Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW K1600s - can't give em away

• 26-01-2017 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi.....I have always liked these monsters but I know for town riding they'd be too much of a beast....touring wise they look if they could go to the moon and back....any reasons the 2nd hand market just can not give away these bikes? The depreciation on them is just stratospheric . What's the inside track on these bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

They would be a very specific bike for a very specific job - Touring. They are extremely heavy and extremely expensive so would only appeal to a certain market....they are a superb machine by all accounts but I would say running costs and services are heavy on the wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's not many 1600's on donedeal. But if you're having trouble giving one away, pm me and I'll take it off your hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's not many 1600's on donedeal. But if you're having trouble giving one away, pm me and I'll take it off your hands
    Thanks for the glib comment but I have noticed over the last year they are a very hard bike to shift. Noticed one recently from Duffy sent to auction as it didn't sell....this says a heck of a lot re it's re selling prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I believe you have to remove the whole fairing just to change the fuse for the toaster........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Thanks for the glib comment but I have noticed over the last year they are a very hard bike to shift. Noticed one recently from Duffy sent to auction as it didn't sell....this says a heck of a lot re it's re selling prospects.

They're like Porsches - a range of cars, but only one 'real' one which holds its value. BeeEmm bikes are like that. The aircooled models are core and GS's in particular - I saw the queue of new ones all sold for January.

The K's have always been poor at holding their value, and are not without their problems. The 1600's are having a few corrosion and gearbox issues atmo, and as they get older will be expensive to maintain. Remember the K1200LT ? Now there's a bike that sank like a stone.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Would be better off with an FJR1300 (6 speed) or a Triumph Trophy if this is your cup o tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi.....I have always liked these monsters but I know for town riding they'd be too much of a beast....touring wise they look if they could go to the moon and back....any reasons the 2nd hand market just can not give away these bikes? The depreciation on them is just stratospheric . What's the inside track on these bikes?

They're as big as a car and cost more than most cars, with none of the benefits of riding a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

R1200RT seems to be more popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Thanks folks for your comments..... I just did not know the score with these beasts but reckoned servicing and costs are it's Achilles heel. I'm torn between a good 2nd hand GTR or an FJR....both big bikes but I'm tall. I've done 10years on a GS, not as reliable as one thinks with a rebuild of the rear drive being wallet sapping. Time for a change and was keen to hear comments. I'm GS-ed out so the above bikes are on the radar. Thanks

New Tiger 1050 (2011 on I think) is one of the best bikes I have rode, does it all. You should take a test drive if you can you be very surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I've done 10years on a GS, not as reliable as one thinks with a rebuild of the rear drive being wallet sapping. 
    The first gen 1200's had issues due to not being shimmed correctly from the factory but they got it corrected somewhere between 2010 and 2013

depreciation on bikes has always been bad. If you buy it new plan on keeping it for a long time.
    I was looking at selling my 2013 oil cooled GSA but ill be damned if im going to give it away so ill just keep it

Advertisement