Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop keeps losing ip address

Options
  • 27-01-2017 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi
    have a Fujitsu windows 10 laptop and every second day maybe the internet won't connect and it says it cannot reach IP address, so I follow the instructions in the attached picture but almost the next day it could be back to square one.

It's really annoying getting it back every day. Just wondering is there any way to permanently solve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Are all your drivers up-to-date?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

degsie wrote: »
    Are all your drivers up-to-date?

How would I check that ? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

clairek6 wrote: »
    How would I check that ? Thank you

Go to the manufacturers website and check under the support pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I had this, think it's a windows 10 problem, only solution I could get to work was go to cmd line then ip release and IP renew, everyday until Microsoft fixed it in an update recently

mightyreds wrote: »
    I had this, think it's a windows 10 problem, only solution I could get to work was go to cmd line then ip release and IP renew, everyday until Microsoft fixed it in an update recently

Ya it's only happened lately really annoying as it's my parents computer and they can't do the release renew thing!

• Advertisement

Ya it's only happened lately really annoying as it's my parents computer and they can't do the release renew thing!

I had a little bat script on my desktop with the 2 lines in it 'ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew' double click it and it was fixed for others in the house.

Someone might actually have a decent fix for it but I tried alot none worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I had a little bat script on my desktop with the 2 lines in it 'ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew' double click it and it was fixed for others in the house.

Someone might actually have a decent fix for it but I tried alot none worked for me

Have a couple of batches to run the same. Does seem to fix a lot of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

You can just put a static IP address onto the laptop if just using it from.

An ipconfig /all would give you the info you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Can you post the full script please. Is there more than

echo off
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

That hangs at command echo off for me.. Thanks. Excuse me jumping in OP:)

This is what I have been following:
    Windows key + X
    Select command prompt
    Type ipconfig /release and hit enter
    Type ipconfig /renew and hit enter

Type exit and hit enter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Jodotman wrote: »
    You can just put a static IP address onto the laptop if just using it from.

An ipconfig /all would give you the info you need

I had a similar issue with an Asus laptop, Windows 10 also.
    I gave it a static IP address via my router's admin page, no issue since, not a single drop in over a week.

I have a theory that the use of wireless range extenders might be the ultimate cause of the problem.

Can you post the full script please. Is there more than

echo off
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

That hangs at command echo off for me.. Thanks. Excuse me jumping in OP:)

I didnt use echo off, just the 2 lines underneath it'll open and close a command prompt

This is what I have been following:
    Windows key + X
    Select command prompt
    Type ipconfig /release and hit enter
    Type ipconfig /renew and hit enter

Type exit and hit enter

if you download notepad++ type in
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

when you go to save as look for save as type at the bottom, select batch file save to desktop, when wireless goes down double click it ,

I think a static ip fixes it as has been mentioned but i was just lazy and this was handy while waiting on the fix

towger wrote: »
    I had a similar issue with an Asus laptop, Windows 10 also.
    I gave it a static IP address via my router's admin page, no issue since, not a single drop in over a week.

I have a theory that the use of wireless range extenders might be the ultimate cause of the problem.

Thanks I might look more in to this option so. We don't have a range extender so not the cause here anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boards wont allow you to attach a script file, so here it is as a text file.
    @echo OFF
    REM Script to reset network
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    echo Networking Reset
    pause

Download the attachment, copy it to the desktop. Then rename it from "Reconnect.txt" to "Reconnect.bat". If you cant see the .txt you need to enable file extensions in the "View" settings of File Explorer(Explorer).

Advertisement