Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverdale [The CW] ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I thought that was a very good episode. It moves fast too. I feel everything that happened in that episode would've happened over a couple of episodes in some others shows.

I was wondering about the time myself. I was thinking how bloody long are they keeping Jason's body above ground for? He's been dead since July and he was found the first week of school, which was 5 episodes ago, but now it seems that maybe everything we've seen so far has been happening in a matter of days rather than weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

I was wondering about the time myself. I was thinking how bloody long are they keeping Jason's body above ground for? He's been dead since July and he was found the first week of school, which was 5 episodes ago, but now it seems that maybe everything we've seen so far has been happening in a matter of days rather than weeks.

Yeah the very same occurred to me today. The fact it was murder though maybe they had to hold onto the body for autopsy/investigation etc for a while.

So it was probably was more like 3-4 weeks when you think about it:

The whole Archie/Grundy thing, Betty entrapping that football player, the drive-in cinema and the number of times they've met at night at Pop's off the top of my head. :)

Yeah the very same occurred to me today. The fact it was murder though maybe they had to hold onto the body for autopsy/investigation etc for a while.

So it was probably was more like 3-4 weeks when you think about it:

The whole Archie/Grundy thing, Betty entrapping that football player, the drive-in cinema and the number of times they've met at night at Pop's off the top of my head. :)

Yeah, some of the stuff that happens suggests days, other stuff suggests weeks. Probably best not to think too hard about it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Have come to the conclusion Betty is her sister Polly. Had episode/breakdown as Polly. Split personality now Betty

LCD wrote: »
    Have come to the conclusion Betty is her sister Polly. Had episode/breakdown as Polly. Split personality now Betty

Possible except for everyone else in town talks about them as two separate people.

• Advertisement

LCD wrote: »

I was thinking that myself after last weeks episode, but as Tickle me Elmo says, it does seem like they're two different people the way the other characters go on.

Might explain why Archie isn't into some as hot as Betty! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well Polly isn't Betty.

I have to say they are doing a great job with the twists and turns and cliffhangers every episode usually shows that try to do this fail big time.

I find this show infuriating at times.

The tonal difference between certain scenes is just too jarring. I mean, we went from Betty and Polly being pulled apart in the hallway to... I don't even know, something boring about singing or building or something....

I get that it's a teen show and there's a lot of characters to give screen time to but there must have been a good third of that episode given over to singing. The Josie and the Pussy Cats stuff reeks of trying to establish a spin off.

As for Archie and his musical dreams, BORING! It's probably quite realistic for a teenager to decide to dedicate his life to music one summer but not even know who Bob Dylan is, but it's still beyond boring.

I did appreciate the fact that Betty also had no interest in any of Archie's singing problems. Betty/Veronica/Archie is supposed to be the core love triangle, based on the source material, but it seems like they're taking many steps to remove Betty from that situation on the show, which works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think Betty & Jughead are a great duo, and despite myself I have been "shipping" them for the past few weeks.

I believe in the comics Jughead is
    asexual
    , which I think would be interesting to see them possibly explore at some point too.

^Agree with all that.

Yes, definitely need to remove Betty from that side of things - she's a lot more important things going on - her suspicions of her parents involvement in the murder for one so makes sense.

The whole singing thing is so boring. The pussycats suck. And so does Archie. I lost what little respect I had for his musical ambitions when he didn't know who Bob Dylan was! :D

Anyway, I wonder who set the car on fire...

• Advertisement

^Agree with all that.

Yes, definitely need to remove Betty from that side of things - she's a lot more important things going on - her suspicions of her parents involvement in the murder for one so makes sense.

I also think Lili Reinhardt is leagues ahead of the rest of the young cast in terms of talent. The terrible dialogue characters like Veronica have doesn't help but anything that keeps Betty away from all that singing nonsense works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Infuriating!! Jughead took a picture on his phone but they decide to trek all the way back to town to get the Sheriff!! :mad:

I'm hate watching it at this stage; the writing is terrible and cliched but I really want to know what the fcuk is going on.

I also heard a rumour about the last episode which has me very curious -
    Sabrina Spellman will be making an appearance

FunLover18 wrote: »

I heard that too. My guess is set up for another spin off.

I don't know that this needs to be spoiler tagged but just in case
    She lives in Greendale, which is the other side of the river, the side Jason was supposed to be going to, so I assume she'll be tied into that somehow and it will serve as a backdoor pilot type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I heard that too. My guess is set up for another spin off.

I don't know that this needs to be spoiler tagged but just in case
    She lives in Greendale, which is the other side of the river, the side Jason was supposed to be going to, so I assume she'll be tied into that somehow and it will serve as a backdoor pilot type thing.

