Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Team Jersey Yay or Nay ?

Options
  • 27-01-2017 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Interested to here people thoughts on them. I've just started Road cycling after a few years mountain biking. So was looking around for appropriate Kit and all the pro stuff seems the coolest looking but in the back of my mind I think it could be a bit naff. Is it looked at this way? Or any suggestions for where I should be looking for nice Jerseys.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rivelo Stuff is not bad looking, same for SoLo. They're quite minimalist and can be got from SportsPursuit. Galibier too is very nice if you like the minimalist look.

The DHB Blok stuff is sometimes nice and a bit out there, but sometimes awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Go for it even if it is against rule 17. Wear What You like

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Rule 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#15

Rules 15-18 have some relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

No. #17 is valid. exception is vintage teams, from 90's back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Wearing a team replica jersey is fine. Wearing the jersey, and the shorts, and riding the team bike is not, unless you are actually a member of the team.

I'll second Rivelo though. Understated, quality gear at a good price, if SportPursuit sort themselves out. Their Rivelo stuff has been off discount since before Christmas.

https://eurocyclist.wordpress.com/about/

Some more rules for you to ignore.

Eamonnator wrote:
    Rules 15-18 have some relevance.

That's brilliant

Red and Black are The Correct Colours for cycle wear.

Bloody hell I've broken so many rules already I'm a mess!!! Thanks for those sites just checking them out some very nice jerseys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Interested to here people thoughts on them. I've just started Road cycling after a few years mountain biking. So was looking around for appropriate Kit and all the pro stuff seems the coolest looking but in the back of my mind I think it could be a bit naff. Is it looked at this way? Or any suggestions for where I should be looking for nice Jerseys.
    Thanks

In my limited experience, "proper" jerseys sleeves have a thin/smooth/silicon cuff on the sleeve, every thing else has a sewn/rough cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a few 'pro' jerseys that were given to me as presents including a 2014 TdF yellow jersey complete with a rose emblem to acknowledge the UK Grand Depart.

I wear them and sure why not.

But my favourite is my Nalini jersey in the Carrera colours - proper vinatge stuff.

If you're in any doubt then get yourself a Boards.ie jersey - just because.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I have an long sleeve banesto jersey I bought in the 90's which I still wear

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I have a l/s US Postal jersey that I still wear

albeit only under other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Personally I wouldn't wear current pro stuff. Prendas is a good place for retro gear:

https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/jerseys/retro

My favorites being La Vie Claire and Molteni/Arcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Personally, I don't wear current pro gear. I have my own policy of year old is acceptable - I have last year's etixx for example, and a Garmin one from a few years ago. I prefer the retro / tainted by doping stuff though!

It is a bit mental though - no one would think twice about playing 5 a side in a current football jersey of their favourite team.

Definitely a revenue stream that teams are missing out on for no other reason that fans who supposedly care about the sport have made up! If the UCI banned the sale of replicas/ kit, everyone would go mental. And I know I'm guilty of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Club or plain but, as somebody said, vintage is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For he it's a no no. I wear very plain gear, usually black/red or white (but not white shorts) I also have a few sportive jerseys I wear now and then and two branded Castelli and Nalini jerseys that get wore the most

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... (but not white shorts)...
    Anyone who wears white shorts on a bike should be banned from all cycling related activities for life. Do they not realise that they become 'see through' on a wet day and how unappealing it is to have to face into a hairy arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

On last years Great Dublin Bike ride I passed most of Tinkoff-Saxo"s Z team (the camo gear) on a Singlespeed.

Wear what you want, but feel comfortable doing it.

I'd never wear pro-kit for the same reason I'd never ride a Pinarello, I'd feel silly and unable to live up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I have an An Post Gilet I wear when it's cold. I've even worn it with club kit. I've broken almost all of the rules at some point or another.

OP - something to consider is whether you want a full zip jersey. I find the full zip ones handy, as you can load the pockets up the night before an early ride and throw it on as you leave. Being able to take the jersey on and off fully loaded is also handy for "extended nature breaks" should that occasion arise.

All my favourite jerseys have a decent silicone gripper at the bottom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

In my limited experience, "proper" jerseys sleeves have a thin/smooth/silicon cuff on the sleeve, every thing else has a sewn/rough cuff.

I don't have many jerseys but I do have one like this, it's a Movistar from 2015 I think, made by Endura, good material in it

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I don't have many jerseys but I do have one like this, it's a Movistar from 2015 I think, made by Endura, good material in it

This is another thing. Sometimes older team kits present an opportunity to get bargains on high end roadie gear.

E.g. the current Rapha Sky sale on Sports Pursuit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The nicest jersey I have, and I wore it most of the summer was the one our Crew got from Velorevolution. I think it's a variant of the following
    https://velorevolution.selz.com/item/5721d7716edca00ac8e39378

It's bate onto me (Size S) but feels the biz, especially the sleeves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Personally nay. But I've a heap of Castelli, Capo etc jerseys. All bought on sale, couldn't be bothered with pro gear. I'm not very picky about jerseys though, I'm really picky about shorts.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I have a maillot jaune and Kwiatowski's rainbow jersey that I wear when I go out cycling.
    I am also in the bottom half of most strava segments.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This popped up in a facebook ad, apparently based in donegal. Never heard of them before and a bit pricey, but the jersey is gorgeous

http://www.tadaias.cc/product-page/5bd9b026-4456-b933-135a-4947bd00aaa6

That's really nice it does look a bit like the Sky Jersey .
    For the record the Pro Jerseys I do like are
    Lotto Jumbo NL ( I holiday in Holland so see it alot there)
    Orica Scott ( this is the team I follow )
    Aqua Blue Sport ( New Irish team it is a beauty)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I like the Aqua Blue kit.

Have a few of the bright tinkoff jerseys and a winter cannondale jersey that I wear time to time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

retalivity wrote: »
    This popped up in a facebook ad, apparently based in donegal. Never heard of them before and a bit pricey, but the jersey is gorgeous

http://www.tadaias.cc/product-page/5bd9b026-4456-b933-135a-4947bd00aaa6

Short Sliabh or long Sliabh?

Advertisement