Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with Dublin City Centre?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Walking around town after being away for a bit it seemed really bad today in the Grafton St area. That woman drives me nuts, the slobby looking one who gets right up in your face going "Can you please help me" on St Stephen's Green. I mean it's intimidating to tourists and older people. Why is she allowed carry on like that? I walk these streets 5 days a week and I haven't seen a Garda for as long as I can remember.

I saw one 10 minutes ago in O'Connell Street talking to some tourists. I'm sure he's still in the area if you want a chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I've lived in Dublin all my life and the issue is that town is a kip.

It's full of fast food restaurants, pubs, junkies and ugly arictecture.

Hit the nail on the head, very unsightly place any day of the week. For me it's all the ugly old dilapidated buildings that ruin the look of the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Standing outside Tesco enjoying bag of crisps and a mineral with some one-eyed, bearded, up from the country, illegally drinking alcohol in the street twat hassling me for 10 minutes; insulting my mother, education, personality, and physique. Then he starts insulting me in Spanish! Not one Guard in sight. That's what's wrong with Dublin City Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Standing outside Tesco enjoying bag of crisps and a mineral with some one-eyed, bearded, up from the country, illegally drinking alcohol in the street twat hassling me for 10 minutes; insulting my mother, education, personality, and physique. Then he starts insulting me in Spanish! Not one Guard in sight. That's what's wrong with Dublin City Centre.

Was he from the country or from a certain 'ethnic minority'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Non-Traveller.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I reckon Dublin could nearly take a leaf out of Naples's book. While it isint spotless now it's a hell of a lot better than it was 10 years and the place hasn't lost any of its original character. Tourism is doing really well and the mafia is currently in decline there is a huge police and military presence on the streets which me worder if the guards were armed would junkies fear them a bit more and help us tare our streets back . I remember coming is incident where a man robbed a women's purse and when said she goingredients to call the Carabinieri he gave back fairly pronto.

Are you talking about Naples in Florida? I ask because I was in Naples in Italy, (Napoli) and I thought it was an utter kip. If you think Dublin is bad for junkies, hookers, dealers beggars or hawkers, try wandering around piazza garibaldi at any time of the day or night.

Worst pizza in my life as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Are you talking about Naples in Florida? I ask because I was in Naples in Italy, (Napoli) and I thought it was an utter kip. If you think Dublin is bad for junkies, hookers, dealers beggars or hawkers, try wandering around piazza garibaldi at any time of the day or night.

If you didn't manage to get good pizza in Naples, something went terribly wrong. For all it's undoubted kippiness, it's got lots to like. I warmed to the place, it's grittiness included. Hanging around near train stations is generally not going to highlight the best of any city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Obivously not in recent times it has improved a lot in recent years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think the reason we notice drug addicts more in Dublin city is because it's a very small city in comparison to others around the world.

Don't know what the answer is except more Garda on the beat. It's rare to see them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

pilly wrote: »
    I think the reason we notice drug addicts more in Dublin city is because it's a very small city in comparison to others around the world.

Don't know what the answer is except more Garda on the beat. It's rare to see them.

It's the aggressive beggars that bother me the most. The worst ones around here are travellers, going on their accents, and the fact I saw one getting into a transit once after being picked up by her sons or whoever they were.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's the aggressive beggars that bother me the most. The worst ones around here are travellers, going on their accents, and the fact I saw one getting into a transit once after being picked up by her sons or whoever they were.

I have to say I've never seen a traveller begging in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

alastair wrote: »
    If you didn't manage to get good pizza in Naples, something went terribly wrong. For all it's undoubted kippiness, it's got lots to like. I warmed to the place, it's grittiness included. Hanging around near train stations is generally not going to highlight the best of any city.

I would have thought if anything one of Dublins best qualities would be its gritty charm akin to Naples

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

They used to call into my house when I was a kid. Just walked past the mother daughter traveller combo on Wicklow st. Same f*ckers at it for years I was on a bus in front of them once and they counted over 100 Euro. They are not homeless. They should be locked up for scamming people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's lots. At least one permanently on Johnson's court.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

Walking around town after being away for a bit it seemed really bad today in the Grafton St area. That woman drives me nuts, the slobby looking one who gets right up in your face going "Can you please help me" on St Stephen's Green. I mean it's intimidating to tourists and older people. Why is she allowed carry on like that? I walk these streets 5 days a week and I haven't seen a Garda for as long as I can remember.

I know exactly the woman you're talking about. "Can ya help me love"..."Can ya please help me". Extremely loudly. She's a professional begger and i've seen people throwing her a few coins so it obviously works. Disgrace. As if the welfare and free housing is not good enough for her, she has to shame the city with her foulness.

Interesting observation made to me the other day by a French colleague. He says this is the only EU country he's seen where the native people are begging on the streets. In most other EU countries, the beggars are immigrants or foreigners of some sort. I proceeded to inform him about our extensive welfare system. He thinks we're far too soft as a country, and he's dead right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I remember Edinburgh in the 80s. Everyone knew there was a drugs problem but you seldom witnessed it unless you found yourself in Craigmillar or Wester Hales.

