Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining telephone cables in house

• 27-01-2017 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

My brother's broadband connection, Vodafone ADSL, has developed a fault in recent days, voice calls OK. He reported the fault and an open-eir tech called yesterday who pointed to a fault within the house. New Vodafone modem arrived yesterday and worked OK until my brother went looking for the source of the wiring problem.

All points are wired with Cat5 cable back to a power room, including the external telephone junction box, with all cables hanging from the ceiling. The electrician who wired the house appears to have simply joined the incoming cable to the cable going to the telephone/modem point with the wires twisted together and wrapped with insulating tape and this appears to be the source of the fault. (The electrician ran 2 cables from the external telephone junction box to the power room, 1 a spare I presume)

I haven't looked at the join yet, plan to look at it tomorrow.

What would be recommend to join these wires securely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't know the technical name but the eircom guy gave me a handful of these crimps and I used them to connect a shielded cat 5 cable to where the connection comes into house, you don't need to strip the wire or anyting just give them a squuze with a pliers, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/20pcs-Telephone-cable-Repair-Splice-Joiner-2-Wire-Jelly-Crimps-Connector-Block-/331999981787?hash=item4d4cbdb0db:g:CpgAAOSwYIxYAMUT

I presume any electrical trade place will have them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Telephone line Gel or Jelly filled crimps, yes they look the business. Thanks drunkmonkey for the quick reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gelly clips are the preferred method.

BUT, I wouldnt be confident that thats the problem. Stripped and wrapped then taped will have the same electrical properties. I'd be more worried that he's created a bridge tap or has pinched the cable elsewhere. Does it run around a rake of phone sockets?

OK, all sorted. The problem was with the cable join, badly made/loose, surprised it worked so well over the last few years. Fitted the Gel crimps and all is well, modem sync back to its previous profile.

In the process found out that the line 50v+ DC can give you a kick if you accidently earth it via your arm to the plumbing.

Now considering moving the master socket/modem into the power room from the entrance telephone point, half way back the cable to the external junction box, for tidiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brendanreddin

On the subject , I have an eircom master socket with a 2 sockets on the front for a computer and a phone. While the computer socket works, the phone socket does not. It's wired to the back to the L1 and L2 terminals. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

On the subject , I have an eircom master socket with a 2 sockets on the front for a computer and a phone. While the computer socket works, the phone socket does not. It's wired to the back to the L1 and L2 terminals. Any ideas?

Broadband only by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Or a new Vodafone customer? Phone goes in the back of the modem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

Could just be a faulty socket port. Report it to your provider and eir will replace it.

If you are a vodafone customer makes sure you have not been migrated to VOIP telephone service.

Assuming you're not on a VOIP products from Vodafone as mentioned previously ensure the wiring is connected to the correct terminals.

The incoming line should be connected to the L1 and L2 terminals at the rear of the NTU main housing, behind the test socket and not the L1 and L2 extension terminals at the rear of the splitter faceplate. Although this is probably not the case as you have broadband.

Dual_Interface_Copper_NTU_rear_connections.jpg

Also it may be possible to connect the phoneline RJ11 connector to the test socket (RJ45) on the NTU main housing (black socket on the pic below), behind the faceplate, bypassing the faceplate to test for a dial tone. Someone may be able to confirm if this is possible.

NTU_main_housing.jpg

The Cush wrote: »
    Now considering moving the master socket/modem into the power room from the entrance telephone point, half way back the cable to the external junction box, for tidiness.

Just an update on this, we moved the NTU and modem from the entrance phone point to the power room at the weekend, entrance phone point is now an extension off the NTU.

Downstream attenuation is 39.5dB which drops slightly to 40dB once the phone is connected to the extension phone point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I realise this is an old thread but does it matter which wire coming in is attached to L1 and L2 or are they interchangeable?

daraghwal wrote: »
    I realise this is an old thread but does it matter which wire coming in is attached to L1 and L2 or are they interchangeable?
    No it doesn't matter.

No it doesn't matter.

Thanks. My friend's main socket looks like the one two posts back but has a single port faceplate with nothing coming out of it. Line comes into the back at L1 and L2. An in-house extension comes off L1 and L2 in the faceplate and the vodafone modem/router is attached at the end of this extension. Is this correct? There is no other way to plug in the modem into the main socket. It needs to be on the extension in the next room due to socket for modem. Is this correct or can wire an easier way? Cut out the middle man NTU altogether? It is just broadband so no need for the extra phone socket. Very easy for us to move around things in the attic also.

My friend's main socket looks like the one two posts back but has a single port faceplate with nothing coming out of it. Line comes into the back at L1 and L2. An in-house extension comes off L1 and L2 in the faceplate and the vodafone modem/router is attached at the end of this extension. Is this correct?

Sounds right.
    There is no other way to plug in the modem into the main socket. It needs to be on the extension in the next room due to socket for modem. Is this correct or can wire an easier way? Cut out the middle man NTU altogether? It is just broadband so no need for the extra phone socket. Very easy for us to move around things in the attic also.

If the main socket is/will no longer used and the wiring is easily transferred to the dual socket, go for it. Tape up the ends of the incoming cable until you're connecting them up.

I assume this is the socket at the extension - https://kedingtondirect.com/product/pressac-adsl-centralised-filter-ntu-kit/

Sounds right.

If the main socket is/will no longer used and the wiring is easily transferred to the dual socket, go for it. Tape up the ends of the incoming cable until you're connecting them up.

I assume this is the socket at the extension - https://kedingtondirect.com/product/pressac-adsl-centralised-filter-ntu-kit/

The one in the PDF is the main socket in the house. The one at the end of the extension is not a dual plate. It is an ordinary phone socket. We may have touched the wires together. Is that bad?

We may have touched the wires together. Is that bad?
    No, it's ok.

No, it's ok.

And the extended socket is ok being just an ordinary phone socket you can buy in the shop, yes?

And the extended socket is ok being just an ordinary phone socket you can buy in the shop, yes?

Can't see why not.

Advertisement