Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with Dublin City Centre?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Not imaginary. Previous posts were about the dole a day free money, no?

I don't really think those posts are relevant personally.

Have public toilets ever been discussed for the city centre? I know there are options like popping into mcdonalds or easons whatever, but its obviously not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭goochy

Unemployed people in Dublin - where I am from originally - have no excuse to not have a job as loads there . Their income comes from hard working tax payers . The taxes they pay comes from free money they get .
    Alistar are you a fool or just someone from Sinn fein or AAA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

@goochy and @killbillvol2 do not post in this thread again until you are able to do so in a civil manner. Also less dole rant and more on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I don't really think those posts are relevant personally.

Have public toilets ever been discussed for the city centre? I know there are options like popping into mcdonalds or easons whatever, but its obviously not ideal.

There's always security there who often stop non customers. Funnily enough I think it's to stop said junkies mentioned here from coming in.

I don't think ive ever seen security working daytime in McDonald's anywhere in the world except Dublin. Doubt I even seen it after the club's abroad neither.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    There's always security there who often stop non customers. Funnily enough I think it's to stop said junkies mentioned here from coming in.

I don't think ive ever seen security working daytime in McDonald's anywhere in the world except Dublin. Doubt I even seen it after the club's abroad neither.

You're probably right, even though its stupid. Public toilets are always a good thing to have in a city I think. I'd prefer it if they put no charge on it (in this hypothetical scenario) but if it paid for the up keep, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You're probably right, even though its stupid. Public toilets are always a good thing to have in a city I think. I'd prefer it if they put no charge on it (in this hypothetical scenario) but if it paid for the up keep, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal.

Agreed. The obvious solution are those ones that clean themselves and open after 10 minutes so no opportunity for getting up to no good. I don't mind paying for those ones as they're always clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Public toilets have been a fraught subject in Dublin, but, tbh, it's not really a problem during the daytime. There's plenty of publically accessible toilets in the city - between shopping centres, museums, pubs and whatnot. Night-time is a different matter though, and the temporary portaloo placement programme should really be extended - if not by the council, then by the vintners association.

alastair wrote: »
    Public toilets have been a fraught subject in Dublin, but, tbh, it's not really a problem during the daytime. There's plenty of publically accessible toilets in the city - between shopping centres, museums, pubs and whatnot. Night-time is a different matter though, and the temporary portaloo placement programme should really be extended - if not by the council, then by the vintners association.

Is this a thing? I don't go into town in the evening usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's a thing around Mountjoy square and the environs of Crocker on big match days, and, in the city centre, on the major booze-up events/weekends etc. Presumably the GAA fund the match day provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Used to be some at the side of the central bank when going to the club's years ago. I haven't noticed a portaloo in town in a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Yeah, there's one on Camden street at the weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

alastair wrote: »

We could install these

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I used to live in South London and the local businesses like McDonalds were part of a Public Toilet scheme type thing, where people were allowed use them without having to buy anything. They need to do something like that here because there are zero options really apart from sneaking into a pub.
    I was in Aldi on Parnell St on Saturday evening. 4 what I presumed to be local kids of about 14 were running around the shop, knocking things off the shelves, and playing cat and mouse with security guard. Just total feral animals. I've actually seen the exact same thing in the Lidl near me on Malahide Road, youngfellas doing same. We just seem to breed a particularly unruly type of knacker kids in this country, I know you'll all say it's the exact same in other countries, but I really don't think so, the only places I've seen such disrespect for authority and people in general is here and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's the special snokefalke parenting (or lack of). You rarely see a parent following through with No.

I was out with work the other day, 50 or so kids come in to the resturant and sit behind us. Fairly unruley sitting down but nothing too bad. We're all thinking fook - there's the night gone. Dinner was ordered, they all quietened down and frankly you wouldn't have even known theye were there. Why? They were French - dinner time is sit down be quiet and eat, not run around the place screaming and fecking about becuase 'they're kids'.

That said wehere I live the kids can get up to mischief but most have been brought up with a respect for their elders. You can tell them to feck off away from the garden or what ever (obviously more politely than that) and they respect it. They have a genuine respect for people and an actual (fear is the wrong word but you know what I mean) of their parents being told they were being likke bollix's.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭omah

I would personally be afraid to say anything to a gang of teenagers these days if they were acting the maggot, I think a lot of people are like that. Sad.

One of the things I dont like about Dublin City Centre is I think there is too many Spar/Centra/Londis type shops in the city centre. I do see they are handy for things like topping up leap cards, buying cigarettes or getting a quick snack but does every second shop need to be one this seems to espeically be the case on O'Connell and Westmoreland Street.

