Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with Dublin City Centre?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What believe is we should have a mix of private and council dwellings I live in a reletively middle class area I won't say where in middle of our area is a small council development thats been there years and theres never any problems the people that live there are all either elderly or decent honest working people. Having large council estates like Ballymun, Finglas, Blanch, Clondalkin and Tallaght on the periphery of a city dosen't work as has been proven.

Social mix housing is a nonsense, when it was first thought of in the UK post war, it was actually hoped to try erode the class system by having people from all backgrounds getting live together and learn from each other. Not a bda idea but it never really worked

In Ireland it was just hoped that it would entice middle class people into an area to civilise it then squeeze out the natives out as they reached adulthood and wouldn't be able to afford to rent there anymore.

All it actually did was hand public land over to private land owners and created swathes of privately rented properties, many of which are now being subsidized by the state through rent allowance. The Tax payer literally gets ripped off on the land deal then pays the rent on an ongoing basis for no benefit to anyone bar the landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Obviously not, but there's a lot of very central social housing

And your point is most of it older social housing which in bad condition anyway. Are you of these people into gentrification?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

humberklog wrote: »

@ Tricky D, jayzuz I'd forgotten all about glue bags and rent boys. In fact just on street prostitution (all but gone now) it makes for a much better place at night especially for women. I worked and lived around Herbert St.\ Baggot St. in the late 80's and at night around there and Fitzwilliam Sq. there was always an air of risk with kerb crawlers and that was as now one of the fancy places in the city.

I worked up around burlington road about 10 years ago and if you were leaving the office late you'd still see brazzers hanging around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Stephen15 wrote: »
    And your point is most of it older social housing which in bad condition anyway. Are you of these people into gentrification?

Yeah I'd like to see the inner city in better shape with less heroin addicts hanging around etc. Do you think gentrification would resolve this issue, and move the problems elsewhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yeah I'd like to see the inner city in better shape with less heroin addicts hanging around etc. Do you think gentrification would resolve this issue, and move the problems elsewhere?

Just so you wouldn't have to look at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There are heroin addicts all over the country. You just see more if them in the city centre, as all the treatments centres are located in the city centre. Addicts, in the system, in the Dublin region are all obliged to go into the city centre for treatment. Gentrify the entire city centre and that reality remains. Nothing to do with public housing in the city centre. There's far more public housing in the suburbs. Seriously; between this and your delusions about free council gaffs, I'd suggest you inform yourself on these issues before engaging your trap. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Drug problem in CC has little to do social housing. It's the clustering of drug treatment services, needle exchanges, homeless services, as well as the hostels where many addicts live that draws the addicted to the city centre. Also, the city centre provides the best locations for begging & petty crime too. You want to improve that and see less addicts on the streets, then provide adequate treatment facilities and homeless services, not the disjointed and inefficient shambles that exists currently. Breaking the poverty cycle in areas of deprivation (areas you are ironically very keen to re-create!) would help too in the long term.

You should seriously inform yourself of the reality of the situation, your ignorant tirade against social housing and residents of Balymun has been bloody embarrassing to read to be honest.

pilly wrote: »
    Just so you wouldn't have to look at it?

Yeah pretty much. The city centre should be a pleasant place to visit, for tourists and residents of Dublin.

alastair wrote: »
    Seriously; between this and your delusions about free council gaffs, I'd suggest you inform yourself on these issues before engaging your trap. :rolleyes:

So do people not get free housing? I always thought they did, apologies if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So do people not get free housing? I always thought they did, apologies if I'm wrong.

They do.

There is 100 million owed in rent arrears to Dublin city council.

A lot of people are living rent free in these houses, you're not far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

And yet another thread turns into a "free house" rant.

pilly wrote: »
    And yet another thread turns into a "free house" rant.

Quite funny alright.

They do.

There is 100 million owed in rent arrears to Dublin city council.

A lot of people are living rent free in these houses, you're not far wrong.

Now, none of that is actually true, is it?

Dublin City Council had rent arrears of €19.6 million in the second quarter of 2016 (the national local authority rent arrears figure stood at €65 million at the end of 2016 - so no €100 million in any scenario). That applied to 6,300 of it's tenants, but as the Irish Times reported on the arrears at the start of 2015:
    The council is owed more than €23 million in arrears, by more than 14,000 households, according to figures to be presented at the council’s housing committee. The majority of the arrears, however, are not due to tenants’ refusal to pay rent, but “the failure of tenants to inform” the council “of changes in their personal circumstances in a timely manner”.

