Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky to launch full IPTV service

• 27-01-2017 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Saw an article there that Sky will be launching a full IPTV service this year, doing away with the need for a satellite dish. Will be welcome news to apartment residents I'm sure. Wonder what hardware/STB's they'll be using to deliver it?
    Sky will offer its full TV service over broadband later this year in a break with satellite broadcasting, amid growing signs that its subscriber base is being eroded by intense competition from BT and Netflix.

The company said it would target around two million UK homes that cannot or will not install a satellite dish with a version of its Sky Q service delivered entirely over the internet.

The move signals the start of a long-term shift away from satellite broadcasting. Sky has invested heavily in technology infrastructure to allow it to stream hundreds of channels live. The service will be distinct from its cheaper and more limited Now TV streaming brand.

It announced the plans alongside half-year results that showed that churn - the closely watched measure of customers choosing to end their Sky contract - jumped to 11.6pc from 10.2pc last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/26/sky-launch-full-pay-tv-broadband-struggles-hold-satellite-subscribers/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Wonder what hardware/STB's they'll be using to deliver it?

SkyQ receiver I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Also based on what I read in various places 2018 was touted rather than 2017, I believe the quote from Darroch was 'Launching in our next financial year and initially in the UK' but perhaps the Telegraph have clarified that it's later in 2017.

He also made no mention of Nowtv launching in the ROI which is unfortunate as they usually mention impending service changes and launches in their results bulletins.

Advertisement