Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf hunt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

KCross wrote: »
    post 227!

But you quoted my reply to Unkel! I never corrected what you said when I quoted you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Soarer wrote: »
    But you quoted my reply to Unkel! I never corrected what you said when I quoted you.

ok, but you did say in your reply to me that the V5(C!) form didnt matter much for importing an EV. It does. Or do you still believe it doesnt?

unkel wrote: »
    "all vehicles brought into Ireland are subject to Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and must be registered. If you are moving to Ireland or are already living here and you are importing a car or other vehicle, you will need to do 4 things before you can drive your vehicle in Ireland:

Pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) (unless you are exempt)
    Get new vehicle registration plates
    Get motor insurance
    Pay motor tax"

Linky

I'll say it again: it's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle in this country.

You'll probably get away with it while you are actually bringing your car in if you import it personally, but I wouldn't go drive it around happy as Larry while you're waiting for delays with paperwork. That said, law enforcement levels are so low in this country that a lot of people don't even remember what the laws are...

And I'll say it again, no it's not!

Nothing you quoted there says it's illegal. It says "you must do".

You have 30 days to VRT your car, and you can drive the car while you're waiting. Unless you're telling me you're not allowed do this, and you should trailer the car to the VRT office?
    Once you get there, if there's a problem, you can get a form stamped to say you attended the VRT office and things are delayed, thus allowing you to drive the car for even longer.

And finally, are you telling me that if you insure your car on English plates until you get it VRT'd, and you have a crash while waiting for your appointment, your insurance is void? Or are the the insurance companies complicit in this "illegal" activity?

ok, but you did say in your reply to me that the V5(C!) form didnt matter much for importing an EV. It does. Or do you still believe it doesnt?

That's not what I said. Why would anyone think you don't need the logbook when registering?

That's not what I said.

Maybe I misundestood you then but you highlighted this line in bold...

"If you don't get the full form you will have a delay when you go to sort the VRT here."

And then said...
    "Don't think that matters much when it comes to an EV."

That seems fairly clear to me that you dont think getting the full form matters for VRT.

Can you explain what you do mean as it is going to confuse would be buyers who are new to the process.

• Advertisement

Maybe I misundestood you then but you highlighted this line in bold...

"If you don't get the full form you will have a delay when you go to sort the VRT here."

And then said...
    "Don't think that matters much when it comes to an EV."

That seems fairly clear to me that you dont think getting the full form matters for VRT.

Can you explain what you do mean as it is going to confuse would be buyers who are new to the process.

Well then you're easily confused, and if others are of the same mindset, I don't think they should be bothering themselves with the ins and outs of importing a car or EV ownership. The fact you picked out about the form, and not about the delay in getting the car VRT'd, is your mindset. I read it, and still read it, as the delay not being an issue. A fact I clarified a few posts later.

How, or why, anyone would think you don't need a logbook to register an EV is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It says "you must do".

So "must" is now something voluntary? Wrong again.

must - be required by law

Linky

So our insurance is void?

Edit: It actually doesn't even say "must". It says "need". What does Merriam say about "need"?

Edit: It actually doesn't even say "must". I

You quoted me wrong and then I quoted you wrong. Apologies there :D

I'm pretty sure about residents not being allowed to drive foreign reg cars though, we've been over that in the motors forum so many times over the years. Just did a bit of research there but any of the links to the Revenue site are no longer valid.

Not much of a pedant am I?!?

What about the insurance though?

• Advertisement

Insurance is unrelated to any of the above stuff (except of course that you must have insurance at all times). But I guess it depends what it says in your policy, what is covered under what circumstances. Never mind any of the above stuff, but I would want to be 100% sure I was insured if I was to drive a foreign reg car in this country (or in other countries for that matter). And not just hope for the best or assume I'd be covered.

Well then you're easily confused, and if others are of the same mindset, I don't think they should be bothering themselves with the ins and outs of importing a car or EV ownership. The fact you picked out about the form, and not about the delay in getting the car VRT'd, is your mindset. I read it, and still read it, as the delay not being an issue. A fact I clarified a few posts later.

How, or why, anyone would think you don't need a logbook to register an EV is beyond me.

Because its not the normal process here or in the UK to get the full form when you buy a car. If the dealer is not familiar with it they just give you the tear off slip which NCT will reject. I had to insist on getting the full form. The dealer was very reluctant to hand it over.

You said the delay doesnt matter much for EV... I disagree regardless of your subsequent posts around it not being important since you can get a stamp and there's no fee etc.... its just extra hassle to have to deal with the DVLA and it is also a waste of your own time as you will now probably have to go to the NCT centre twice as you are unlikely to have the form back from the DVLA within the 30 day appointment window you have with the NCT.

