Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi return

Options
  • 26-01-2017 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭

I bought a Bluetooth radio in Aldi a year ago and it stopped working there last week. When I originally bought it there was a problem with the power cable and I brought it back for an exchange but they took the receipt and never issued a new one. I rang up today and they are refusing to help me without a receipt. They claimed that because I had no receipt I couldn't prove when I purchased the radio and it could be outside the time frame required for a repair, refund or replacement. My argument was there is a label on the radio saying it was manufactured in October 2015 and it is an Aldi own brand which aren't sold anywhere else.

The girl on the telephone more or less accused me of trying to con Aldi out of money. I was only looking for it to be repaired. I did ask if they would have a record of the exchange but she said they don't keep them. Did I mess up by not getting another receipt issued when I had the radio originally replaced or is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You should have got another receipt issued, however the radio being Aldi own brand and the manufacturing date are both quite useful here. How much did the radio cost? Also, did you pay by card or cash - card could help.

If Aldi are being awkward, threatening to - or actually having to, but be aware its a tortuous process - go through the small claims court for it. This costs €25. My personal experience is that their customer care is stone flat worst of all supermarket chains in Ireland - its based in Scotland and have zero idea that Ireland is a different legal system to Scotland. No idea how they cope with England/Wales being different!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Did you pay with credit card? Credit card statement I think also counts as proof of purchase.

Maybe go to the store and talk to a manager yourself, specially if you are a frequent shopper in that store and they might know you, I brought back an item few months ago, like you I didn't have a receipt, I talked to someone as they were selling other models at the time he just exchange it for me. It's not a very busy store so manager knows us as we shop there quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I'd normally pay by credit card in Aldi but would have purchased other goods too. Would this matter? The radio was only €48 and I would probably just have wrote it off to experience but the attitude of their helpline annoyed me. Implying I could have bought it faulty off eBay cheap and then trying to make money returning it! I have a box full of receipts for every electrical item I buy but it was an oversight not getting a new one issued.

I know a few of the store workers from chatting to them when I'm in. I might go in and see what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TBH I buy all my groceries (or a lot of them) in Lidl and Aldi but anytime I've bought something like that it's always been cheap, cheerful and eventually fell apart. I'd simply chalk it down to experience and give them a good going over on facebook or alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Its reasons like the link that a customer must have proof of purchase

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/crook-picks-up-tv-aldi-9700945

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Its reasons like the link that a customer must have proof of purchase

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/crook-picks-up-tv-aldi-9700945

The radio in question is not going to be current stock, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I was mistaken about the receipt. I was moving some boxes in the spare room just there and it was lying underneath looking at me like a golden ticket from Willy Wonka. I'll be ringing them up in the morning to get it replaced or refunded. Thanks everyone for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Would you not just go back to the store and ask the manager there. That's where you bougth it, so that's where you go back to with any issues.

I can't see what the helpline can do.

Advertisement