Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Internship

Options
  • 27-01-2017 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

Looking for some advise if anyone can help. I completed a higher diploma in Web Technologies a couple of years ago. Unfortunately there was no internship at the end of it, whereas the year before most people got placed.

The main language we used was Ruby on Rails and maybe the internships dried up because Ruby on Rails doesn't seem to be a popular language anymore. I have recently become unemployed and I am doing an online Java course with ecollege which I'm enjoying (It's free to unemployed).

Basically what I'm asking is how difficult is it to get a Java Internship and should I stick with it or return to a career (which I would have to do exams for) which I don't particularly like, but I have a better chance of employment.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Why not look at a conversion course for Software Development?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LenyG86

Thanks for the reply.
    The course I did in Web Development was a conversion course too.
    There is a two year evening conversion course in Software development starting soon, which would suit me because I could work also.
    I'm just worried that I would be back in the same position two years from now.
    Do you think a course in software development might offer more opportunities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

where are you located?

where are you located?
    South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

LenyG86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    There is a two year evening conversion course in Software development starting soon, which would suit me because I could work also.

It will certainly broaden your skill set and give you more opportunities to get into a career. Unfortunately the first job is always the hardest to get as your lack of commercial experience basically means employers are taking a complete chance on you. This is not a reflection on you, but any new starter into the tech industry has the same stereotype to fight against.

I found what helps massively is a portfolio of your own work that isn't tied to the college. Build an app or a website, something to show you understood what you were taught and you can apply it.

I run the graduate program in my work and this was a big factor in deciding who I brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

LenyG86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

There's no substitute for academic qualifications as far as recruiters are concerned. They'll be very tough to get past in the first instance.

RedXIV wrote: »
    It will certainly broaden your skill set and give you more opportunities to get into a career. Unfortunately the first job is always the hardest to get as your lack of commercial experience basically means employers are taking a complete chance on you. This is not a reflection on you, but any new starter into the tech industry has the same stereotype to fight against.

I found what helps massively is a portfolio of your own work that isn't tied to the college. Build an app or a website, something to show you understood what you were taught and you can apply it.

I run the graduate program in my work and this was a big factor in deciding who I brought in.
    Thanks for the advice. I think what I'll do is finish the online Java course and then once I get confident enough with the language, I'll start building apps and learn how to create a portfolio. Hopefully at that stage I understand what I'm doing and I'll be able to talk about the code in an interview.

Advertisement