Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFS (Blanchardstown)

Options
  • 27-01-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

(You can safely ignore the first 2 paragraphs of me waffling)

I always spend a wee bit more and go for service but I'm just now winning this time. Walked into EZliving - who we've used before, great service - and in five minutes we'd found the right Sofa and Chairs except they don't offer a non-corner group. Days of trying to convince ourselves the corner group would fit, no dice.

Having a wee google I find something similar in DFS. I hate DFS, I've heard loads of horror stories, even going in reminds me of the dodgy sales jobs I had in the noughties. Went there (before going to EZliving) looking for beds about 18 months ago and felt like Gazelles being stalked in the Masai Mara.

Any stories of DFS, have they changed, can I buy a sofa from them and not end up wanting to drive my car through the shop window?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

We got a couch off them last year. We paid our deposit & told them we were moving into our house on X date & couldnt take the order until then.

The warehouse rang & were very pushy trying to get us to take the couch early. "No storage room " was their line.

The sales lady was a bit pushy trying to sell fabric insurance .They do the coffee stain trick.

The couch does the job & hasnt collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Of course you'll get horror stories but they have thousands of satisfied customers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Recently bought a sofa there, staff are keen but they are salespeople and it's better than being ignored. 3 different sales guys spent ages with us and then they followed up by phone for details later, very helpful. Order tracker system is handy so you can see what stage it's at. Furniture was ready ahead of schedule, got several calls and texts confirming date of delivery. The delivery guys did everything and were punctual. Happy customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

It seems that the issues with DFS are the high pressure "insurance" sales and after care.

If you think you won't have a problem with the product and are able to say a firm no to high pressure sales talk, you'll be fine.

Personally I reckon there are hundreds of better stores out there.

Possibly pop to Finline furniture just off M7 at Emo - they make suites there and prices are reasonable (not cheap, but superb quality)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Many thanks to responder and thanks for the recommendations for alternatives - very grateful if any one has any more recommendations.

Budget isn't huge - 2 - 4K for two chairs and a 4 seater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Many thanks to responder and thanks for the recommendations for alternatives - very grateful if any one has any more recommendations.

Budget isn't huge - 2 - 4K for two chairs and a 4 seater.

That's a decent budget. We got a 3 seater, 2 seater and armchair for just over 3k.

In Finline you pick the style and then pick the fabric (at least that's what we did 5 years ago), so choice is immense - and you can view the factory floor from a viewing window.

Edit - just checked their site. They have price lists for download and detailed info
    http://www.finlinefurniture.ie/products/corner-sofas/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Does anybody know the standard delivery time from DFS? I know it's how long is a piece of string with all the variations, but in store we were told for fabric recliner models it's between 7-12 weeks, but online the exact model we want is saying a 4 week delivery.

We are in the middle of buying a home (first time buyer) so will have no couch when we move in for up to 12 weeks if we believe the sales guys..

Anybody any advice to when they got their own place?

If you're not sat on orange boxes for the first two months you're doing it wrong IMHO. :pac:

Walked into EZliving out in Blanch having just been in DFS waiting for the wife and said ' Can you stop me buying in DFS, why don't you do this in a non-corner group'. 'We have, as of today' came the reply, much hasty printing out and measuring later we got exactly what we wanted, happy days!

Obviously you never hear the positive stories but I've heard DFS' lead time should be taken with a pinch of salt. Some places have in stock sofas they tend to be a bit more reliable (including DFS I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

If you're not sat on orange boxes for the first two months you're doing it wrong IMHO. :pac:

Obviously you never hear the positive stories but I've heard DFS' lead time should be taken with a pinch of salt. Some places have in stock sofas they tend to be a bit more reliable (including DFS I think).

Haha there is a veruca salt in all of us!

pinch of salt that they are optimistc or pessimistic?

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Haha there is a veruca salt in all of us!

pinch of salt that they are optimistc or pessimistic?

To be fair they have trustpilot reviews, but Google DFS and read some of the reviews. That said fewer people will comment positives and a couple of people here seems to have good experiences. Delays happen I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement