Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to remove fan from Vaio laptop

Options
  • 27-01-2017 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Trying to remove fan from Vaio laptop. The part holding the CPU needs to be removed. The picture shows that the long narrow part had two screws and two of some other type holding it in. What are the others, where it says "not a screw" How can i remove them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They arent holding it, they're rivets.

There are 4 screws around CPU you need to remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

ED E wrote: »
    They arent holding it, they're rivets.

There are 4 screws around CPU you need to remove.
    OK i know about the four around the CPU. So I can just pull off the narrow bar with the rivets? Will it need a rivet going back? One video said there were number showing what order to remove CPU screws -different laptop- but there are no numbers on mine so I can do it in any order I like?hanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭cml387

If you just want to change the fan, can it not just slide out of its location without needing to remove the heatsink?

Edit: Looking at the picture I see that might not be possible

cml387 wrote: »
    If you just want to change the fan, can it not just slide out of its location without needing to remove the heatsink?
    maybe, but want to look at CPU too. The laptop is very slow. Can the CPU be changed for a better one or would it not work with the motherboard
    Edit: Looking at the picture I see that might not be possible
    I do not want to try any force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I own a VAIO myself.
    I would concur with cml387 about accessing the fan:

• Advertisement

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I own a VAIO myself.
    I would concur with cml387 about accessing the fan:
    i will want to remove the cpu too to see how the paste is

Why put a permanent mechanical fastener in a laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

A bit more about my own machine.
    She's 6 years old next month.
    Has had hard disc and memory replaced.
    I've never seen either the fan or CPU on it-
    There are only TWO establishments I'd trust to open it:
    Where I got my other PC repaired and another place in Swords which repaired a smartphone of mine.
    The on off button no longer works anymore: I press the ASSIST to turn it on and then choose restart as normal from the option menu..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

My old Dell had a similar enough setup. Fan unit came off separately from the heat pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

That retaining bar. Did it definitely have screws? Doesn't look like any receiving holes underneath?

mordeith wrote: »
    That retaining bar. Did it definitely have screws? Doesn't look like any receiving holes underneath?
    yes i removed two screws where marked on photo. the screws go into it's like a little part that comes up like a tiny tube

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    My old Dell had a similar enough setup. Fan unit came off separately from the heat pipe.
    is the heat pipe the long almost s shape and isn't the heat sink under the fan

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-sony-vaio-vgn-nr-laptop/ says heat sink has to come off before fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i will want to remove the cpu too to see how the paste is

Why put a permanent mechanical fastener in a laptop

Because its part of the heatpipe. You dont need to take it apart. It will lift away as a whole when the retention is removed.

2x "Screw Removed
    4x CPU Screws
    ?x Fan screws

Then lift. It may be sticky to remove due to the old paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭cml387

maybe, but want to look at CPU too. The laptop is very slow. Can the CPU be changed for a better one or would it not work with the motherboard

I do not want to try any force

The fact that yor laptop is slow is nothing to do with the CPU.
    It's because your laptop is overloaded with programs running you don' know about.
    You need a software fix, not changing the cpu which probably can't be done anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

cml387 wrote: »
    The fact that yor laptop is slow is nothing to do with the CPU.
    It's because your laptop is overloaded with programs running you don' know about.
    You need a software fix, not changing the cpu which probably can't be done anyway.

An overheating cpu will trottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

degsie wrote: »
    An overheating cpu will trottle.

Totally agree. Have an old Sony Vaio here. New SDD, with new Windows 7 install. Only OS, drivers and Chrome installed on it and the fan is working overtime. Have to keep an external fan running under it to prevent overheating. Have to get round to cleaning the bloody thing out someday. And expanding the cooling vents......time to get the Dremmel working :D

Without the external fan running, the machine grinds to a halt after an hour or so basic browsing. It's amazing what can be done with a fan, a 12v supply and some duct tape. Mcgyver has nothing on me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Trying to remove fan from Vaio laptop. The part holding the CPU needs to be removed. The picture shows that the long narrow part had two screws and two of some other type holding it in. What are the others, where it says "not a screw" How can i remove them
    Can you take a photo of the underside of the motherboard?

IMO, this looks like an aftermarket fix by someone?

=-=

5rtytry56 Fans cost about €15-€25

Got my latest one from http://keyboardsell.com which is a US site, but I'm pretty sure it was shipped from HK. But I'm in Toronto now.

