Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAT qualifying car

• 26-01-2017 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Some background (if relevant) :

I have a Ltd company and de-registered for vat a few months ago because it was making me less competitive and was costing me more every month. Also the company is way below the threshold. Without going into unimportant details, I haven't been able to give much energy to the business, but I hope to be able to do more soon and grow the business. I also work from home and 95% of my driving is work related. However, this is only a small amount of driving...maybe 50klm per week. The other 5% of my driving is when I drive a 2klm round trip to collect my daughter from pre-school and leave her at her nannies on weekdays. Due to an injury, I really need a more comfortable vehicle with a higher seat position in order to allow me to do more driving for work. My mileage will still be quite low...maybe 100-150 per week on the weeks I am on the field, so I ruled out diesel and decided an outlander PHEV would be the best choice (based on advice over in the motors forum).

My questions is this:

If I re-register for VAT and go car shopping in the UK, am I able to buy a "VAT qualifying" car from a dealership and have the UK VAT removed for import?

I have had items imported in the past and had the UK VAT removed, which saved me the trouble of claiming it back later. This included a security system for my office (when I had an office) and also car service parts and other relatively inexpensive items for the business. It's a PITA to claim back VAT from the UK, so it's better if I can get it knocked off at source. According to a dealer I was chatting to today, they can do this as long as I have a VAT number and proof of export. I don't exactly why he said proof of export is needed and if this means I would have to pay VAT and claim back later??? But it would save me having to fork out about €5000 if the VAT was removed at source, so I am keen to know what the normal procedure is. Sorry for post length :o

Advertisement