Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is the "other" ... side !?

Options
  • 26-01-2017 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Very nice snapshot of our host and is guest BUT ... why not taking the photo with the backdark side of the Moon !??

more HERE !

ab_moon_from_geo_orbit_med_res_jan_15_2017.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

Cool picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

rolion wrote: »
    Very nice snapshot of our host and is guest BUT ... why not taking the photo with the backdark side of the Moon !??
    I'd imagine it's difficult to take pictures of the dark side of the moon because of all the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's difficult to take pictures of the dark side of the moon because of all the darkness.

Use the flash on your camera 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

rolion wrote: »

more HERE !

ab_moon_from_geo_orbit_med_res_jan_15_2017.jpg

Because the satellite used to take the photo ( GOES 16) is in a Geostationary orbit 22,300 miles above our equator.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

The "backside" of the Moon is not visible from the Earth. The Moon is tidally locked with the Earth so we always see the same side. We only ever get to see the "backside" from photos taken by spacecraft which have passed behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ScumLord wrote: »

You need to catch it within a couple of days of the new moon i.e. when it's a crescent, then with a bit of overexposure you will get detail on the dark side but a tripod is essential.

The less of the sunlit Moon we see, the more of the sunlit (daytime) Earth is visible from the Moon so the moon gets most 'Earthshine' at the time of the New Moon when the daylight side of the Earth is facing the moon. That's why in clear air (especially at altitude) you can often see the dark side of the Moon when it's a crescent.

I got this on a Nikon D90 with 0.77s exposure and a 300mm lens.....

786289773b8ad0b563a7aa2de47e241947139045237abd48aec89dfdd202416a043a68ab.jpg

Advertisement