Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park Third Date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Zardoz wrote: »
    I don't think the Aviva was confirmed .

It was going to be an indoor tour of the US and Europe and they pulled it only a few days before all the dates were due to go onsale.

It was never confirmed either way was it?? People just speculated outdoors because of the media tour he put in, hosting the Brits etc, you don't do that for the 3 arena when you could sell it out in your sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It was never confirmed either way was it?? People just speculated outdoors because of the media tour he put in, hosting the Brits etc, you don't do that for the 3 arena when you could sell it out in your sleep.

The venue for Ireland was not confirmed but he was confirmed to be doing indoor venues in the UK .
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=10984112031

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zardoz wrote: »
    Mushy wrote: »
    He was announced for the Aviva before the news about his son came out. Don't even think it got to tickets going on sale it was that sudden!

I don't think the Aviva was confirmed .

It was going to be an indoor tour of the US and Europe and they pulled it only a few days before all the dates were due to go onsale.

I thought it was, must be mistaken!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder what the delay with the announcement of whoever is playing the third gig ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder what the delay with the announcement of whoever is playing the third gig ??

Maybe there is no third gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

if there was none then U2 would have got a second night, unless they are idiots, both U2 and croke park for giving up the opportunity -and pissing fans rightly off.

One thing is sure, whenever it is announced people will be moaning about it being the worst possible time of year to announce it!

its possible the third concert has been cancelled or is still up in the air

The Rolling Stones are no youngfellas and if ticket prices are extremely high they may struggle to sell out 80000 or so croke park tickets

Id expect u2 to get a second date if the third concert falls through.

Have any croke park summer concerts in the past been announced this late ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Rolling Stones are no youngfellas and if ticket prices are extremely high they may struggle to sell out 80000 or so croke park tickets

yep, Beyonce announced this day last year, Ed Sheeran announced on 19th February the previous year (and a second night announced the week after when the 1st sold out).
    probably others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Whoever it is would want to get a move on. Timing is everything, easy to lose your audience.

Edit: Last time the Stones played (Slane, June 2007) it was announced on March 23 that year. It seems a legal challenge was brought by MCD against the OPW to award the contract to another promoter.

Still time for Mick and Co to dust off the drums and commit to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Stones could charge what they like and it will sell out no problem. A lot of Stones fans in their 40s and 50s now. That demographic have cash to splash, at least compared to people in their 20s and 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MadYaker wrote: »
    The Stones could charge what they like and it will sell out no problem. A lot of Stones fans in their 40s and 50s now. That demographic have cash to splash, at least compared to people in their 20s and 30s.

and that's being VERY conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Whoever it is would want to get a move on. Timing is everything, easy to lose your audience.

A big band like that could announce Croke Park with a months notice and it would sell out in minutes.

There is no need at all for gigs going on sale so far in advance ,all it does is encourage touting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Could Metallica?..

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Could Metallica?..

No way,not touring Europe till the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

As popular as they were/are, I think Croke park would be a massive ask for them, aviva they could possibly do but Croke park is probably 20-30k too many/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

As popular as they were/are, I think Croke park would be a massive ask for them, aviva they could possibly do but Croke park is probably 20-30k too many/

Who are you talking about ?? If it's the stones you are deluded ... their fan base travels far and wide to see them live ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

hawkelady wrote: »
    Who are you talking about ?? If it's the stones you are deluded ... their fan base travels far and wide to see them live ...

Do keep up please Dear*, we're talking about Metallica.

*Copyright Michael Winner.

All gone very quite about the third gig

The Stones don't rush there tour announcements anyways

It's not Metallica, KOL, Garth Brooks, Lady Gaga

Rumours that the Rolling Stones European tour planned for this summer is called off

If that's the case if Ed Sheeran doesn't play then a second date will be given to u2 or Coldplay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

This has all gone very quiet, it doesn't make sense that there wouldn't be a 3rd Croke Park gig particularly since there was so much demand for U2 and Coldplay.. I wonder what is happening in the background? Still nothing for Pairc Ui Caoimh either, I reckon there will be a double announcement at some stage but who??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This has all gone very quiet, it doesn't make sense that there wouldn't be a 3rd Croke Park gig particularly since there was so much demand for U2 and Coldplay.. I wonder what is happening in the background? Still nothing for Pairc Ui Caoimh either, I reckon there will be a double announcement at some stage but who??

At this stage I'd say U2 will add the Friday night gig there.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is rumoured to be 3 months behind schedule so it wont be ready for the summer.
    They would need to have a few smaller events there initially anyway ,a soft opening ,so it will be next summer before it gets any gigs I'd say.

Theres rumours the Rolling Stones euro tour is called off and then theres rumours it will be announced the end of the month/early april

Dont Think Garth Brooks will be here dis year, Foo Fighters seem to have announced all there euro summer dates, Pearl Jam arent touring together dis summer, Metallica not in europe, no news of Billy Joel, Paul Mccartney, Bruce Springsteen, Rhianna etc touring

Dont Think Ed Sheeran will announce a surprise Croke Park gig with his 3arena shows taking place in April

U2 will prob get another date if there is not another band playing Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EvaSwitch2

From the Journal.ie article at start of Feb:

Despite speculation that a second U2 date would be added due to free days either side of that date on the European leg of their tour, McKenna explained why that won’t be the case.
    “We can’t get the equipment from Barcelona, which is their previous concert, to Dublin, in time to have a Friday concert. That’s the issue.

“Then because their next move is (to Paris), yeah, it’s logistical hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

EvaSwitch2 wrote: »
    From the Journal.ie article at start of Feb:

Despite speculation that a second U2 date would be added due to free days either side of that date on the European leg of their tour, McKenna explained why that won’t be the case.
    “We can’t get the equipment from Barcelona, which is their previous concert, to Dublin, in time to have a Friday concert. That’s the issue.

“Then because their next move is (to Paris), yeah, it’s logistical hops.

Interesting that's a plausible reason but you'd think 2 and a half days is more than enough time to get the equipment from Barcelona to Dublin.
    Its a long drive ~22 hours if you go by the Channel tunnel and then a ferry from Holyhead to Dublin.

The Paris concerts could easily have taken place on the Wednesday and Thursday as its less than 5 hours drive to the next venue in Amsterdam.
    They could have played Sat and Sunday in Dublin then easily enough.

Why didnt they go from Barcelona to Amsterdam or Paris and then Dublin for the final gig .
    It seems a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Why didnt they go from Barcelona to Amsterdam or Paris and then Dublin for the final gig .
    It seems a bit of a mess.

I don't know the logistics of it, but possibly venue availability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

It's a bit odd there's no third date.

Somebody please tell me it'll be Garth. I just want to have a good time.

The Raptor wrote: »
    It's a bit odd there's no third date.

Somebody please tell me it'll be Garth. I just want to have a good time.

Still time to announce a third show but they need to do it soon as people have there summer gig tickets bought

Garth Brooks May do a Irish grand tour in 2018 or 2019, Ed Sheeran will deff play Croke Park in 2018 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Eminem just announced a Glasgow show, it'd be nice for him to finally play Dublin, since he seems to think he's here every time he plays Ireland.

Rumours now that the rolling stones summer tour is off and they will instead play arenas in autumn

If the third show was saved for them that means it may be too late to try and book another act and they say logistically either u2 or Coldplay can't play 2nd dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

is there any evidence that the Rolling Stones were going to tour stadiums this summer in the first place?

Advertisement