We notice addicts in Dublin because they are there, openly dealing/using in the city centre.

It is something that seems to be tolerated here. If these people tried the same in Edinburgh, it would be jail time.

Interesting observation made to me the other day by a French colleague. He says this is the only EU country he's seen where the native people are begging on the streets. In most other EU countries, the beggars are immigrants or foreigners of some sort. I proceeded to inform him about our extensive welfare system. He thinks we're far too soft as a country, and he's dead right.

Begging is illegal in a number of EU states and regions, so is obviously going to be less evident. But your French mate needs to get himself to the UK, Spain, or Portugal, where, eh, 'native people' can be readily seen begging. If begging isn't a crime, then kind of difficult to understand how anyone is soft on it.

Begging is illegal in a number of EU states and regions, so is obviously going to be less evident. But your French mate needs to get himself to the UK, Spain, or Portugal, where, eh, 'native people' can be readily seen begging. If begging isn't a crime, then kind of difficult to understand how anyone is soft on it.

We're soft on it because it's not a crime. It should be outlawed in a country where everyone is entitled to hundreds of euros a week in cash from the state. How can anyone justify begging being legal when such resources are already handed to people by the state?

We're soft on it because it's not a crime. It should be outlawed in a country where everyone is entitled to hundreds of euros a week in cash from the state. How can anyone justify begging being legal when such resources are already handed to people by the state?

If it's not a crime (and it's not), then nobody is in any position to be 'soft' or 'hard' on it. It's merely your own opinion. If you don't like it, just ignore it. Clearly the justification for begging is that people are prepared to give to those who either fall though the gaps in social provision (which undoubtedly exist), or claim to have. And advertising on the back of false claims is not exactly unique to the begging fraternity.

It's merely your own opinion. If you don't like it, just ignore it.

I'm aware of the law as it stands. I'm saying it should be a crime, given the huge welfare payments in this country. If i don't like it, i won't ignore it, i'll seek to change it. That ok with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm aware of the law as it stands. I'm saying it should be a crime, given the huge welfare payments in this country. If i don't like it, i won't ignore it, i'll seek to change it. That ok with you?

Good man Fred. Go for it.

Just to let you know though, talking sh1te on internet forums doesn't actually change anything.

Maybe just go for a relaxing massage to get that chip off your shoulder.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is that there's much that is best ignored. Inane windbaggery included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I love town... but it's filthy at the moment. I'm 33 years old and have lived in or close to the city centre all my life and I can safely say it's worse than I ever remember. Rubbish everywhere and the antisocial behaviour is worsening by the day. The council won't spend on cleaning and the guards are woefully under resourced.

Good man Fred. Go for it.

Just to let you know though, talking sh1te on internet forums doesn't actually change anything.

Maybe just go for a relaxing massage to get that chip off your shoulder.

Careful now, any more talk like this and my self esteem might be hurt...

Tough lads aren't you, sure why don't we just tax everyone to the hilt to pay for a welfare lifestyle out of kilter with the rest of the world. What could go wrong.

Tough lads aren't you, sure why don't we just tax everyone to the hilt to pay for a welfare lifestyle out of kilter with the rest of the world. What could go wrong.

We aren't taxed to the hilt here. Our tax burden is remarkably unremarkable, compared to the rest of the world. Nothing tough in any of it.

http://www.nerinstitute.net/download/pdf/income_taxes_ireland_inbrief.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I know the one your talking about here - she is sort of saying it in a distressed manner to everyone who walks by. It's awful.

No joke - but she got some lip from a tourist she tried to corner for a few quid, and she lifted up her t-shirt and did a bit of jiggling in front of him. No bra or nothing. It was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I love town... but it's filthy at the moment. I'm 33 years old and have lived in or close to the city centre all my life and I can safely say it's worse than I ever remember. Rubbish everywhere and the antisocial behaviour is worsening by the day. The council won't spend on cleaning and the guards are woefully under resourced.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure this Batman reboot is going to be as good as the Christopher Nolan series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Literally no public toilets, having to go into McDonalds only to be told by a Nigerian that I'm not allowed use their toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

On this very point,and perhaps revisiting the Dear Old Dirty Dublin tag of old....I note that after spending several million,private enterprise € on the Jameson Visitor Centre refurbishment,the only visible Dublin City Council response has been to remove EVERY on-street litter bin from the area....one can walk from Smithfield Luas stop past the Irish Whiskey Centre all the way to Constitution Hill passing only the circular imprints left after DCC used an angle-grinder to remove the litter bin fittings.

Policy...?.....it probably is :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

HenryHill wrote: »
    Literally no public toilets, having to go into McDonalds only to be told by a Nigerian that I'm not allowed use their toilets.

He probably knew you were a Goodfella and you were up to no good ;)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement