Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with Dublin City Centre?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I really wish they'd put in decent infrastructure for cyclists. It's crazy cycling in town now, a free for all ffs. With the amount of people on bikes they really need to invest in it. We have great weather for cycling and it's not a very hilly city so I don't know why we're not seeing it as the way forward, like in Holland and Denmark. I've had a few close shaves lately, it's only getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I've always tried to see the best in town, but like. It's just awful at the moment, worst than its been before right? It's filthy for one. The endless road works and construction going on doesn't help the look, or the traffic. And the amount of 'anti social elements' seems to have increased recently, aggresive junkies being loud, starting fights. I was waiting at the bus stop opposite Connolly Station by the welfare office or whatever that is today, group of junkies were having a go at each other by shoving each and taking up the pavement, then as one group moved away they chucked two beer cans at the other groups, and walked away shouting.

I dunno, thoughts?

I made similar observations in another recent thread...and was told to butt out, that my negative opinions were not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I made similar observations in another recent thread...and was told to butt out, that my negative opinions were not welcome.

Yes, some posters get really angry if you say anything negative about Dublin. It's hard to have a balanced discussion about it.

cactusgal wrote: »
    Yes, some posters get really angry if you say anything negative about Dublin. It's hard to have a balanced discussion about it.

Try being a cyclist. Public enemy no 1 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I am! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm not debating there's worst cities than Dublin. I have seen a lot of capital and or large cities in fact, spent a lot of time in London, New York, Washington, Paris, Belfast, Berlin, born and raised in Liverpool, etc. Dublin just seems to have paticularly concentrated from my perspective. I've never had hassle from junkies in any of those cities like I've had in Dublin from time ti time in the past 8 years. They also mysteriously disappeared during the celebrations for the rising last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PeadarK

There is nothing scarier than cycling through town!

PeadarK wrote: »
    There is nothing scarier than cycling through town!

Well there is. It's ok if you keep your wits about you but it's not exactly pleasant, which a bicycle ride should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 artemis268

I'm not debating there's worst cities than Dublin. I have seen a lot of capital and or large cities in fact, spent a lot of time in London, New York, Washington, Paris, Belfast, Berlin, born and raised in Liverpool, etc. Dublin just seems to have paticularly concentrated from my perspective. I've never had hassle from junkies in any of those cities like I've had in Dublin from time ti time in the past 8 years. They also mysteriously disappeared during the celebrations for the rising last year.

I agree. I grew up in Australia and never really seen much antisocial behavior and criminal activity till I've arrived in Dublin. I've reached a point from these past 7 years being here where I'm just totally unfazed about anything I see here.

To give a constructive opinion, i'd say the problem is in the police and lack of funds.

Firstly, Police or garda here are nationalized, compared to other countries where the police is run by a centralized elected mayor of the city (as Dublin doesn't even have a mayor, just a ceremonial one). This means they aren't as pressured by the mayor or the electorate to solve petty crime and improve the crime stats in the immediate area.

Secondly, funds. Police here are just overstretched as it is.

Thirdly, probably culturally ingrained due to bad memories from a previous imperial regime oppression but the police and the rule of law here just don't get as much respect as they should. Antisocial behavior and littering are pretty rampant as a result.

Fourthly, unrelated to the police but I'd say the social housing is so concentrated in one area plays a factor.

Finally, The economy here isn't doing so great and fundings are needed in a lot of areas here. This again drives the inner city poverty and disillusionment around here.

All being said, this place is way better than Eastern Europe and there is still hope for the future yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some serious changes I would make is the shambles of Georges st to rathmines as its too narrow and cyclists are using it 24 hours but yet double parking and park anywhere is allowed once it hits 7pm.
    Westland roe is a street which needs barriers on both sides as people hear or see a train and just run or step of the path fcuk anything like a car or bus that would be beside them.

As above better cycle lanes and just a better traffic management system.

Lights should favour public transport and better speed of getting in and out should be priority for same.

Zero tolerance on anti social behaviour and stop the begging epidemic and I mean especially the professional scammer ones.

Have a better Garda presence as what is about is a no show.

Need more on their feet and push bike patrols as cars I see pass most of the absolutel sh1t going on.

Clean up O'Connell street and get it into a proper nice place to be.
    Put on events and family friendly ones also.

Try and attract more tourists and give a little to get even more in spending and so on.

From what I see in a lot of cases the centre is quite run down and just not appealing.
    Obviously there are nice spots and hopefully the Luas works will end and look well.

Its just sad we didn't keep the original trams in place even just for tourism as they would have been a great asset to have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

I've lived in Canada, France, Spain, NZ, Australia, and the UK and never saw anything remotely close to how bad the junkie and begging situation is in Dublin city. It doesn't bother me that much personally, but people saying it's like that everywhere are 100% wrong.