Clearly it does matter and thats all I was saying.

I think the point you were trying to make is that there wouldnt be any financial loss/penalty as a result of the delay but if you have to go there twice and have to deal with the DVLA thats time... which usually equals money!

unkel wrote: »
    Insurance is unrelated to any of the above stuff (except of course that you must have insurance at all times). But I guess it depends what it says in your policy, what is covered under what circumstances. Never mind any of the above stuff, but I would want to be 100% sure I was insured if I was to drive a foreign reg car in this country (or in other countries for that matter). And not just hope for the best or assume I'd be covered.

But that's my point.

You said it's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign reg car here. I said it's not, and the fact you can get insured proves same. Unless, like I've asked previously, you believe insurance companies are facilitating people driving illegally?

Or maybe there's a grace period between when the car enters the country and when you get it VRT'd, say 30 days, where you can drive the car on foreign plates?

I think the point you were trying to make is that there wouldnt be any financial loss/penalty as a result of the delay

Exactly.

So why did you think I meant you didn't need the logbook?

Exactly.

So why did you think I meant you didn't need the logbook?

Your post wasnt clear. It could be interpreted multiple ways.

Even when you clarified it, I still disagree with you and that it does matter! :)

That's cool.

I've no problem with people disagreeing with me...as long as they're disagreeing with the correct part! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

What cable(s) should I expect to get with a 2014 6.6 Leaf from a main dealer in the UK?

goz83 wrote: »
    What cable(s) should I expect to get with a 2014 6.6 Leaf from a main dealer in the UK?

Its a bit of a lottery. Depends on what the previous owner returned, what Nissan initially put into the car and whether the dealer left them there or not. Sometimes they swap them around to other cars.

"Typically" the 6.6kW enabled cars in the UK come with 2 cables.... a Granny cable and a public charge cable (Type 2-->Type 1).

Its a bit of a lottery. Depends on what the previous owner returned, what Nissan initially put into the car and whether the dealer left them there or not. Sometimes they swap them around to other cars.

"Typically" the 6.6kW enabled cars in the UK come with 2 cables.... a Granny cable and a public charge cable (Type 2-->Type 1).

Grand. I've put an offer on a 6.6 and have stipulated these cables as part of the offer. I just said 13 Amp and Type 2 cable to the rep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I rang 2 in the uk and both only had the granny/3 pin plug.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just said 13 Amp and Type 2 cable to the rep.

Should that not be 32amp Type 2 public charging cable?

slave1 wrote: »

I will confirm with the rep before paying deposit. I thought the type 2 cable was the 32 Amp cable?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I will confirm with the rep before paying deposit. I thought the type 2 cable was the 32 Amp cable?

3.3kw cable is 16amp
    6.6kw cable is 32amp so yours would need to be this to facilitate 6.6kw charging
    AFAIK

slave1 wrote: »

The 13A is another way of asking for a granny cable.

A Type 2 cable comes in 16A or 32A forms. If its a 6.6kW car you need the 32A Type 2 cable to charge at the green icons on the eCars map.

If you have an untethered EVSE at home you also need that Type 2 cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

If you have an untethered EVSE at home you also need that Type 2 cable.
    Get them to send you a photo of the type1/2 cable with the spec on it (to verify that it is actually 32amp).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So wait is vrt free on an EV? Or did I misconstrue some posts.

listermint wrote: »
    So wait is vrt free on an EV? Or did I misconstrue some posts.

Technically no.

You get a rebate of up to €5k on an EV, which pretty much covers the vrt on most EVs. Something like a Tesla, you get €5k off the vrt total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

The first €5,000 of VRT is relieved.

From the revenue website

Electric Vehicles including Electric Motorcycles

Category A or Category B electric vehicles, which are shown to the satisfaction of the Revenue Commissioners to be series production (i.e, originally manufactured) models of electric vehicles registered before 31 December 2021, are eligible for relief from VRT up to a maximum amount of €5,000.

Accordingly, for example, where VRT in the amount of €5,750 is payable on the registration of a qualifying electric vehicle, VRT in the amount of €750 (i.e. €5,750 – €5,000) will be due at the time of vehicle registration.

Electric motorcycles are exempt from VRT until 31 December 2016.

'electric vehicle' means a vehicle that derives its motive power exclusively from an electric motor.

'electric motorcycle' means a motor-cycle that derives its motive power exclusively from an electric motor.

Electrics should be vet exempt altogether.

• Advertisement

Electrics should be vet exempt altogether.

And road tax exempt.

Current system is penny pinching of the highest order.

Advertisement