Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Team Jersey Yay or Nay ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

My criteria? A race fit is not necessarily for racing but an indicator of more slimline cuts for aerodynamic reasons. Aero assists all, so I don't see an issue with it. You're confusing points of aerodynamics with those of aesthetics.

It really just comes down to class. As in fashionable class, not societal. In my opinion, wearing an item of clothing which blares an organisations name is an attempt by the wearer to associate themselves with the values and achievements of said organisation, an attempt to claim part ownership of an achievement or to claim the organisation's values as their own.

So, you want to associate yourself with the high life, you wear Tommy Hilger or Ralph gear. But not the understated clothing, as it's actually expensive, you wear the version with the emblazoned logos and garish colours so everyone knows you're wearing said "expensive" gear and living the high life. It's like wearing a t-shirt declaring "I am a desperate aspirational".

In terms of sport, and soccer particularly, which has the added bonus of allowing yourself to adorn yourself with a particular player's name, wearing a team jersey claims not only that you support a team. It is also a declaration of your part in whatever successes or otherwise they have achieved. That strange regaling in work on a Monday of how "we hammered Aston Villa", when in fact you were sitting on your hole 200 miles away watching on the TV is connected in the same way. "We" did it. This shared celebration is for many the lazy man's confirmation of worth and thankfully the idea of celebrating a Quick Step win as "our" win has not been leaked into cycling by the soccer/fair weather cycling fan.

Although wearing the kit of defunct team is acceptable as a declaration of a long-term support for not only a team but more as support for the sport of cycling, the wearing of contemporary team kit is fundamentally more than a simple "I like this team", it is as, I said above, both lame aspirationalism and fickle bandwagon hopping.

Cycling, to me, is about the feats of the individual over the group and the possibilities each of us has to become that individual. To project the abilities or persona of another, or to claim their victories, especially the winners' jerseys, is against the very nature of what we do on the bike and should be treated as anathema.

Probably the best written post ...
    but, by god so condescending . You are using so many big words that the point (if there is one) is lost amongst your prose.
    I fell asleep before the end , but anyhow ....
    wear what you want, and fc uk the bike snobs ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Funny how I was trying for clarity and made sure to state that it was my opinion, therefore not fact, and you found it condescending.

The best people in cycling... I know them and believe me... I know this, y'know, they don't wear team kits, y'know. But the guys who do wear team kits... and I'm. It one of them, but I've been told... and these are good sources... the best sources... sometimes when I meet with intelligence they tell me the same thing... cos it's important right... the guys who wear team kits... and I'm not being mean... I'm not lying... these are facts... they have no sense of taste. None. Honestly... that's what I heard. But I... I will make full team kits a sin... And I talked to the Pope... great guy... I met him in the Vatican Town... not interested in boobs... which is kinda boring but I understand y'know... but when I mention these guys and the full team kits... he's like... y'know... he says "Donald", cos we're like friends and stuff... he says, "Donald, you are correct and we will make it one of the 9 deadly sins"... I mean it. Seriously... that's what he said... and I'm not lying... we will end full kit wankerdom and make cycling... GREAT ... AGAIN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Funny how I was trying for clarity and made sure to state that it was my opinion, therefore not fact, and you found it condescending.

The best people in cycling... I know them and believe me... I know this, y'know, they don't wear team kits, y'know. But the guys who do wear team kits... and I'm. It one of them, but I've been told... and these are good sources... the best sources... sometimes when I meet with intelligence they tell me the same thing... cos it's important right... the guys who wear team kits... and I'm not being mean... I'm not lying... these are facts... they have no sense of taste. None. Honestly... that's what I heard. But I... I will make full team kits a sin... And I talked to the Pope... great guy... I met him in the Vatican Town... not interested in boobs... which is kinda boring but I understand y'know... but when I mention these guys and the full team kits... he's like... y'know... he says "Donald", cos we're like friends and stuff... he says, "Donald, you are correct and we will make it one of the 9 deadly sins"... I mean it. Seriously... that's what he said... and I'm not lying... we will end full kit wankerdom and make cycling... GREAT ... AGAIN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You failed trying to be intelligent , but succeeded being fairly ridiculous ...
    now log off please , there's a village looking for you .... :cool:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Pro fcuking jerseys! How about pro bikes!

