Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Dim Sum in Dublin

Options
  • 26-01-2017 9:28pm

any recommendations?

was at Good World on George's Street recently - it was pretty cheap but it was not good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

The Imperial and Fans closed a while back sadly in the city and Cantonese restaurants are few and far between these days.

Haven't tried Ka Shing on Wicklow St. If you do, report back. :D

Out to the burbs...Pattaya in Clondalkin and Ming Court in Blanchardstown are decent.

Mak at D6 in Ranelagh looks limited.

saw something about Ka Shing somewhere - may give it a go and will report back if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Got some here and enjoyed it.
    http://yamamori.ie/yamamori-izakaya/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Second vote for Pattaya in Clondalkin. Place looks boring enough food wise, cheap deals for locals. But ask for Chinese menu and they've a huge selection of genuine food (jellyfish, chicken feet and the likes) and also of dim sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Ming court in blanchardstown is good. I have Chinese friends who go there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

The one time I went to Ka Shing, I got pork dumplings and the meat was raw on the inside. They didn't even offer any compensation until we complained. Do yourself a favour and steer clear.

And if by Dim Sum you just mean dumplings, the best ones I ever seem to eat are the frozen ones you buy in Asian stores and cook yourself. Boil them first, then fry to get them crispy on the outside. They never seem to be cooked right in restaurants here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

And if by Dim Sum you just mean dumplings, the best ones I ever seem to eat are the frozen ones you buy in Asian stores and cook yourself. Boil them first, then fry to get them crispy on the outside. They never seem to be cooked right in restaurants here.

I thought the proper way is to fry them first to get them crispy. Then pour in a small amount of boiling water, cover and let them stream

I had decent Dim Sum in Hilan Capel St before

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I thought the proper way is to fry them first to get them crispy. Then pour in a small amount of boiling water, cover and let them stream

I had decent Dim Sum in Hilan Capel St before

Maybe you're right yeah, my way seems to work well too! I wonder if they're hard to make yourself? Hmmm there's a little project for me...

Maybe you're right yeah, my way seems to work well too! I wonder if they're hard to make yourself? Hmmm there's a little project for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkvFssMz24

They seem easy enough. But very time consuming( I haven't done them yet though). Asia Market will definitely have everything for them.

• Advertisement

newacc2015 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkvFssMz24

They seem easy enough. But very time consuming( I haven't done them yet though). Asia Market will definitely have everything for them.

I'd like to make the dough myself, kneading is a pain though and I don't have a food processor. Might give it a whirl at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Kind of related to the above... but I developed a serious love of Xiaolongbao when I lived in Australia.

Don't suppose anyone has come across them over this side of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

For those suggesting Ming Court, approach with caution. They were closed by the FSAI just over a year ago (their second closure I believe).

http://jrnl.ie/2489521

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Bonavox wrote: »
    For those suggesting Ming Court, approach with caution. They were closed by the FSAI just over a year ago (their second closure I believe).

http://jrnl.ie/2489521

Good World was censured by FSAI a while back also;

http://www.checkout.ie/fsai-enforce-11-orders-on-food-businesses-in-october/3233

While I haven't have the dim sum in either, I can recommend Hi Lan Capel Street and M&L on Cathedral Street as very solid places.

Have looked at that Ka Shing place and suspect it maybe all style over substance...

While I haven't have the dim sum in either, I can recommend Hi Lan Capel Street and M&L on Cathedral Street as very solid places.

I think M&L is horrific. I went there once and spicy dish was not spicy, as they took it upon themselves to change it to western tastes. Which is what I was told when I complained at a spicy dish not being spicy. The other person I was with got a tired fish about 10 mins after my dinner arrived.

Hilan is superior IMO. The dishes are authentic and not changed to your tastes based on whether you are Chinese or Irish. I have been to Hilan severals times and it has been consistently good. I have heard from Korean Americans and Chinese Americans when I have been there, that it is excellent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lucky Tortoise is doing a pop-up in The Hill in Ranelagh on Sundays, 5pm-10pm, starting 26th February. I haven't tried their wares but it looks good. Facebook, Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Went into Hilan yesterday with the family. Very impressed!

Advertisement