Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you leave your kit powered on all the time?

• 27-01-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi guys

I am really enjoying this thread. As I mentioned in a previous thread up until recently I have been using Xiaomi kit. That was until I bought a dot on adverts. Since buying it I have invested in Hue lights, Netatmo thermostat and TP plugs.

While using the Mi Home kit I only switched it on in an ad hoc way. I did not leave it on all the time. Do you guys leave your kit, wifi, dot etc all the time? Have you noticed any cost implications e.g. energy costs? Does the benefit outweigh the costs?

I am assuming that I will need to keep wifi on all the time and use the tp plugs gor other electrical devices?

When a hue bulb is off via the app or alexa I am assuming that it is not costing anywhere near as much as when it is on?

Thanks and sorry if some if the above is obvious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mine is on 24/7.

Electricity is expensive here, 32c during the day and 28c in the evening, so energy consumption is a major factor in my purchasing decision for any electrical device. My servers would be the biggest consumption of power, I try to minimise hard drive spin ups as much as possible with them.

My bills are around 85-90 a month, which falls into the average usage based on my house size and number of people in it. If it ever goes above average I will probably re-evaluate leaving the servers running 24/7.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I just leave everything running 24/7. Most of these IOT devices are very low power usage in standby. I haven't noticed any noticeable impact on the bills.

In fact if you are moving from old light bulbs to Hue or similar LEDs then you would actually be significantly reducing your energy usage.

The big energy guslers are old incandescent light bulbs, TV's, fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, desktop PC's, AC, electric heaters, electric cookers, etc.

Updating to modern A rated versions of these sort of devices can deliver significant energy savings.
    jester77 wrote:
    Electricity is expensive here, 32c during the day and 28c in the evening

Where is that?!! I assume not Ireland, 14c is quiet common here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The issue of vampire loads is popping its head up in industry.

Using iot devices in switches is one of the better ways to cut this down as one IoT device is killing power to all the lights on that circuit.

Advertisement