Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with Dublin City Centre?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

yes, you've found me out, I'm not very good at this internet mullarkey am I?

This looks nice, I wonder when they plan to have it in place, if it even goes ahead?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water-jets-benches-and-cycle-paths-plans-for-college-green-revealed-35691436.html

Looks beautiful, they've kind of gone half way there at the moment haven't they with only buses being allowed drive around it?

Be hard to see how they'd divert all the buses though.

I'd love to see more concentration on O'Connell Street. The south side of the city already has plenty of lovely places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Comments on the article are depressing, just goes to show how the level of vagrancy is bringing down the morale & hope of the city that even good plans like this are treated as pointless

Well ever since I was a kid anything that was organised in Dublin was always looked at in a "but scumbags will ruin it" way. Even things like "Beat on the street" in the 90s, I remember going in with a couple of friends and getting a hiding off some knackers that showed up, for no apparent reason.
    When you see some of the stuff that goes on in town, the boardwalk being a prime example, it's no wonder people are so negative in their attitudes towards plans like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Well ever since I was a kid anything that was organised in Dublin was always looked at in a "but scumbags will ruin it" way. Even things like "Beat on the street" in the 90s, I remember going in with a couple of friends and getting a hiding off some knackers that showed up, for no apparent reason.
    When you see some of the stuff that goes on in town, the boardwalk being a prime example, it's no wonder people are so negative in their attitudes towards plans like this.

I know and I agree. It is time for action though to reclaim the city before it is lost.

What we need is a constant Garda presence on the streets.

People warned me before going to New York alone not to walk around certain areas late at night, ridiculous! You honestly couldn't walk ten minutes without seeing a policeman, never felt as safe in all my life. And that includes in Central Park.

Garda just don't seem to want to walk the beat anymore. It's extremely important to maintain a civilised society and the more they are seen out and about the less of the anti-social crap goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The board walk and this new civic space are wonderful ideas, and should be an asset in any city.

Going back to a previous point, these areas only work for the public if they are properly policed , and kept clean and there is a deterrent for ne'er do wells to use these public areas for a base.

• Advertisement

It doesn't even make sense. There are junkies and drug dealing on the boardwalk, an amenity that was built to be enjoyed by our decent citizens, yet the Garda just do absolutely nothing about it. Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It doesn't even make sense. There are junkies and drug dealing on the boardwalk, an amenity that was built to be enjoyed by our decent citizens, yet the Garda just do absolutely nothing about it. Why not?

There was a documentary on them not too long ago. Clearly displayed how Dublin North Central would chase them as far as the liffey then just stop, they were then Dublin South Centrals problem so they wouldnt pursue. The junkies residing on the Boardwalk says DSC is winning the tug of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

1. Northside is totally neglected.
    2. Southside is lovely
    3. There is no Garda presence on the streets. Bad optics for a capital city.
    4. Litter endemic
    5. Drug treatment centres are all over the city.
    6. The place is rammed with people. Try crossing O'Connell Bridge. But I'm sure that will all be sorted once the Plaza and the Luas are fixed.

I laughed the other day. The Merchant's Quay drug centre opposite the four courts. It was manic with fights and so on. There was a bus stop right outside.

So, they moved the bus stop. Easy solution, but not looking at the big picture at all.

Anywhere south of the Liffey is grand. North not so good. Open dealing of drugs and cigarettes and what not. grimey, neglected and so on. Southside, not so bad at all. (some drug centres there as in Merchants, but overall not too bad).

Why is this? Maybe the City Manager should be made to live on the Northside for a year (inner city) as part of his/her contract. I bet things would change soon then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

How did the authorities transform Manhattan from the seedy dangerous dump that it was in the 70s/80s ?

The pimps / whores / dealers were basically run out of town

Dublin needs a similar plan - Zero tolerance policing I think they called it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

How did the authorities transform Manhattan from the seedy dangerous dump that it was in the 70s/80s ?

The pimps / whores / dealers were basically run out of town

Dublin needs a similar plan - Zero tolerance policing I think they called it

Good luck with that, more worried about flags that are flying over the council building than with anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

yes, you've found me out, I'm not very good at this internet mullarkey am I?

This looks nice, I wonder when they plan to have it in place, if it even goes ahead?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water-jets-benches-and-cycle-paths-plans-for-college-green-revealed-35691436.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/businesses-fear-10m-civic-plaza-plan-could-be-a-traffic-nightmare-35693989.html

I think feck the business folk, we need this plaza, take the traffic out of college green

If anything greater footfall is better for business. If people are driving past in their car they are not stopping to buy something.

Plazas in Europe are always buzzing and a gathering point.

I would say the vast majority or shoppers would just get a couple items while browsing i.e walking by. Rather than drive in, deal with a nightmare of traffic and one way street and pay and arm and a leg for parking. I am guessing most of the local businesses complaining are carparks.

I am sure people said the same thing when they pedestrianised Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

1. Northside is totally neglected.

Neglected and underutilized, particularly around the Capel Street/Liffey Street area, which is probably the most diverse and interesting area of the inner city north side area. The likes of the road by Lotts bar, and the road connecting Capel Street with Liffey Street with Pantibar at the corner. There are very little amenities in these areas, bar the odd place like Tengu. If they were developed a bit more it would do great things for the city.

Capel st is the only street I like on the Northside. It's kept its character and apart from one or two Londis and Spars I'm pretty sure most of the shops are independent, and it has some good asian restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Capel st is the only street I like on the Northside. It's kept its character and apart from one or two Londis and Spars I'm pretty sure most of the shops are independent, and it has some good asian restaurants.

Yeah, Arisu, Musashi and some of the other restaurants are great. And there are some good pubs off it up further like the Hacienda. But take a left at Pantibar and there's practically nothing in what should be a prime city centre location. Surely a few pop up cafes or portable food vendors could set up shop there.

But take a left at Pantibar

No thanks I might slip on something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

If anything greater footfall is better for business. If people are driving past in their car they are not stopping to buy something.

Plazas in Europe are always buzzing and a gathering point.

I would say the vast majority or shoppers would just get a couple items while browsing i.e walking by. Rather than drive in, deal with a nightmare of traffic and one way street and pay and arm and a leg for parking. I am guessing most of the local businesses complaining are carparks.

I am sure people said the same thing when they pedestrianised Grafton Street.

I'm 26 and have no memory of Grafton street not being pedestrianised. I couldn't imagine it being any other way.

I would love a plaza at college green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I like Capel Street what other street in Dublin or any other city could you can buy a kayak and a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I like Capel Street what other street in Dublin or any other city could you buy a kayak and a kebab.
    Strand Street in Skerries. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Special case - there either is or was one of the back streets in Dun Laoghaire that definitely had a chipper and a marine shop on it also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

No thanks I might slip on something

Ironically it is easy one of the cleanest bars in Dublin. Unlike most bars in Dublin, Pantibar has been cleaned this side of 1984.

It is one of the few independent bars set up in recent years. Nearly every new bar is part of a generic chain. Where they all serve food and the same craft beers

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thought the only businesses allowed in Skerries were Pharmacies....

I'm 26 and have no memory of Grafton street not being pedestrianised. I couldn't imagine it being any other way.

I would love a plaza at college green

Yeah it was the early 80s, when it was done between certain hours and late 80s when they repaved it. Previously there was tiny footpaths on either side and cars and buses driving through a road in the middle

Same objections from local businesses at the time saying it would encourage petty crime and antisocial behaviour...

Yeah it was the early 80s, when it was done between certain hours and late 80s when they repaved it. Previously there was tiny footpaths on either side and cars and buses driving through a road in the middle

Same objections from local businesses at the time saying it would encourage petty crime and antisocial behaviour...

And now it's about the best street in Dublin to walk on.

Grafton st paving is kind of manky looking up at the Stephen's Green end anyway, I'm around there nearly every day. Covered in chewing gum and just a really dirty grey.
    If you've ever been in any French cities, Montpellier comes to mind, I don't know how they do it but some of the streets have this beautiful marbley type surface that look like you could eat your dinner off them. I wonder how they keep them so clean.

I know in Spain they have street cleaning crews that have tools to remove the chewing gum, like a metal scraper on a pole that works well on the smooth (marble type) surface and clean them very early morning or late at night.

I know the smooth surface does not do well in rain though and the few times it did rain when I lived there made the footpath quite slippy.

Dublin could do with more bins and street cleaning crews with pressure hoses, and litter wardens.

I know in Spain they have street cleaning crews that have tools to remove the chewing gum, like a metal scraper on a pole that works well on the smooth (marble type) surface and clean them very early morning or late at night.

I know the smooth surface does not do well in rain though and the few times it did rain when I lived there made the footpath quite slippy.

Dublin could do with more bins and street cleaning crews with pressure hoses, and litter wardens.

True, the marble surfaces whilst great to look at are lethal when wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

In dubai I seen them with a sort of power hose thing they put over the gum and it vanishes. Tourists were even recording it (Americans of course) I never seen it in use here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

pilly wrote: »
    True, the marble surfaces whilst great to look at are lethal when wet.

I could only imagine the amount of claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I was waiting for someone on Westmoreland Street today and jesus christ, it was manky. Giant piles of bin bags at two seperate spots, litter everywhere, particularly take away food cartons were everywhere, chewing gum on the floor. And its not that far from temple bar really, which isn't that dirty.

Advertisement