I don't understand the begging thing and the Garda - is it not illegal? I work near Grafton St for nearly 3 years now and it's the exact same beggers in the area, in the same spot, every day.

You've not visited the downtown eastside in Vancouver, or Barcelona on your travels then? Dublin's addiction problem doesn't scratch the surface to the misery of that particular section of Vancouver with people camped on the streets in tents, open drug dealing/taking, violence and prostitution plain as day 24/7, and I've never felt more preyed upon by pickpockets and scam artists than in Barcelona.

Begging in a non intimidating way isn't illegal, and if someone is begging near an ATM etc all the guards can do is move them on. If they don't move they can be fined if the guard would be bothered going to the trouble, but they all generally move on in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,251 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The fact that it's 100 years old is significant. It was built by Vikings who gave no thought to bus lanes and luas tracks. It's a bit of a nightmare to build on a city that was built haphazardly.

1000 years old. Duh.

artemis268 wrote: »
    I agree. I grew up in Australia and never really seen much antisocial behavior and criminal activity till I've arrived in Dublin. I've reached a point from these past 7 years being here where I'm just totally unfazed about anything I see here.

I knew a guy who was murdered in Australia decades ago....by a junkie no less...no shortage of criminal activity in Aus...I think they have gangland drug wars in some of the major cities.

But the issue in Dublin is, as many others have said, that it's tolerated in the city centre, in the CBD, in areas that might be considered tourist areas. I haven't encountered that anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I reckon Dublin could nearly take a leaf out of Naples's book. While it isint spotless now it's a hell of a lot better than it was 10 years and the place hasn't lost any of its original character. Tourism is doing really well and the mafia is currently in decline there is a huge police and military presence on the streets which me worder if the guards were armed would junkies fear them a bit more and help us tare our streets back . I remember coming is incident where a man robbed a women's purse and when said she goingredients to call the Carabinieri he gave back fairly pronto.

You've not visited the downtown eastside in Vancouver, or Barcelona on your travels then?

I have, I stayed in a hostel in the Downtown Eastside in 2001. It's a total kip yeah full of junkies. But it's a section of a huge city. It's not the historical and tourist centre. I have heard of scam artists and pickpockets in Barcelona but never encountered any myself, I've been there loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You've not visited the downtown eastside in Vancouver, or Barcelona on your travels then? Dublin's addiction problem doesn't scratch the surface to the misery of that particular section of Vancouver with people camped on the streets in tents, open drug dealing/taking, violence and prostitution plain as day 24/7, and I've never felt more preyed upon by pickpockets and scam artists than in Barcelona.

Begging in a non intimidating way isn't illegal, and if someone is begging near an ATM etc all the guards can do is move them on. If they don't move they can be fined if the guard would be bothered going to the trouble, but they all generally move on in my experience.

Go in behind clearys camped out there lanes in sh1te loads of places they don't only camp out in city but it suits them as they drink, shoot up and puke then piss and Sh1t anywhere and everywhere.

Roma are all over the place and not only the city they branch out use transport and hit areas checking houses and cold call begging also.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Tourism is doing really well and the mafia is currently in decline there is a huge police and military presence on the streets which me worder if the guards were armed would junkies fear them a bit more and help us tare our streets back.

Junkies, from what I can see, just seem to sell each other prescription drugs and trade methadone and small amounts of heroin. That's not going to go away if the Garda have guns. What are they going to do, shoot anyone who looks like a junkie? It's probably down to the services for junkie treatment being in the centre, and probably just the centre is traditionally where junkies go to do their business, and a lot of the junkies are from the inner city, where heroin is rife.
    The fact that the city centre is full of social housing, where people are more likely prone to use heroin, is also a major factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Grafton St looks extremely well since so much of it has been redeveloped. The likes of Dame St, Molesworth St are being heavily redeveloped and will look great in a year or two. Dorset St is improving. Capel St looks incredible versus 10 years ago. Its a pity Moore St looks like something from Angela's Ashes, but a redevelopment is on the cards which will also help O'Connell St.

Grafton street looks well, nice and clean but I prefer the old look, if I am being honest. I still think that Capel st is best avoided. I am not seeing the improvement that you are talking about. You still have the seedy sex shops and Panti bar does nothing to improve that area. Moore St is a disgrace of the highest order. Most of it needs to be cleared out and proper commercial units need to be put in, it is a commercial area after all but the 1916 whingpots would prefer to leave it looking like a dirty dump.
    I've never had hassle from junkies in any of those cities like I've had in Dublin from time ti time in the past 8 years. They also mysteriously disappeared during the celebrations for the rising last year.

They were moved out of the areas concerned for the event in question, according to business people I know in the south inner city. The Talbot street area was swamped with them a few years ago and the police moved them to the south side to clean up that area. I am in the city centre very regularly and they are an absolute pain in the backside. Was out getting lunch the other day and one of them was trying to get money off us, whilst the other was vomiting a few metres away. Police came along on foot, so they moved on, thankfully.

