Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

night rate v standard

Options
  • 27-01-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi,

If I don't use much electricity during night rate hours is it costing me money to be on night rate? I was reading online for it to be worth you while on night rate you would want to be using 1/4 your daily consumption at night rate hours.

Is my standing charge more expensive yearly because on night rate?

And also I can seem to find the figures anywhere but they say if you sign up to night rate your normal rate hours are increased rather than if I was on standard 24hrs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for getting in touch.

For all electricity customers of all electricity providers, there are two types of general electricity usage meters: the 24-hour meter and the day/night meter (it just depends on what type is installed at the property). The day/night meter is also known as the NightSaver.

The Electric Ireland unit rate (including VAT) for the 24-hour meter is 17.17 cent.

The Electric Ireland unit rate (including VAT) for a day/night meter is - Day: 18.33 cent; Night: 9.06 cent.

The standing charge for a NightSaver meter is higher than the standing charge for a 24-hour meter. As you can see, the day rate for the NightSaver is higher than the 24-hour meter unit rate, so to maximise benefit from the day/night system, it is recommended to concentrate as much usage as possible during the hours when the night rate comes into effect. At the moment, this is 11pm to 8am. When the clocks go forward, it will be midnight to 9am.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement