Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing / Resting

Options
  • 27-01-2017 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

All

Odd one here that I am curious about . What is cycling "etiquette" about stopping on a climb for a rest .

I can do most of the major climbs in wicklow relatively easy , but am hoping to try mount ventoux later in year and am daunted at prospect !

Is it ok to take a rest say half way up and then tackle rest of the climb ? Can one day you have conquered a climb if have to rest for a bit ?

I did a 10km avg 6% last week in canaries which was tough as hell but I managed it in one go so I'm reasonably fit for my age (I'm 50)

So ultimately can you rest on a monster climb and still say you have conquered it ?

Thanks !

B

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I personally don't think you can say you've conquered a climb if you've stopped at any point!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Stop before the summit? God No!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

5 minutes every 3km on the climb to the Col de Tourmalet a couple of years ago. Turned into 5 minutes every 1 km near the top...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

You can only stop if you do so due to falling over.

Also Rule 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

I be sick with myself if I stopped before the top and it be the same if I was doing a run and walked some of it . It's a no no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 bkgator

Thats clear so ! .. I best get some serious training in for Ventoux in September so !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I personally don't think you can say you've conquered a climb if you've stopped at any point!

Mt. Leinster mast, Jun-Jul, see you there.

:P

Alek wrote: »

Yep; my white whale...

Mine too, still!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wouldn't listen to anyone else, everyone has different levels of fitness and if your tiring then your best taking a break. It'd be worse if you ploughed on and had to turn and go back down because your energy levels were too low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I wouldn't listen to anyone else, everyone has different levels of fitness and if your tiring then your best taking a break. It'd be worse if you ploughed on and had to turn and go back down because your energy levels were too low.

I would! OP go for it! You can do it! PMA! you've plenty of time to train for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

Never stop for a break.... stop to check what that rattling noise is or to take a picture ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Thud wrote: »
    Never stop for a break.... stop to check what that rattling noise is or to take a picture ;)
    is that not Rule 5?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mine too, still!
    I see a boardsie hill climb challenge coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Stop for as many breaks as you need, but, and here's the trick.....

Don't tell anybody you stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you have to stop, your gearing is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Im in Carlow next week with the bike. is mt. leinster a bit of a no-go in winter weather. illl give it a lash otherwise.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I see a boardsie hill climb challenge coming up.

Would be great to have another one of these; must be 5 years since the one on Stocking Lane?

is mt. leinster a bit of a no-go in winter weather.

I wouldn't go downhill there if there was even minimal chance of ice. Uphill.. what's the worst that can happen? You can practice falling off the bike at 4kph in your backyard :P
    Would be great to have another one of these

I said to myself no challenges this year, but I'd love to come and watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I the Evil not hilly enough for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I stopped on the Angliru on the 23.5% ramp. I don't give a fck. That one deserves a pass.

I realy have to go back again to do it in one go though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Cycle up it any way you like and you'll still have cycled up it. Enjoy your cycling and don't let what others think put you off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

TGD wrote: »
    Cycle up it any way you like and you'll still have cycled up it. Enjoy your cycling and don't let what others think put you off.

Yes indeed. As the Floyd put it, 'I'll climb the hill in my own way'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Lumen wrote: »
    If you have to stop, your gearing is wrong.

Soooo , what is the correct gearing for someone strong in a group but lags a bit on the hills ?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Confucius quote: “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”

Note: Only applies at sub 4,000m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm18 wrote: »
    Would be great to have another one of these; must be 5 years since the one on Stocking Lane?

Let's do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

moonshadow wrote: »
    Soooo , what is the correct gearing for someone strong in a group but lags a bit on the hills ?
    Small enough gears so you don't have to stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I was in the position to get to climb Mt Ventoux last year about 2 weeks before the Tour went up it. I would say keep an eye on the forecast - Not every day is suitable for climbing to the top. Even the Tour last year finished at Chalet Renard as forecast was uncertain.
    If the OP can get to the top without stopping he can definitely say he conquered it, but I'll never 'conquer' it if that's the yardstick. Wouldn't mind going back though.
    Similarly, I passed the 50 mark last year a few months before my effort,and it was one of my most memorable days on the bike.
    Good Luck

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100272357&postcount=18

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bkgator

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    I was in the position to get to climb Mt Ventoux last year about 2 weeks before the Tour went up it. I would say keep an eye on the forecast - Not every day is suitable for climbing to the top. Even the Tour last year finished at Chalet Renard as forecast was uncertain.
    If the OP can get to the top without stopping he can definitely say he conquered it, but I'll never 'conquer' it if that's the yardstick. Wouldn't mind going back though.
    Similarly, I passed the 50 mark last year a few months before my effort,and it was one of my most memorable days on the bike.
    Good Luck

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100272357&postcount=18

Thanks for the encouragement buzz ! .. Daunting prospect but with a good bit of training between now and Sept hopefully i will be able to do it in similar vein to yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If your goal is to get to the top, then stop as many times as necessary to achieve it. If your goal is to ride it without stopping — instant fail if you stop. 😀

Advertisement