If you look at European cities, they have a lot of convenience stores in the city centres but they do not have neon signs - they are located in old buildings with the original street front architecture as intact as possible. It would be lovely if Dublin City Council could try to go back to this on O'Connell Street at least.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    One of the things I dont like about Dublin City Centre is I think there is too many Spar/Centra/Londis type shops in the city centre. I do see they are handy for things like topping up leap cards, buying cigarettes or getting a quick snack but does every second shop need to be one this seems to espeically be the case on O'Connell and Westmoreland Street.

Huh, I never thought of that before. If you include that spar thats just off O'Conell street as well, theres 6 or 7 of them? Thats way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Count the Starbucks while you are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

omah wrote: »
    If you look at European cities, they have a lot of convenience stores in the city centres but they do not have neon signs - they are located in old buildings with the original street front architecture as intact as possible. It would be lovely if Dublin City Council could try to go back to this on O'Connell Street at least.

DCC could not give a flying f*** about O'Connell Street and its environs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yeah it's bizarre, I've never been in another city with so many convenience stores right in the city centre. I guess there's peppered around central London but they don't have the ugly signage. Just your usual corner store.

There's a thread about ugly Spar signage here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055800468

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

For a few months there it seemed as though there were fewer people begging and sleeping on the streets. However this week, things appear to be back to the high numbers they were before. This is only based on my own observation of people while walking through the city on my way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Bambi wrote: »
    DCC could not give a flying f*** about O'Connell Street and its environs

Me neither tbh. Avoid that area and you avoid most of the cities problems.

The southside is brilliant.

Sorry now, but as a northsider, I have to say I don't agree with the attitude: "stick to the southside only" - O'Connell St is our main national street, think of the history...I would like it to look a bit better so we could have pride in it. Maybe after the Luas works are complete..?

Sorry now, but as a northsider, I have to say I don't agree with the attitude: "stick to the southside only" - O'Connell St is our main national street, think of the history...I would like it to look a bit better so we could have pride in it. Maybe after the Luas works are complete..?

I'm southsider myself but usually go to the northside primarily Henry Street as I find Arnotts to be a better shop than brown thomas and the other shops aswell I find to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's a disgrace though, it stinks of piss, try walking it without meeting the 'aggressive begger', all the streets off it are worse, Sackville Place, Parnell St both sides etc etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's a disgrace though, it stinks of piss, try walking it without meeting the 'aggressive begger', all the streets off it are worse, Sackville Place, Parnell St both sides etc etc.

Begging happens all over the city, not just on the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

"Agressive begging" is getting out of hand. Had one start following me out of a shop and down the street, then proceeded to start yelling at me when I wouldn't acknowledge her.

Dublin, a city where there are streets and alleys 15-30m off our main national street that you wouldn't walk down alone. That says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Biscuitus wrote: »
    "Agressive begging" is getting out of hand. Had one start following me out of a shop and down the street, then proceeded to start yelling at me when I wouldn't acknowledge her.

Dublin, a city where there are streets and alleys 15-30m off our main national street that you wouldn't walk down alone. That says it all.

forget Luas works , too many Spars and fast food outlets etc ... it's the Homeless , the Roma , the Beggers and the Junkies that are the major major problem with DCC , it is such a small city center by European , Uk and Us comparisons that the social problems appear much more visible and much greater then they actually are.

Number of factors contributing to that the main facility's for the homeless are located close to DCC as are the Methadone clinics and a high volume of problematic council housing ... we need more private development in DCC and a move of the homeless services and methadone clinics out of the city Centre (D1) area. The gards need to seriously crack down on the open drug dealing and use as well as the professional beggars (Roma) , i do think safe injection spaces are a good idea to get drug users off the street , if they want to kill themselves with heroine , fire away but at least do it somewhere secure and out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

forget Luas works , too many Spars and fast food outlets etc ... it's the Homeless , the Roma , the Beggers and the Junkies that are the major major problem with DCC , it is such a small city center by European , Uk and Us comparisons that the social problems appear much more visible and much greater then they actually are.

Number of factors contributing to that the main facility's for the homeless are located close to DCC as are the Methadone clinics and a high volume of problematic council housing ... we need more private development in DCC and a move of the homeless services and methadone clinics out of the city Centre (D1) area. The gards need to seriously crack down on the open drug dealing and use as well as the professional beggars (Roma) , i do think safe injection spaces are a good idea to get drug users off the street , if they want to kill themselves with heroine , fire away but at least do it somewhere secure and out of sight.

Dublin CC is overrun with private accomodation these days, what housing areas are "problematic" :confused:

Advertisement