Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started for around 100 Euros

• 26-01-2017 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10

Hi everyone!
    Me and a couple of friends want to get started on the brewing, we have a budget of around 100e to get us off the ground I was wondering whether the kit below is the best way forward:
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewsmarter-premium-starter-beer-kit-best-value-844-p.asp

Any help that can be given would be much appreciated, we aren't opposed to buying second hand gear either!

Thanks
    S

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah, that'd do it. I don't think you need the BrewBelt though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

+1 for the homebrewcompany link. Far better value. LCD thermometers are next to useless and there are much better options than brew belts for heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Coopers diy kits which include bottles going for €70 in Tesco is hard to beat to get you going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

I went for the homebrewcompany link starter kit with the youngs american IPA (first brew). 2 weeks into the fermenting, Ill test the S.G. this wkend and hopefully be ready for bottling!

wish me luck!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Just done my first brew of cider and got all my gear from the homebrewingcompany. I used the build your own kit:
    http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/all-your-own-build-bruphoria-starter-kit-p-2459.html

I got the:
    33 Litre Fermenter with Airlock Bung and Tap
    Hydrometer
    Stick On Thermometer
    VWP 400g steriliser
    That cost €26.00

I got the John Bull Apple Cider 40Pt for €19.95 and I ended up getting 40 x amber swing top bottles for €24.95 each as my wife threw out all the bottles I was collecting!!! I got swing caps as I am planning to re-use them.... a lot :-)

I got my glucose in Dunnes for 1.45 for 480g

First batch has been fermenting for about 10 days now so I will bottle tonight and leave for another 2 weeks for the secondary phase. Looking at around 35 x 500ml bottles of 7% cider.

Total cost was under €90 and it won't cost me much from now on as the wifey's sister has a few apple trees which I will pilfer when the apples are ripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 ferg44

Tip I learned for making cider ..
    Carbonate it well with big spoon of sugar.. last 2 lots I did came out flat ..
    others I brewed were lovely, even the cheaper polish ciders..( which I cant get anymore )
    I like my cider with a fizz
    Have a brew maker cider ready for bottling this wend, I'll be putting well heaped spoon of sugar in each glass bottle, yea, I know about risk of bottle bombs, but I crimp the caps a few times to lessen the risk..
    and always have at least 1 plastic bottle filled , to check if they are carbonating up .. if its rock hard in a wk or so , then they should be good ..

Anyone recommend any other good cider kits ??
    Bulldog kits are the best IMO, but at ~~€30 , a little dear .
    Finlandia ciders are nice , but maybe a little too sweat
    John Bull Country Cider is nice, little hard maybe

Whats Magnum like ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

ferg44 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any other good cider kits ??
    Bulldog kits are the best IMO, but at ~~€30 , a little dear .
    Finlandia ciders are nice , but maybe a little too sweat
    John Bull Country Cider is nice, little hard maybe

Whats Magnum like ???

I presume you've read turbo cider thread ?

If not then i'd highly recommend it.

Big kudos and thanks to the lads involved. All the info is in there, VERY easy to make. You can change the ingredients to suit and have a good old experiment but most of all IT TASTES BLOODY GOOD!

No worries if its not your thing but cheap as chips and well worth a go, even to run alongside your shop brew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Well my first brew actually truned out great (youngs IPA), thought I'd messed it up by dropping an unsterillised clamp into it and a small bit of sawdust when syphoning it. ABV 6.3%, abount 2 mm of sediment in the bottom, tried to avoid it at first by leaving a small bit in each bottle when pouring but after a while didnt care and it didnt impact on the taste really.

All 40 bottles gone in about 2 weeks, was so proud i was giving it out to the lads and family. Just received another kit of youngs IPA so will give it a go this weekend. Also bought some no rinse steriliser. Rinsing 40 bottles out a couple of times was a right pain.

• Advertisement

Advertisement