Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clueless...do I have a chance??

Options
  • 27-01-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi!

So this is my suitation:

24 living a home working as a waitress. Feck all friends around, well I might as well say have no friends around. I feel I am at my wits end. I need to get out of here and start living my life, but I am scared. I have no college education, nothing ever appealed to me so I have been working in a resturant for the last few years.

I have no clue how to go about organising anything for Austrilia. The fact that I have no qualifications feels like it limits me so much that I wouldnt be able to get work there. Im scared that if I do go over I'll "sink". Maybe its just a confidence issue, I'd really like to hear from someone who was in a similiarsuitation as me, took the risk and went out there. If I had someone to go with I prob wounld not be as anxious about the whole thing.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bluejay01

Hi
    I would start by reading up on the Working Holiday Visa for Australia and what is required to obtain it
    https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

You'll need to save up some money for your airfare and have money behind you while you job hunt in Australia. You mentioned you have been working as a waitress for several years, you should be able to secure a job doing that in Australia easily enough then you can explore other options while you are there.
    More info on Australia here - http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/australia/planning-a-move-to-australia-here-s-everything-you-need-to-know-1.2025848

You're 24 years old, with no ties in Ireland, just go for it! Lots of people travel alone(I did it alone and you meet people very easily).
    What's the worse that can happen? You spend 6 months there, it doesn't work out, so you return home. In 30 years time, at least you can look back and say 'I spent 6 months in Australia when I was younger, it didn't work out but at least I gave it a go'!    Or you can look back in 30 years time and think "I wonder what would of happened if I'd given Australia a go"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Coming here, with hospitality experience (waitressing) isn't a bad thing.

Just save up enough money to come out here and know you'll be comfortable with your savings for a while. Finding a hospitality job should be easy. Even call centre work would be about $50K a year. Bar work $45-$50k a year. minimum wage is about $35k a year.

I've a friend staying with me, just turned 21, no formal qualifications but has call centre experience back home and is making about $55K a year and is managing to save a fair bit even with paying rent at my place and partying hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

bluejay01 wrote: »
    You're 24 years old, with no ties in Ireland, just go for it! Lots of people travel alone(I did it alone and you meet people very easily).
    What's the worse that can happen? You spend 6 months there, it doesn't work out, so you return home. In 30 years time, at least you can look back and say 'I spent 6 months in Australia when I was younger, it didn't work out but at least I gave it a go'!    Or you can look back in 30 years time and think "I wonder what would of happened if I'd given Australia a go"

take this advice!!

Advertisement