Whilst in Ireland, have gotten fans from adverts. It makes such a difference. Mates Vaio was overheating to the point where it couldn't handle youtube videos. Replaced the fan, and AFAIK, it's still going strong, 3 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FanadMan wrote: »
    Totally agree. Have an old Sony Vaio here. New SDD, with new Windows 7 install. Only OS, drivers and Chrome installed on it and the fan is working overtime.
    IMO, it's either on it's last legs, or you need to get a can of compressed air, open up the laptop, spray the air through the fan to blow out excess dust build-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

the_syco wrote: »
    IMO, it's either on it's last legs, or you need to get a can of compressed air, open up the laptop, spray the air through the fan to blow out excess dust build-up.

Feckit - gonna be stripped out completely soon anyway. Was a faulty machine from a client - they had probs with it for years. Main internal is clean but think fan fins are clogged up. Just need a wee bit of free time to do a proper teardown. Not really worried cos will do for parts....popular model of Vaio.

the_syco wrote: »
    Can you take a photo of the underside of the motherboard?

IMO, this looks like an aftermarket fix by someone?.
    I bought it new and it has not beem opened before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is this the same machine?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sony-vgn-nr-mobo-gm965-chip-set-max-upgrade.472495/

I updated my old Dell from a 1.5Ghz to a T9300 2.5Ghz last year it breathed new life into the machine. I also changed the WiFi Card to WiFi N and a 128GB SSD.

The only weak point is the onboard gfx which can't accelerate browsers. But its plenty fast enough for general use. With the CPU though it can play back 720 & 1080 video no problem. Even if the screen is lower res than that.

Couldn't source a decent CPU for reasonable money. In the end I bought a shabby beaten up old laptop, for like € 40 and took the CPU and Wifi out of that. If I see a WiFi AC card I'll probably get one of those also.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Is this the same machine?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sony-vgn-nr-mobo-gm965-chip-set-max-upgrade.472495/

I updated my old Dell from a 1.5Ghz to a T9300 2.5Ghz last year it breathed new life into the machine. I also changed the WiFi Card to WiFi N and a 128GB SSD.

The only weak point is the onboard gfx which can't accelerate browsers. But its plenty fast enough for general use. With the CPU though it can play back 720 & 1080 video no problem. Even if the screen is lower res than that.

Couldn't source a decent CPU for reasonable money. In the end I bought a shabby beaten up old laptop, for like € 40 and took the CPU and Wifi out of that. If I see a WiFi AC card I'll probably get one of those also.
    no this one http://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Vaio-VGNNR11Z.7460.0.html
    Can someone suggest thermal paste. Are all brands the same?. Also a caddy to use the disk as external in the mean time

Any of the cpu with the green tick will suit? http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/GM965_Express.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

2GB RAM and a 4200 RPM HDD are your problems there. Vista was awful too so perhaps Windows 7 or Linux Mint would be a better path ?
    A faster CPU will run hotter and greatly reduce battery life and increase power requirements.

Me I'd start with the basics - clean the fan and heat vents - add an SSD - more RAM - re-install OS or upgrade/change OS. The laptop is no athlete to begin with.

Also check that none of the USB ports are damaged as this can bring a machine to a snails pace and overheat it.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your laptop is about 10 years old :)

Unless you already have cheap parts or can get them very cheaply, I wouldn't buy a new SSD / memory for it but rather invest in a new / newer laptop.

(and that's coming from me, I have a very similar laptop - about 11 years old - that's running W10 on an SSD and is in daily use)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What unkel said.

If there's something special about a machine, good screen or keyboard you might want to keep it. But this Vaio is a basic machine. Not really worth upgrading.

beauf wrote: »
    What unkel said.

If there's something special about a machine, good screen or keyboard you might want to keep it. But this Vaio is a basic machine. Not really worth upgrading.
    it is special to me

unkel wrote: »
    Your laptop is about 10 years old :)

Unless you already have cheap parts or can get them very cheaply, I wouldn't buy a new SSD / memory for it but rather invest in a new / newer laptop.

(and that's coming from me, I have a very similar laptop - about 11 years old - that's running W10 on an SSD and is in daily use)
    it was 9 last November:) but like it and want to get it work if possible. i already have one retired laptop a compaq and would love to get it to work for the fun as much as anything. i could buy a new one no problem but i likes me vaio

There was very litle dust so far but waiting to get thermal paste before removing fan to see if it is clogged inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you do it yourself you can get more memory and a small SSD for under €100 in total and it will give your beloved Vaio another couple of years of useful, light use, life :)

Do make sure that if you don't want to upgrade Windows Vista, that you do have Vista Servicepack 2 installed plus all the latest security patches and a decent (free) antivirus.

Advertisement