In last 3 weeks I've seen on Sunday spins in the crappiest of Irish weather on horrible roads
    * a 8k specialized with electronic dura ace and zipp wheels (it's my winter bike he said, he wasn't lying)
    * a cervelo s something or other with dura ace and Reynolds wheels

I'm pretty certain I was more upset by the rim wear and general abuse of the bikes than they were; in fact I'm sure they were oblivious.

Both of them were slower than me fasted in my cobbled together $500 steel bike, but I'm sure they were enjoying it just as much as me so what harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had to lookup the meaning of "anathema"

I don't think it's a word I'd ever use or want to.
    I'm surprised to hear that considering where you're from! :P

When I was growing up, it was used consistently in the media during discussions about the 'Troubles'.

LOL :D but I'm disappointed you didn't get 'The Wall' in there somewhere considering how so many suffer on it!

greenspurs wrote: »
    You failed trying to be intelligent , but succeeded being fairly ridiculous ...
    now log off please , there's a village looking for you .... :cool:

I'd take a post questioning my intelligence seriously if it displayed the basic rules of punctuation and grammar correctly.

I presume you're implying that I'm the village idiot?

LOL :D but I'm disappointed you didn't get 'The Wall' in there somewhere considering how so many suffer on it!

I didn't really put much thought into it tbh.

• Advertisement

The Badger is not impressed:
    When I see pot-bellied cyclists wearing the 'maillot jaune,' it appalls me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Here is my opinion for the 0.5c its worth.
    Join a club.
    Wear their kit and give the advertising to the business/sponsors who put the money in.
    Be a local 'pro'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I've a Ras pts jersey I wear a lot, I have a right to wear it, I won it.................................................In a twitter giveaway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

koutoubia wrote: »
    Here is my opinion for the 0.5c its worth.
    Join a club.
    Wear their kit and give the advertising to the business/sponsors who put the money in.
    Be a local 'pro'!

Some of us can't even live up to club gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

ford2600 wrote: »
    Pro fcuking jerseys! How about pro bikes!

In last 3 weeks I've seen on Sunday spins in the crappiest of Irish weather on horrible roads
    * a 8k specialized with electronic dura ace and zipp wheels (it's my winter bike he said, he wasn't lying)
    * a cervelo s something or other with dura ace and Reynolds wheels

I'm pretty certain I was more upset by the rim wear and general abuse of the bikes than they were; in fact I'm sure they were oblivious.

Both of them were slower than me fasted in my cobbled together $500 steel bike, but I'm sure they were enjoying it just as much as me so what harm?

It shouldnt, but that **** does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Why is there so much inverted snobbery about wearing pro kit

Reminds me of when a teenager and you were deemed uncool for liking main stream pop music

Surely the coolest way is to support anyone's choice to waer whatever they want ...if its Rapha or a gansey their nan knit...and ride any bike they want

Gosh some people on here are guilty of what they accuse others of .(thinking what you wear matters or makes some sort of statement about you ) ...and the funniest thing is they can't even see it in themselves

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Why is there so much inverted snobbery about wearing pro kit

Reminds me of when a teenager and you were deemed uncool for liking main stream pop music

Surely the coolest way is to support anyone's choice to waer whatever they want ...if its Rapha or a gansey their nan knit...and ride any bike they want

Gosh some people on here are guilty of what they accuse others of .(thinking what you wear matters or makes some sort of statement about you ) ...and the funniest thing is they can't even see it in themselves

Considering the cost of team kit, I feel your accusation of inverted snobbery is erroneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

People wear pro team (replica) kit for many reasons. Sometimes thought goes into it, sometimes it doesn't.

As an example of the latter, in my skint student days snd even my skint employed days I mostly bought stuff from the bargain bins of the local bike shop. It was usually cheap because the kit was a replica of the kit of defunct or now unpopular pro teams. I knew the "etiquette" as much as anyone else, which basically boils down to "don't get above yourself, conform to this arbitrary set of rules or don't expect to belong", and I was conscious of the disapproving looks from some other cyclists but I preferred riding in comfort without approval, to the alternative.

