Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cig light adaptor..

• 27-01-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Just want to get a,cig lighter adaptor fitted to moped..direct from battery to dash..will get mechanic. To do it..anyone recommend. Any particular. Type..link...waterproof. . Also thks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Just want to get a,cig lighter adaptor fitted to moped..direct from battery to dash..will get mechanic. To do it..anyone recommend. Any particular. Type..link...waterproof. . Also thks

Don't know much about mopeds but did the same on a bandit. Have you an under seat storage? If so buy a cheap adapter from Halfords and wire it to there. You can place your rain sensitive devices in the same place. I can't imagine anything you'd plug into a dash on 12v that wasn't itself weatherproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    Don't know much about mopeds but did the same on a bandit. Have you an under seat storage? If so buy a cheap adapter from Halfords and wire it to there. You can place your rain sensitive devices in the same place. I can't imagine anything you'd plug into a dash on 12v that wasn't itself weatherproof.

This has made me laugh....:pac::D

Ebay is the job for this.
    Comes complete with an inline fuse and just hook it to the battery and feed it through the panels up to the dash.
    I made my own custom leads up from scraps of wire I had here in the garage.
    Very easy to do and fit to the S1000rr abnd the R1.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

I got mine on ebay, it has the cig & USB fitting on it. an it doesn't use any power until you hook something up to it.
    ye don't need a mechanic to fit it,there VERY easy to fit yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where do you fit the ashtray?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Lumen wrote: »
    Where do you fit the ashtray?

Below the heater controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Below the heater controls.
    Gotcha. I was thinking of popping the ash into that big round hole in between my crotch and the handlebars. It has a locked cap on it which I presume is to stop people stealing the fag butts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Lumen wrote: »
    Gotcha. I was thinking of popping the ash into that big round hole in between my crotch and the handlebars. It has a locked cap on it which I presume is to stop people stealing the fag butts.

Get a hobby ...mods ..can you note this..probably doing same to other posters thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get a hobby ...mods ..can you note this..probably doing same to other posters thanks

Tbf I thought it was funny

Ebay is the job for this.
    Comes complete with an inline fuse and just hook it to the battery and feed it through the panels up to the dash.
    I made my own custom leads up from scraps of wire I had here in the garage.
    Very easy to do and fit to the S1000rr abnd the R1.

Ya thanks ...the only reason I was going to get a bike mechanic to do it was the battery is situated right at the very back in a very tight compartment...it is awkward to get cable in and will require drilling. I have a car adaptor with a very long cable that I could probably feed theough to dash as there are a number of storage boxes there. I can get clips and fit to battery terminals no problem .I would be anxious to put an in line fuse between battery and cig adaptor ...I wonder what fuse size would protect it? I also have an adaptor for a trickle charger I bought ....it has one part for permanent fixing to battery ...and a connector adaptor...then that I can leave in Helmut compartment ..if I did need a charge its only a matter of lifting up seat and connecting connectors.. Avoids mesing around with battery compartment if I cant get bike started...would you know if they would be drawing power if bike parked up thks?

• Advertisement

This has made me laugh....:pac::D

Think I paid about €10 for it. Has four sockets. Wired through the ignition.

It's nice and safe and dry under the seat so I can run gps, charge the phone etc all at the same time.

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    Think I paid about €10 for it. Has four sockets. Wired through the ignition.

It's nice and safe and dry under the seat so I can run gps, charge the phone etc all at the same time.

4 euro in Lidl.

is that not rather bulky though/
    4 sockets on a motorbike...:pac:

This is mine..

20160819_130841-1-1_zpss1l4xg6g.jpg

20160804_095732_zpsitvrb5yt.jpg

20160804_093810_zpsiep5ewz1.jpg[/QUOTE]

20160726_171139_zpsi8oqszwt.jpg

20160726_181418_zpsifk9ilxi.jpg[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I got a 10 amp fuse...and will run it from battery to cig adaptor ..I think that will do the job ..Thks for all the advice ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I got a 10 amp fuse...and will run it from battery to cig adaptor ..I think that will do the job ..Thks for all the advice ..

That's huge, if it's just for a phone and GPS then you'll burn them before the fuse will blow.

5 amp,even a 3amp will be fine.

that solder, any use? I got one there recently but haven't used it yet
    4 euro in Lidl.

This is mine..

20160804_093810_zpsiep5ewz1.jpg

20160726_181418_zpsifk9ilxi.jpg[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

4 euro in Lidl.

This is mine..

20160804_093810_zpsiep5ewz1.jpg

20160726_181418_zpsifk9ilxi.jpg[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/quote]

Interesting setup. Can't highlight text in the quote above in the phone so forgive the clumsiness of the response.
    Lidl is cheaper and grand if you want to wait a year to buy - I was heading abroad and wanted it there and then.
    I use two of the four sockets - one for the phone and the other for the GPS - I run a wire from under the saddle to the pouch on the bars which is nice and secure and easily detachable. I use one of my daughters' hair bobbles to keep the plug from vibrating free of the socket. (Hi tech!)
    Having said that yours looks fairly slick 😀

that solder, any use? I got one there recently but haven't used it yet

Works a treat.:)

Those sockets are in Lidl right now. also other leads and adaptors.

Works a treat.:)

cool, good to hear its not a piece of crap. I know the welders they sold where a heap of crap, wouldn't even touch one. but the solder looked alright for what I wanted it for.
    cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement