Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your weekly grocery spend?

Options
  • 27-01-2017 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

2 adults and 2 toddlers here and we spend around €80 p/w on our grocery shop plus an extra €20-€30 on top ups. Husband has a subsidised canteen at work so he has breakfast and lunch there but apart from that, our shopping covers all other meals and snacks. I used to be more frugal but have gone off track a bit recently. I always meal plan and write a shopping list.

Is €100- €110 typical for a 2 adult, 2 child household?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not abnormal anyway. Do you mean food or all groceries?

Figures will be distorted when people eat out or get takeaways a lot - my 60 for two adults is impacted by many Indians!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

I probably spend around €15 max for myself per week, usually €10. But I'm a student with a tight budget so I don't have much choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maxthedm wrote: »
    I probably spend around €15 max for myself per week, usually €10. But I'm a student with a tight budget so I don't have much choice!

What else are you eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I spend about e20 / week on food. Single person.
    I find it hard to spend money, without seeing waste.
    Make every meal from scratch, in batches, freeze portions for future use.
    Tesco do food storage lunch boxes, greatest money saving device I have.
    Shop once / week in Lidl.
    I am a working professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

2 adults + 4 kids aged 6 and under. Leaving out nappies and baby formula, we've spiked to about €110 or so per week the past few months.
    We cook every meal from scratch, rarely eat out and do most of our shopping in the local Lidl with occassional trips to Aldi, Supervalu or Tesco. 1 or 2 big shops at the weekend with top ups during the week. I bring lunches to work most days.
    Kids have Aldi porridge made with milk and fruit added in every school morning.

Our bill has risen mainly due to OH being off on maternity. She's not as savvy at meal planning etc and would nearly go to the shops every day. if you do that, you'll always end up with more than you need. Whereas I have meals in mind when I do the big shops at the weekend as I'm the main chef in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

About 40-50 Euro a week for 2 adults in our 30's.

For breakfast all we ever eat is porridge and/or eggs. Porridge is cheap in Aldi/Lidl. And can get good deals on eggs in butchers. 30 for under 3 euro or sometimes free with meat.

Dinner is usually chicken based. Can also get good deals from butchers too if buying in bulk. Also a big bag of prawns for about 3 euro in Aldi. Or 2 good sirloin/striploin steaks for under a tenner. Usually raid the clearance sections if i see turkey mince or any meats I can freeze.

The rest is either rice/pasta or potatoes/sweet potatoes. Bulked up with lots of veg.

I slow cook a lot and use spices and herbs in a lot of cooking. So usually a few cheap tins of chopped tomatoes/passata is enough for a few different recipes.

Also whatever fruit is on offer.

Neither of us eat sweets or processed stuff so that cuts down on buying crap we don't need. If it was just food i reckon 40 Euro would be the most we'd spend. On weeks we'd need something you wouldn't buy week to week like butter, olive oil, etc it could push closer to 50 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

2 Adults 1 Toddler - €140 a week on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Haylesm

2 adults and 2 children (6, 12) here and i would spend €80 - €100 per week.
    I do all mine in aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

3 Adults
    1 Child

Spend on average 90e per week in Aldi, Don't bother with going to local shops anymore for bread etc just get it in Aldi now and freeze it.

We are a meat and 2 veg family plus I get free breakfast and lunches at work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

2 adults
    3 'kids' (21,18,16)

€200 PW plus a takeaway on a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Beccy29

2 Adults
    1 child
    €180 per week in Aldi and local shop..
    We eat well for that, however I'm sure I can reduce that figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

2 adults and 2 kids (5 and baby) and we'd average between €90 and €100 p/w. Order Tesco online so tend to buy the same stuff over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Family of 5 (all 17+)

Roughly 300 quid per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

6 people, (4 adults, 2 kids) E80 for week

includes all school lunches and three meals a day at home (for everyone) milk which i buy on Tuesdays for the week and a bag of spuds probably towards end of wk (or I might get away with what I have left)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

6 people, (4 adults, 2 kids) E80 for week

includes all school lunches and three meals a day at home (for everyone) milk which i buy on Tuesdays for the week and a bag of spuds probably towards end of wk (or I might get away with what I have left)

Would love to know how you do this. We are two adults (60+) and I spend at least €30-€40 approx for groceries each week and this doesn't include meat or fish. I cook from scratch, I don't buy takeaways or 'convenient meals'. Leftovers are always used or put in the freezer for another time. We do buy a good amount of fresh vegetables and fruit and I bake most weeks. I shop everywhere depending on price, Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco, Dealz, Mr. Price for groceries so I just can't buy cheaper anywhere else.

Today I went to Lidl, Aldi and tesco.
    Pineapples and red apples 39c in tesco.
    Broccoli and 500g clementines 49c each in Aldi.
    Lidl shops includes 2 stuffed chickens reduced to 3.50 each, one for tomorrow, one next wk.
    bought 10 packs ribs on offer @ 1.99 each, will do 5 dinners, one tonight, rest will be frozen.
    Hams on offer in SV last wk (2.75 kg for E11) had E8 off E40 shop so ham was E8.8 for 2.75kg and I cut in half, one for Monday with lidl cabbage 49c, other half in freezer.
    Takeout night, 3 pizza E2.40 will load with peppers, pepperoni, pineapple cheese etc etc (bought blocks cheese last time on offer, cut up and frozen) with chips (E1.49 for 2.5kg -v- E2.20 per portion)
    Pork mince was on offer @E1.20 (approx) few weeks ago, bought 10. Meatballs and tomato sauce v cheap to make.
    Pasta was free after cashing in the coupons included in Lidl goodie bags handed out at the ploughing (also got free marmalade, digestive biscuits, jars of tomato sauce) which I still have a stock of
    Milk is E1 for 2 lts on a Tuesday and spuds were E3 for 10 kg 2weeks ago in local store

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Today I went to Lidl, Aldi and tesco.
    Pineapples 39c in tesco.
    Broccoli and 500g clementines 49c each in Aldi.
    Lidl shops includes 2 stuffed chickens reduced to 3.50 each, one for tomorrow, one next wk.
    bought 10 packs ribs on offer @ 1.99 each, will do 5 dinners, one tonight, rest will be frozen.
    Hams on offer in SV last wk (2.75 kg for E11) had E8 off E40 shop so ham was E8.8 for 2.75kg and I cut in half, one for Monday with lidl cabbage 49c, other half in freezer.
    Takeout night, 3 pizza E2.40 will load with peppers, pepperoni, pineapple cheese etc etc (bought blocks cheese last time on offer, cut up and frozen) with chips (E1.49 for 2.5kg -v- E2.20 per portion)
    Pork mince was on offer @E1.20 (approx) few weeks ago, bought 10. Meatballs and tomato sauce v cheap to make.
    Pasta was free after cashing in the coupons included in Lidl goodie bags handed out at the ploughing (also got free marmalade, digestive biscuits, jars of tomato sauce) which I still have a stock of
    Milk is E1 for 2 lts on a Tuesday and spuds were E3 for 10 kg 2weeks ago in local store
    Surely one chicken wouldn't feed 4 adults and 2 kids ?

harr wrote: »

One €4 Tesco chicken feeds 5 adults in our house.

harr wrote: »

Yes, all the meat is eaten, it is picked down to just carcass remaining, there is also potatoes and loads of vegetables.
    Don't forget, this is only one meal, we also have, what most people consider a full meal at supper time, ie lasagne, meatballs, spaghetti bolognaise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

My wife and I spend around150e per week on a combination of groceries and takeaways. The dog food is 50e per week on top of that. Luckily the cat doesn't cost as much!

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    My wife and I spend around150e per week on a combination of groceries and takeaways. The dog food is 50e per week on top of that. Luckily the cat doesn't cost as much!

What do you feed the dog?

I bought 10 x 10kg bags of dog food @E4.49 each last time they were on offer in Lidl and I still have some, months later and I have a labrador dog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

What do you feed the dog?

Orijen dog food. I have two Old English Sheepdogs. They get through 2 13KG bags a month at 96e a bag. I'd be wary about 10kgs of anything for 4.49e

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

2 adult and 2 kids (7) we spend between 70 and 90 euros a week on all groceries....i see whats on spec offer each week and make meal plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jellybellyelly

Around 40 euro per week on average for one adult. I buy organic on certain items so it could be cheaper but it works fine for me. I eat much healthier than I used to now so although I spend more at the supermarket I spend nothing on fast food, takeaways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MommySquish

€50 - €70 for 2 adults and one child (9).

Husband works, and whether he gets food while working (probably does, as he doesn't take food most days) that's up to him. This covers all food eaten in the house and then I allow one takeaway treat for the kid at the weekend, whatever she wants (usually mcdonald's or hillbillies) which is €5-€7.

Husband works shift work, and to be honest, if he's working nights, and it's hot, I tend to skip the meat and 2 veg kind of dinner and opt for the easy toasted sandwich, homemade sweet waffles and the like. We tend to not have takeaway as I like a cinema trip once in a while and I find that experience more fulfilling than a bag of chips or a pizza.

We have gotten alot better. When we were living apart, it could very well be €100-€120 per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was using the credit card for all grocery shopping up to now so that I could see at the end of the month exactly how much I am spending on groceries. Our bills for the last few months have been quite shocking for just two adults 60+ in the home most of the time, now and again one or other of the children arrives in and eats with us. So now I am back to cash in hand to see how much I can save if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

Spend €100 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids that includes nappies and formula. Tesco click and collect best thing ever as it helps manage the spend and means I don't have to go shopping with the kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Diceicle wrote: »
    2 Adults 1 Toddler - ?140 a week on average.

Really :eek:
    May I ask where you do your shopping. Im in the same situation as you and we spend around 70 and thats with us buying treats and random stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

80-90 a week one adult one child
    usually buy too much and have some waste...most of the major supermarkets about 25 min away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 peckerdara

2+2 (10 & 9) and spend about €120 every fortnight shop with probably another €50 on top-ups. Some waste by not shopping weekly. I don't think rocket etc last two weeks.

Advertisement