Irish customers need to be very clear with the seller of what needs to happen here when the deal is done - prior to collecting the vehicle.

kceire wrote: »
    That's the VRT side of things, but if you turn up without all the correct documentation, they charge you an admin fee to re-schedule the appointment seemly.

I had to revisit them with a different proof of address. They wouldnt accept the ones I gave as they were printouts. Apparently originals only are allowed and I struggled to find anything original as all my accounts (banking, revenue etc) are all online now.

Anyway, I had to go back another day with that and they didnt charge me anything extra... in fact they didnt charge me anything for the entire process. I think that might have been a mistake on their part! :)

Anyone here have to pay NCT an admin fee for registering an EV?

No charge whatsoever in my case - albeit that documentation was in order and presented on the scheduled day. As above, can't say for definite if there would be some sort of penalty if you don't rock up to them within the allotted time due to not having the paperwork in order.....

Correct. Its the V5C(i.e. the log book)... sorry, I left out the C! To be honest I didnt think there was any difference. Is there a V5 form for something else?

I was quoting Unkel dude, not you.

It's a V5 on this side I think, and a V5C on their side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I had to revisit them with a different proof of address. They wouldnt accept the ones I gave as they were printouts. Apparently originals only are allowed and I struggled to find anything original as all my accounts (banking, revenue etc) are all online now.

Anyway, I had to go back another day with that and they didnt charge me anything extra... in fact they didnt charge me anything for the entire process. I think that might have been a mistake on their part! :)

Maybe im wrong, I was on the site last night as they say if incorrect documentation is produced, the admin fee applies.
    Maybe its case by case?

I was quoting Unkel dude, not you.

It's a V5 on this side I think, and a V5C on their side.

post 227!

• Advertisement

I can be a pedantic know-it-all too.

"all vehicles brought into Ireland are subject to Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and must be registered. If you are moving to Ireland or are already living here and you are importing a car or other vehicle, you will need to do 4 things before you can drive your vehicle in Ireland:

Pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) (unless you are exempt)
    Get new vehicle registration plates
    Get motor insurance
    Pay motor tax"

Linky

I'll say it again: it's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle in this country.

You'll probably get away with it while you are actually bringing your car in if you import it personally, but I wouldn't go drive it around happy as Larry while you're waiting for delays with paperwork. That said, law enforcement levels are so low in this country that a lot of people don't even remember what the laws are...

Advertisement