Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used a roller to flatten ground with grass?

Options
  • 26-01-2017 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I'll need to hire a roller to flatten out my garden. We had tractors on the grass in autumn and now the garden is full of ridges from the tractor wheels.

They is already grass there, not lawn grass. Lots of different wild grasses...

Would it be okay to just flatten the lot and then plant be lawn seed?

Advice appreciated. Size of grassy area is 0.5 acre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

A roller is no good for levelling. The way I'd repair that if there wasn't monstrous damage I'd get a few barrow fulls of nice topsoil, mix with some moss peat and make good tge damage.
    I'd reseed the new areas then in April, weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I'll need to hire a roller to flatten out my garden. We had tractors on the grass in autumn and now the garden is full of ridges from the tractor wheels.

They is already grass there, not lawn grass. Lots of different wild grasses...

Would it be okay to just flatten the lot and then plant be lawn seed?

Advice appreciated. Size of grassy area is 0.5 acre.

If the plan is to have a lawn, then yes the best course of action is treat it as virgin plot and start to prepare the ground from scratch for a new lawn.

If you just want to repair the tyre tracks, then depending on the extent and the severity of the damage there are two ways to go about it, if the damage isn't excessive then you could use a garden fork to lift and repair the tyre tracks, if the damage is extensive then as was mentioned in a post above the best course of action is to bring in new soil to reapir the damaged areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fairly solid answers there lads, thank you. Sounds like I've saved myself one job and gotten another :)

Advertisement