Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with Dublin City Centre?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I was waiting for someone on Westmoreland Street today and jesus christ, it was manky. Giant piles of bin bags at two seperate spots, litter everywhere, particularly take away food cartons were everywhere, chewing gum on the floor. And its not that far from temple bar really, which isn't that dirty.

Maybe when these Luas works are completed they will be a bit more considerate in keeping the street nice and presentable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

How come the streets of Dublin doesn't have all this litter "everywhere" that people on boards.ie see on Google Street View?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

MarkY91 wrote: »
    In dubai I seen them with a sort of power hose thing they put over the gum and it vanishes. Tourists were even recording it (Americans of course) I never seen it in use here.

I've seen it being done on town several times by a company called P-Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Leeson St covered in Gardaí this morning, couple of street cleaning machines going around too. Is there something going on? Prince Charles perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I noticed the bin bag issue on Wednesday around the city centre also. Looks like a few bags were taken out and bin liners replaced but the full bin bags were not picked up that night or morning, so they were left out and animals got at them and rubbish was strewn around.

Not sure what happened but seems like someone just dropped the ball bin collections wise during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

mailforkev wrote: »
    Leeson St covered in Gardaí this morning, couple of street cleaning machines going around too. Is there something going on? Prince Charles perhaps?

Camilla is visiting the Rape Crisis Centre on lower Leeson St.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I like Capel Street what other street in Dublin or any other city could you can buy a kayak and a kebab.

...and a dildo and a power drill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I was waiting for someone on Westmoreland Street today and jesus christ, it was manky. Giant piles of bin bags at two seperate spots, litter everywhere, particularly take away food cartons were everywhere, chewing gum on the floor. And its not that far from temple bar really, which isn't that dirty.

Bins are collected in the City ridiculously late. I have seen bin collections at 1.30am which is against DCC bylaws. It would make sense if bins were put out an hour before collection, rather than them sitting on the street until 1.30am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

2 junkies just got on dart at Connolly, both smoking cigs. I'll have to change carriage at clontarf now. It's the only place I've ever been where people smoke on public transport. Admittedly it used to be a lot worse but never encountered it anywhere else. Tonnes of tourists going to howth here too. Sigh.

Bins are collected in the City ridiculously late. I have seen bin collections at 1.30am which is against DCC bylaws. It would make sense if bins were put out an hour before collection, rather than them sitting on the street until 1.30am

Is that ridiculously late or ridiculously early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is that ridiculously late or ridiculously early?

Well thats probably a good time, but the bins shouldn't be left out on the street for 12 hours plus till they get picked up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

2 junkies just got on dart at Connolly, both smoking cigs. I'll have to change carriage at clontarf now. It's the only place I've ever been where people smoke on public transport. Admittedly it used to be a lot worse but never encountered it anywhere else. Tonnes of tourists going to howth here too. Sigh.

Why not tell them to put them out? I always do and they always comply.

sabat wrote: »
    Why not tell them to put them out? I always do and they always comply.

well, one of them had a massive scar on his face, they both looked totally dodgy as, I'd say both of them have been in and out of the nick so I wasn't going to spoil my afternoon by having a row with a couple of low lifes thanks!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-beaten-with-hammer-after-challenging-woman-for-being-too-noisy-on-a-dublin-bus-34627989.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-headbutted-kicked-and-punched-man-and-woman-on-dublin-bus-in-row-over-a-seat-court-told-31596922.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/he-hit-me-in-the-face-so-many-times-woman-attacked-on-bus-speaks-out-on-ordeal-30490105.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Witnessed a woman being robbed of her Raybans at the bus stop on Blackhall Place this evening just after 7pm, chap on a bike... **** thing is, not a person seemed to help (I was on a bus unfortunately).

Potentially a "spotter" at the bus stop, be careful ladies and gents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭goochy

was she foreign ? what did he do just grab off her face ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Stumbled across this quote from 103 years ago:
    ‘In no city in these islands with which I am acquainted have the children such a freedom, I might say such possession of the streets, as Dublin. Many thousand little ones throng among the thoroughfares, under no control, running moral and physical risks; ill-clad, ill-fed, ill-taught, undisciplined, how can they become useful citizens, or fathers and mothers of healthy children, serviceable to State and race?’

http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/037-catherine-street

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Witnessed a woman being robbed of her Raybans at the bus stop on Blackhall Place this evening just after 7pm, chap on a bike... **** thing is, not a person seemed to help (I was on a bus unfortunately).

Potentially a "spotter" at the bus stop, be careful ladies and gents.

To be fair, not worth risking your life for a pair of sunglasses, Raybans or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

goochy wrote: »
    was she foreign ? what did he do just grab off her face ?

Hardly makes a difference... but no she was not foreign. Think so, I just seen the aftermath..
    pilly wrote: »
    To be fair, not worth risking your life for a pair of sunglasses, Raybans or not.

True. More a word of warning as something tells me it isn't an isolated incident at that stop with it being so handy to fly away down Wood Lane onto Benburb ST (which I think is what he done).

Hardly makes a difference... but no she was not foreign. Think so, I just seen the aftermath..

True. More a word of warning as something tells me it isn't an isolated incident at that stop with it being so handy to fly away down Wood Lane onto Benburb ST (which I think is what he done).

My daughter has had eggs thrown at her at that stop so nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

Stephens Green shopping centre charge 20 cent to use
    the "Lavatory" with two members of staff manning
    the collection desk...... couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Dude89 wrote: »

Most public toilets on the continet charge for the privilege. The biggest joke in my opinion is the charge in Dun Laoghaire shopping centre with no one manning it ever.

Dude89 wrote:
    Stephens Green shopping centre charge 20 cent to use the "Lavatory" with two members of staff manning the collection desk...... couldn't make it up.

In Cork city there is not one public toilet that you don't have to pay. I was amazed at that when I moved down. Very annoying when you've no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Dude89 wrote: »

2? There is hardly ever even 1 person. They're always off cleaning or whatever. I rarely have to pay when using their toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Dude89 wrote:
    Stephens Green shopping centre charge 20 cent to use the "Lavatory" with two members of staff manning the collection desk...... couldn't make it up.

All public loos should be €1...should be well maintained with that level of income..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I have absolutely no issue with paying for a public toilet if they are being cleaned and maintained.

Most places in Europe have a similar set up, with clean toilets that are mopped and cleaned regularly throughout the day by a person on staff. It also acts as a deterrent to junkies and the like using them.

I have absolutely no issue with paying for a public toilet if they are being cleaned and maintained.

Most places in Europe have a similar set up, with clean toilets that are mopped and cleaned regularly throughout the day by a person on staff. It also acts as a deterrent to junkies and the like using them.

Yeah but what if you're caught short. Literally. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah but what if you're caught short. Literally. :pac:

Personally I think its a little stupid not carrying change with you. You never know when you may need it.

Advertisement