So you wear a polka dot jersey, for example, and some people will presume to think you believe yourself to be a fantastic climber. And they'll give themselves a hernia if needed to prove you wrong. Which says more about them than you, and what it says is not good.

For some reason, riding a pro team bike (not even a replica, but basically the very same model the pros are riding today) typically doesn't induce the same animosity, I've no idea why. Go to any amateur Irish race and you'll find as many such bikes out the back of the race as at the front of it. Nobody bats an eyelid, and why should they, but the slightest hint of a recognisable jersey and lips get pursed and ready for some serious tutting. It's all very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Thanks everyone I have found the debate so far fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

doozerie wrote: »
    Go to any amateur Irish race and you'll find as many such bikes out the back of the race as at the front of it. Nobody bats an eyelid, and why should they, but the slightest hint of a recognisable jersey and lips get pursed and ready for some serious tutting. It's all very odd.
    Only club jersies or the jersey of a pro team with which you are registered are allowed to be worn in races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Only club jersies or the jersey of a pro team with which you are registered are allowed to be worn in races.

I know. I mentioned races simply because it's a setting where everyone pits themselves against everyone else but whether you are riding one of the top ranked bikes in the world, or a rusty gate, is largely ignored.

By contrast, put people in the (supposedly) non competitive setting of a "casual" ride and every item of each others' clothing (but less so the bike) is picked over in great detail.

We're basically a bunch of gossipy old biddies in lycra. ...ick, there's an image to leave on, I may not sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

wear what ever the fcuk you feel like, as posted already, once have gotten your leg over and are out on the road, that is all that matters. Should I see another body decked out in all the kit of some team I wont go faster/slower, feel inadequate for wearing what ever I am in.

On the right is the suit version of the conscientious road cyclist, on the left is the "I wanna look like I know what I'm doing but don't" cyclist.

350x700px-LL-815b3cd1_what-a-difference-a-tailored-suit-makes.jpeg

Handbags y'all.

Mountain bikers be like

film-the_big_lebowski-1998-the_dude-jeff_bridges-bottoms-pj_pants.jpg

very good.
    As I stated in my OP I have been MTBiking for a while now and a pair of shorts and a t shirt is fine. after reading this Thread I see there are a couple of different types of riders on the road (in fairness it is probably the same in MTB but I never really noticed or cared).
    Type 1. - Doesn't matter what you wear or ride its all about getting out for a ride- damn the be grudgers
    Type 2- this is a sport where we expect a certain amount of Decorum- keep it tasteful fella
    Type 3. do not come into my sport without reading the rules of the sport that we made up and thinking you can wear a sponsored branded cycling jersey ... cycling .- how dare you.
    I'm kidding.
    I have enjoyed the different takes on this . I think I will stick to some of the Plain gear on the sites some on here have provided (and its pretty nice too).
    so thanks

Some of the DHB designs are super nice and keenly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Two comments

1 - I was given a replica TDF yellow jersey by Credit Lyonnais about fifteen years ago. It's a great jersey but I only ever wear it under something. I was later given a replica young riders jersey which I wear a good bit on the basis I'm thirty years past young rider status. I'm not quite sure what that says about me!

2 - If I arrive home with any more jerseys, I'll be shot. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

1 - I was given a replica TDF yellow jersey by Credit Lyonnais about fifteen years ago. It's a great jersey but I only ever wear it under something. I was later given a replica young riders jersey which I wear a good bit on the basis I'm thirty years past young rider status. I'm not quite sure what that says about me!

I think it says you have a sense of humour, but I'll leave that to the serious cyclists to decide :)

Alot of people on here with alot of jerseys so what is your favourite?
    ( feel free to ignore )

Check out @kithunters on Instagram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Alot of people on here with alot of jerseys so what is your favourite?
    ( feel free to ignore )

Like my club and Boards jerseys but this is probably my favourite:

2qulrnl.jpg

I know it's a team jersey and breaks Rule 17 but I just like the look of it. Besides, it must be heading for the retro category any decade now.

Advertisement