Great community college there

Just reading some stuff about the last episode and apparently there were a few Betty/Jughead scenes, or bits of scenes, cut from the episode for time.
    Not coming from a crazy internet shipper point of view, but just from a storytelling point of view it seems really stupid to cut things that are relevant to the story/characters in an episode that has about 10 minutes of singing. They couldn't have cut a line or two of a song?

Also, I'm sure other characters have scenes cut too but given this episode developed the Betty/Jughead relationship a bit more I would have thought their scenes would be more important than more bloody singing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have to say Veronica fills out her role in the Pussycats well. In fact they would've won the talent show by just having her up there on her own moving to the song. She is very talented. :) Sorry. :o

So Betty's parents, the gang and the Blossoms weren't at the talent show. I assume the gang would be the ones to burn a car, though they were at the drive-in. Will see if the drugs were taken first.

What was with Betty looking at the speaker?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So Betty's parents, the gang and the Blossoms weren't at the talent show. I assume the gang would be the ones to burn a car, though they were at the drive-in. Will see if the drugs were taken first.

What was with Betty looking at the speaker?

I would guess the biker gang found the car after Jason/Polly put it there and were just using it as a handy place to stash the drugs. Once they realised someone had found it they took the drugs out and torched it. They either didn't realise or didn't care about the connection to Jason's murder.

Betty looking at the speaker was, to me, a way of showing she's moved on from the feelings she had for Archie at the start of the series. She knew he was performing but showed no interest in going, even before they knew about the car. She stopped for a brief listen but that was it.

Ah right. Didn't realise the music was playing over the speaker. Assumed was just in the hall. Thought the speaker was what caused Betty to go find Polly as if she realised something

I have a theory.

I typed out my whole theory there and imidiately dismissed it and a new one came to me.
    The guy Betty went on a date with told her Jason was dealing to make money, right? So assuming the biker gang were his suppliers he ripped off a load of their drugs to take with him when he and Polly left, to sell later to support her and the baby. The gang know it was him though and while he's waiting around in the woods for Polly one of them finds him and BOOM he's dead.

That theory doesn't explain why they left the drugs in the car and only torched it when Betty and Jughead found it. Unless they only found Jason in the woods at the time and not the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

Good stuff. I think it'll finish strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Infuriating!! Jughead took a picture on his phone but they decide to trek all the way back to town to get the Sheriff!! :mad:

I'm hate watching it at this stage; the writing is terrible and cliched but I really want to know what the fcuk is going on.

Maybe he and Betty didn't have data.

At the risk of sounding like a 12 year old girl, Betty and Jughead are soooooooooooooooooo sweet :o

Much better episode than last week anyway.

Can't get over how clueless Archie has been to everything in his supposedly 2 best friend's lives. Jughead has been homeless for weeks, possibly months, Betty's entire life has been caving in and he didn't have a clue.

p.s. no new episodes until March 30th!

Cheryl's loyalties seem to constantly change.
    I'm assuming Hermione is willing to take in Polly mainly because it'll annoy Alice.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Cheryl's loyalties seem to constantly change.
    I'm assuming Hermione is willing to take in Polly mainly because it'll annoy Alice.

Yeah, her "anything for Alice Cooper's daughters" didn't sound the most welcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It seems to me that the writers and producers have realised early on that Betty & Jughead are the real stars of the show, possibly hence the real focus on their respective stories for the last few weeks.

It seems to me that the writers and producers have realised early on that Betty & Jughead are the real stars of the show, possibly hence the real focus on their respective stories for the last few weeks.

I read something earlier this week where one of the guys running the show, maybe the main guy, not sure, said that he had wanted to do a Betty/Jughead relationship/story from the start. I'm not sure if he's the guy who also worked on the comics. I'll try to find it again.

If you look at the pilot they had Betty basically throwing herself at Archie from the get go and him shutting it down pretty quickly. It does seem like they were never going to go with the traditional love triangle from the comics anyway. And, as we've seen since, Betty and Jughead certainly have a lot more depth as characters than most of the others. I'm guessing that all comes from the TV show writers as my impression of the comics is there's no depth to anyone.

So all in all it seems like the intention was always to have Betty/Jughead as the centre of the show.

Liked the dream sequence at the beginning to get in the old look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

People pitching in to do manual labour seems like something from the comics.

• Advertisement

764dak wrote: »
    People pitching in to do manual labour seems like something from the comics.

Also seems like something Health & Safety would shut down pretty quick.

Advertisement