Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can i come into any branch to change bagged coins into notes?

• 27-01-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

I have upwards of 300-400 euro in loose change at home. I'm currently bagging them up into individual bags of 10s, 20s, 50s etc. Can I call in to any BOI branch and change these into cash (or lodge the money to my account)? Or is there a set day where I can do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie

You can lodge coin to your account once they are fully bagged and in the correct denominations. Some branches have specific times for coin lodgement and you can check the service times available for your branch on our group website here

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

I currently have all my coins bagged up into individual bags of 1c's, 2c's, 10c's, 20c's and 50c's. Do I need to know exactly how much is in each bag or can the bank do that themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I currently have all my coins bagged up into individual bags of 1c's, 2c's, 10c's, 20c's and 50c's. Do I need to know exactly how much is in each bag or can the bank do that themselves?
    I think you will need to have it bagged into the correct amounts. So €1 in 1c coins etc...are they bagged in the little bags that you can get in the bank? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Tommo3434343, 

As beechwood55 correctly mentioned, the coins would need to be fully bagged with the correct amount of coins in each bag. The amount of which should be in each bag is displayed on the front of the bags themselves. 

I hope this helps,
    Elaine 

Hi Tommo3434343, 

As beechwood55 correctly mentioned, the coins would need to be fully bagged with the correct amount of coins in each bag. The amount of which should be in each bag is displayed on the front of the bags themselves. 

I hope this helps,
    Elaine 
    I would have taught the banks counting machine would be capable of that, no? If the CoinStar machines in shops can do it, I'd be surprised if the bank can't. I'm sure they would have to anyway. They're hardly going to take my word on how much is in each bag. I'll do it if I have to but it's a massive inconvenience for something that should be straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

I would have taught the banks counting machine would be capable of that, no? If the CoinStar machines in shops can do it, I'd be surprised if the bank can't. I'm sure they would have to anyway. They're hardly going to take my word on how much is in each bag. I'll do it if I have to but it's a massive inconvenience for something that should be straightforward.
    Bring it to the coin machine if you want the convenience. It will charge at least 10% though.

The bank will simply weigh the bag to ensure it is the correct amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Hi Tommo3434343, 

I hope this helps,
    Elaine 
    The bags of coins are weighed by the branch staff when you bring them to the counter. That will tell them whether or not the bag of coins is counted correctly. They don't empty each bag and count it again in front of you. 

Bring it to the coin machine if you want the convenience. It will charge at least 10% though.

The bank will simply weigh the bag to ensure it is the correct amount.
    I would have thought the bank would have their own version of a coin machine. It's a bit silly if they don't. As far as convenience, that's why I pay bank fees to BOI. It's hardly entitlement to expect some level of service and convenience for the amount of fees I have to pay. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I would have thought the bank would have their own version of a coin machine. It's a bit silly if they don't. As far as convenience, that's why I pay bank fees to BOI. It's hardly entitlement to expect some level of service and convenience for the amount of fees I have to pay. 

Each bag has a fixed amount which can be put in it of each denomination. This is usually written on the bag.
    It's there for a purpose.
    The bank will weigh it and confirm the amounts are correct.

Alternatively, bring it to the central bank.

Alternatively, bring it to the central bank.
    I might do that if it's handier. What's the procedure in the central bank for coins if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Hi Tommo3434343, 

I hope this helps,
    Elaine 
    Hi Tommo3434343,

The coin bags are weighed once you have advised the staff member at the branch that the correct amount of coin is in each bag.

If we can help with anything else here please let us know.

Thanks,
    Tara C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I realise this is an old thread, but surely weighing 20 bags in a few minutes and pay no fees, is a better experience than throwing loose coins in a machine, waiting for it to process, fill it up again, wait, collect rejected coins, throw them in, wait more, fill again, wait, fill, wait, fill again, print receipt and pay 12% fees, no?

Poncke wrote: »
    I realise this is an old thread, but surely weighing 20 bags in a few minutes and pay no fees, is a better experience than throwing loose coins in a machine, waiting for it to process, fill it up again, wait, collect rejected coins, throw them in, wait more, fill again, wait, fill, wait, fill again, print receipt and pay 12% fees, no?
    Not at all. Weighing the bags is the easy part. Counting 100's of euros worth of 1c's, 2c's, 5c's etc. in order to bag them correctly is vastly more time consuming. The coin machines are as simple as pouring the coins in and it counts if for you. I've used them before and they're dead handy. The fee's are very high though. I'm just a bit surprised the bank doesn't have their own version of the machine for BOI customers. Seems like a reasonable service to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Coin is a nuisance to branches. They don't want it. Go to the machine in Tesco and you won't pay a charge if you spend the voucher in their shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Go to the self service machines in dunnes and tesco, use it to pay for shopping. no 10% fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Tommo, fair point

Ally, spend 400 euro in a Spar? :D

We are collecting all change in a 5 liter water bottle, will be fun to open that and sort it out. Just spend a Saturday with the wife, have a few beers, listen to music, sort the coins and find out the amount at the end of the day. It's 3/4 full and we cant lift it anymore. LOL

Advertisement