Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th anniversary of the Apollo 1 fire 27th January 1967

Options
  • 27-01-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭

The Apollo 1 astronauts were Ed white, Virgil "Guss" Grissom, and Roger Chaffee
    260px-Apollo1-Crew_01.jpg
    180px-Apollo_1_patch.png
    At 18:00GMT(13:00EST), it will be is exactly fifty years to the minute that the astronauts of Apollo 1 were climbing into the block I command module sitting on launch pad 34 for a "plugs out" test. This test was classed as a non hazardous test which is ironic considering what transpired.

The test was plagued with issues including but not limited to communications which led Grissom to say "How are we going to get to the Moon if we can't talk between two or three buildings?"

At 11:30PM GMT the count in the test was still held at T-10minutes when there was a upsurge in voltage from inside the spacecraft.

At 11:31:04PM GMT the first signs that there was a fire occurred when one of the astronauts said "fire in the cockpit."

It was over in a matter of seconds and all three astronauts were dead. The fire and deaths of Grissom, white and Chaffee were not in vain though as it highlighted serious issues with the CM and NASA itself and prevented a dangerous CM and spacecraft from going into space.

So I think it's only fitting that we remember these men tonight for the sacrifice they made. They made manned space flight safer for all that would follow and I think that's a very fitting tribute and legacy for the men of Apollo 1.

Also given that tomorrow is the challenger disaster anniversary and Columbia is in early February, may the men of Apollo 1 and the men and women of challenger and Columbia RIP.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One of the most valued items I have in my possession is the Spacecraft procedures manual used on that very day. More, one used by one Mr Walt Kapyran, deputy launch director up to Apollo 12, when he became launch director*. So he was "on the ground" when this terrible and as it turned out preventable tragedy happened.

Cover page for "Space Vehicle plugs out integrated test".

9amyx0.jpg

NB it was printed/transmitted on the 6th of Jan, but like film scripts updated pages and changes were transmitted afterward and added to the whole.

Title page.

2hmodnn.jpg

Hold at ten minutes.

2agkjty.jpg

Hand written notes on the suit O2 readings and slight spike that was noted later on.

f04zlu.jpg

What's poignant for me anyway is the pages before the ten minute hold are slightly more yellowed(and have various handwritten notes), but from then on the pages are only yellowed at the very edges with time. They were never to be used on the day.

It never ceases to have an impact on me when I look at it. More mad when I consider how very, even sadly little I paid for it, especially when even instruction manuals for Lego "limited edition" imaginary spacecraft can go for hundreds of quid. Yet this, for an actually effin spacecraft that took humanity to the moon cost buttons. Daft. It's highly valued with me anyway.

*the mission that was struck by lightning just after lift off. He was kindly known as Captain Lightning by his colleagues for a while after that. I have one of his his checkout manuals for testing the vehicle(Sat V/LM/CSM) after possible strikes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wibbs that a great thing to have. How did you get that ? I mean I tried to give a tribute to the men who died but you have wonderfully complemented it with a vivid reminder of that day.

Speaking of Apollo 12. How lucky they Alan bean remembered what "SCE to aux" meant after the lightning strick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Seriously awestruck that you own that Wibbs.

There was a terrible irony that the stronger hatch with the more elaborate (and more difficult to operate) opening was introduced after the hatch blew accidentally on Grissom's Mercury capsule.

cml387 wrote: »
    Seriously awestruck that you own that Wibbs.

There was a terrible irony that the stronger hatch with the more elaborate (and more difficult to operate) opening was introduced after the hatch blew accidentally on Grissom's Mercury capsule.
    Well that's one theory as to why but I'm not sure that was the only reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Wibbs that a great thing to have.
    And well I know it Sir.
    How did you get that ?
    Ebay of all places. Yep. Mad. Didn't quite realise what I actually had until it was in my hands and the date on the inner page resonated. Hairs on the back of the neck time.

It seems Apollo 11 and any actually flown stuff gets the the attention, or did anyway. These days not so much.
    Speaking of Apollo 12. How lucky they Alan bean remembered what "SCE to aux" meant after the lightning strick.
    I love the audio from that launch. How calm they were and how they worked the problem, while sat atop the equivalent of a small atomic bomb, that was moving at high speed. The bit after they get it sorted and they giggle all the way into orbit… How they fitted their giant man globes into the spacecraft, never mind the spacesuits is still a wonder to me.

I have Walt's launch team badge from 12 too. Also cost feck all. In fairness I've long been a collector since I was a kid. It's an illness. I damn near live in a "cabinet of curiosities". :o:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I see that NASA have opened an exhibit and tribute to Apollo 1 that shows the three parts to the hatch from the accident. That must be humbling to see.

Also to get to the next part of the building you get to walk across an actual gangway from the Apollo missions(the red ones we have seen) and it's made to look like you're in the air. I'd LOVE to do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Wibbs wrote: »
    One of the most valued items I have in my possession is the Spacecraft procedures manual used on that very day.

1870486384-Pawn-Star-Rickcrop.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wibbs that a great thing to have. How did you get that ? I mean I tried to give a tribute to the men who died but you have wonderfully complemented it with a vivid reminder of that day.

Not as lucky as they were that Aaron was diligent enough to trace and solve the problem when he observed it before :)

• Advertisement

Well lads thank you for contributing to my rememberance thread about the heroes of apollo 1 and the challenger and Columbia disasters that made the ultimate sacrifice. Also wibbs I'd talk Apollo missions for days even though unlike you I wasn't born until 13 years after the programme ended.

unlike you I wasn't born until 13 years after the programme ended.
    You were doing so well up to this point. Ya langer. :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    unlike you I wasn't born until 13 years after the programme ended.
    You were doing so well up to this point. Ya langer. :D
    I know sure I'm but a pup. But I'm the sad person who will read the air to ground transcripts of Apollo missions in my spare time.

I've tried to reply to the John Aaron post twice but boards is acting up for me. Yes Apollo 12 and the ground were lucky that one person on the ground knew what to do Alan bean in the spacecraft knew what the call meant.

today is the 56th anniversary of this fire.

Advertisement