So, not much evidence of anyone 'living rent-free' there, and clear evidence that arrears are pursued by the council, and paid by tenants (since the number of households with arrears more than halved over the 2014-2016 period).

Well I'm probably wrong about everything. It's easy to point the blame at the poor inner city residents I guess for the city's woes. I think Dublin is just really badly planned, it's not a well run city at all at any level. The location of the methadone clinics, the way social housing is distributed, the bars all closing at the same time at the weekends... Actually I had some friends over from Holland last year and we all had to go home at 2.30am because bars aren't allowed open later, that's just ridiculous, not that I need bars open later than that often but it would be nice to have the option!
    I remember a few years ago, some European agency used Dublin as an example of how NOT to plan a city, for the rest of Europe. I'm a bit sick of the junkies, the fact that the whole city is dug up, the awful public transport, the beggers everywhere...
    In saying all this I wouldn't live anywhere else, I live near the sea and a park and am a 27 min cycle to Grafton st so I can't complain! I just wish we had a nicer city centre, I think it's pretty poor by European standards. I'm not a politician and I don't work for DCC but I still think I have a right to have my opinions, I pay tax. The powers that be could fix a lot of these issues by just using some common sense.

http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10007490.shtml
    https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2012/05/how-ireland-screwed-up-on-planning/
    http://www.thejournal.ie/what-if-dublin-2-1922019-Feb2015/

I'm not a politician and I don't work for DCC but I still think I have a right to have my opinions, I pay tax.

Your paying tax has nothing to do with a right to holding opinions. Everyone pays tax, even those on social welfare.

Holding opinions, and their having any validity are two different matters. If you can't comprehend that public housing is not free to council tenants, I'd really hold off on offering any insights on the subject.

Your paying tax has nothing to do with a right to holding opinions. Everyone pays tax, even those on social welfare.

Holding opinions, and their having any validity are two different matters. If you can't comprehend that public housing is not free to council tenants, I'd really hold off on offering any insights on the subject.

So if people aren't working, how do they pay for council houses? :confused:

So if people aren't working, how do they pay for council houses? :confused:

Precisely as they do for private accommodation - from their social welfare payments. It's not exactly rocket science this, is it?

Precisely as they do for private accommodation - from their social welfare payments. It's not exactly rocket science this, is it?

But social welfare is free. So they pay for it from their free money? That's not quite the same as using money you earned is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

But social welfare is free. So they pay for it from their free money? That's not quite the same as using money you earned is it?

Social welfare is not necessarily free. Some people pay into the system years before making any claim.

Don't get me wrong. I think Dublin is a kip. But it isn't because of free housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I've complained about this before, but when will the work be done in town? It looks awful and it slows down traffic so much.

• Advertisement

I've complained about this before, but when will the work be done in town? It looks awful and it slows down traffic so much.

They're saying it should be up and running in December, so I'd imagine the roadworks will be finished maybe 2 months before that? October maybe?

So when people on the dole who haven't contributed to the pot also got rent allowance of sometimes up to 1400 a month they aren't getting a free house?

Give over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

They're saying it should be up and running in December, so I'd imagine the roadworks will be finished maybe 2 months before that? October maybe?

Christ, the amount of time thats taken :(

So when people on the dole who haven't contributed to the pot also got rent allowance of sometimes up to 1400 a month they aren't getting a free house?

Give over.

Yes but apparently they're paying for it themselves, out of their social welfare. Or something.

Give over.

Who said they haven't contributed to the pot? If they're paying rent, and have no doubt they are, then they're certainly not getting a free house.

Yes but apparently they're paying for it themselves, out of their social welfare. Or something.

They're paying for it out of their income. Just like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My mam knows this chap is is 40. He has never worked, never paid into the system and gets his dole every week. He lived with his mam up until she died, and he know lives in that house a 3 bed semi on his own rent free. He has only started doing courses recently as they would of stopped his dole otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My mam knows this chap is is 40. He has never worked, never paid into the system and gets his dole every week. He lived with his mam up until she died, and he know lives in that house a 3 bed semi on his own rent free. He has only started doing courses recently as they would of stopped his dole otherwise.

And?

Did he dig up the roads for the Luas works? Does he beg on O' Connell Bridge? Is he the architect behind the boardwalk?

In case my sarcasm is lost on you, what the fcuk does your mother's imaginary friend have to do with Dublin City Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

And?

Did he dig up the roads for the Luas works? Does he beg on O' Connell Bridge? Is he the architect behind the boardwalk?

In case my sarcasm is lost on you, what the fcuk does your mother's imaginary friend have to do with Dublin City Centre?

Not imaginary. Previous posts were about the dole a day free money, no?

Advertisement