I reckon Dublin could nearly take a leaf out of Naples's book. While it isint spotless now it's a hell of a lot better than it was 10 years and the place hasn't lost any of its original character. Tourism is doing really well and the mafia is currently in decline there is a huge police and military presence on the streets which me worder if the guards were armed would junkies fear them a bit more and help us tare our streets back . I remember coming is incident where a man robbed a women's purse and when said she goingredients to call the Carabinieri he gave back fairly pronto.

Well, if Naples can be turned around anywhere can.

Berserker wrote: »
    Grafton street looks well, nice and clean but I prefer the old look, if I am being honest. I still think that Capel st is best avoided. I am not seeing the improvement that you are talking about. You still have the seedy sex shops and Panti bar does nothing to improve that area.

Oh please. Capel Street is quite safe. We can clean up the city without the puritanical sex-hating brigade.

I remember an idiot from the council tried to object when Ann Summers wanted to open on O'Connell Street. Presumably, he prefered the fast food restaurants and discount shops. It is actually one of the most respectable outlets on that street if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Oh please. Capel Street is quite safe. We can clean up the city without the puritanical sex-hating brigade.

I remember an idiot from the council tried to object when Ann Summers wanted to open on O'Connell Street. Presumably, he prefered the fast food restaurants and discount shops. It is actually one of the most respectable outlets on that street if you ask me.

Ann Summers looks very well but those shops on Capel St are a completely different issue. They should not be on such a prominent street in the city. They add nothing positive to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Junkies, from what I can see, just seem to sell each other prescription drugs and trade methadone and small amounts of heroin. That's not going to go away if the Garda have guns.

No but it may make people guards more if an armed person was approach them you know the guards need to feared more then they are less of the being all nice nicer to scumbags give them a good hiding like the guardia civile do.

No but it may make people guards more if an armed person was approach them you know the guards need to feared more then they are less of the being all nice nicer to scumbags give them a good hiding like the guardia civile do.

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned Lugs f**king Brannigan yet...

Berserker wrote: »
    Ann Summers looks very well but those shops on Capel St are a completely different issue. They should not be on such a prominent street in the city. They add nothing positive to the area.

What shops exactly? I love Capel st, it's the only street on the Northside I like. It's fantastic, tonnes of different shops and apart from a Spar or Centra no chain stores. One of the few streets in the capital with proper character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Go in behind clearys camped out there lanes in sh1te loads of places they don't only camp out in city but it suits them as they drink, shoot up and puke then piss and Sh1t anywhere and everywhere.

Roma are all over the place and not only the city they branch out use transport and hit areas checking houses and cold call begging also.

Where do you want them to go? they are kicked out of hostels in the morning and can't go back til the evening.

There was uproar when a safe injecting clinic was proposed a few months back. Can't have it both ways, ie complain when addicts use back alley to shoot up as they have nowhere else to go, but then also complain when a possible solution is proposed.

James 007 wrote: »
    This girl does not seem to think it is that bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19A53SyAUak&list=RD19A53SyAUak#t=0

Thanks for posting this. Amazing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm fairly used to the scare mongering half witted posts about Dublin on boards.ie, but I can't believe people avoiding Capel st.!! That's ridiculous.

One of the coolest and most interesting streets in the city. EVERY type of shop imaginable, amazing ethnic shops and eateries.

And Hanoi Hanoi and Musashi.

It's a sin to avoid Capel st.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've lived in Canada, France, Spain, NZ, Australia, and the UK and never saw anything remotely close to how bad the junkie and begging situation is in Dublin city. It doesn't bother me that much personally, but people saying it's like that everywhere are 100% wrong.

I don't understand the begging thing and the Garda - is it not illegal? I work near Grafton St for nearly 3 years now and it's the exact same beggers in the area, in the same spot, every day.

Been to all these places but I didn't walk out with Rose tinters all of the places you mentioned bar Canada have problems the same as our own.

To pretend they don't is bitterly hilarious. And yes I mean bitterly.

Often people who go abroad have this grass green mentality and judge where they came from much differently or harsher.

I'm sorry but Dublin really isn't bad. These threads are purely tiring. As they say in Dublin, it's pure pony talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When the LUAS is finished there in needs to be a concerted effort not to have unessential roadworks in the City Centre for at least a year. The whole College Green shambles should be put off for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭listermint

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm fairly used to the scare mongering half witted posts about Dublin on boards.ie, but I can't believe people avoiding Capel st.!! That's ridiculous.

One of the coolest and most interesting streets in the city. EVERY type of shop imaginable, amazing ethnic shops and eateries.

And Hanoi Hanoi and Musashi.

It's a sin to avoid Capel st.

Yep because they are talking crap. To pretend Capel Street is somehow dangerous or run down or both is laughable.

Advertisement