Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless and Cashiers/Bartenders taking the card?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yikes!

pLC2Su0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ED E wrote: »
    No, I love it.

The point is in the proper setup the terminal says "€6.50" and I tap and authorize it. In a pin situation I get the same display.

But when they hide the terminal behind the POS then I 1. dont see the value charged by them and 2. wonder if I've actually authorized the transaction (in a pedantic legal sense).

Exactly, some businesses (especially small independent shops / coffee shops / eateries) have contactless terminals behind the counter probably because it suits them better, and therefore need to tap the card for you. The problem is you don't see the amount on the terminal before tapping and only get a clear confirmation if a receipt is printed.

You are not the only one thinking it is a bit of a dodgy practice ... I always feel unconformable about that as well.

I think it might change in the future as contactless payment is moving to phones ad wearable devices which people won't hand over, so shops will have to change their setup so that the terminal is accessible to the customer.

TheChizler wrote: »
    This also happens with Android Pay now, for those able to use it.

Yes same with AppelPay. It is actually nice to have instant feedback. The other day for some reason a terminal refused an ApplePay payment and the guy told me the transaction was declined. My phone did displayed a message saying a translation of €xx was decline with ApplePay, so I knew he was not trying to cheat me or didn't make a mistake and it was OK to attempt the payment a second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes same with AppelPay. It is actually nice to have instant feedback. The other day for some reason a terminal refused an ApplePay payment and the guy told me the transaction was declined. My phone did displayed a message saying a translation of €xx was decline with ApplePay, so I knew he was not trying to cheat me or didn't make a mistake and it was OK to attempt the payment a second time.
    This too, but I meant the transaction shows up instantly under 'pending transactions' in your online banking, unlike with a contactless card which can take a few days.

Not sure why/how this is. The card taking a few days to show up can be if the terminal is operating in offline mode for contactless, which doesn't authorise transactions there and then, and the payments only go through a few days later whenever the retailer gets around to processing everything. Android/Apple Pay might emulate a contactless transaction with their generated card no. from the POV of the retailer, but a presents a regular card transaction to the bank which does the authorisation there and then so it shows up straight away.

I may be talking through my hoop, this is a guess. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    This too, but I meant the transaction shows up instantly under 'pending transactions' in your online banking, unlike with a contactless card which can take a few days.

Not sure why/how this is. The card taking a few days to show up can be if the terminal is operating in offline mode for contactless, which doesn't authorise transactions there and then, and the payments only go through a few days later whenever the retailer gets around to processing everything. Android/Apple Pay might emulate a contactless transaction with their generated card no. from the POV of the retailer, but a presents a regular card transaction to the bank which does the authorisation there and then so it shows up straight away.

I may be talking through my hoop, this is a guess. :)

I am not familiar with the technicalities of Android Pay (though I suspect it is similar), but Apple Pay transactions are using a rather different payment protocol compared to contactless cards. These are token based transactions and the phone is never aware of your actual card number ... it only has a token given by the bank and Apple which is used for authentication and can be remotely revoked at any time. This makes it pretty safe as your CC number is never transmitted (or even available to any device) as part of the transaction.

Also to clarify, with my (French) bank, Apple Pay transactiona seem to be processed differently from what you are seeing with Android Pay. Transactions don't appear faster on my online banking than other ones (it takes a day or 2), but what I was referring to is that the phone itself gives instant feedback on every transaction: every-time you pay you get a notification with the amount, the merchant's name, and whether the transaction was successfully. The thing I don't understand though is that the same notifications don't seem to exist if you pay with an Apple Watch (yes, I have too many Apple devices ;-)).

Advertisement