Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Subjects - Physics? Accounting? Economics?

Options
  • 27-01-2017 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm in TY and have to make my subject choices soon. I'm already quite sure I'm keeping on biology and chemistry but I have no idea about my last option.

I was thinking about physics, but others are very discouraging about keeping on three science subjects. I know biology and chemistry will have a lot of learning, but will throwing physics in be too much work? I got As in HL science and maths in the Junior Cert so I shouldn't struggle too much with the mathsy aspect of things. That being said, I'm not a complete maths genius. I'm not MADLY into science but at the same time I do find parts of it interesting enough. I know that a lot of physics is understanding concepts, but will it be too much work for me if I'm not extremely, extremely passionate about it?

Accounting is a subject I'd consider because of not having as much to learn off. I found the accounting parts of JC Business manageable and got an A, and liked the way that once you knew how to do a question, you were fine because it just repeated every year. But I understand that for the LC it is supposed to get really confusing and you only really understand everything after finishing the course. Any advice on accounting and its workload? How much of it is theory?

Also, I don't really know too much about economics - does that involve a lot of learning off? I would definitely choose it over business because I found that part of the course really boring for the JC. I've heard it's difficult to get an A1 in though.

I would be looking to score really well in each of my subjects and am aiming for A1s (or H1s as they're now called). How doable is this in each of the above subjects?

Thanks a million for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you think you will follow a science/maths type course at college?

If you think you'll be able for it, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Pick the subjects you have the most interest in. You'll get the best grades that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stearinlys

Definitely do accounting! I'm in fifth year now and I love it so much, some of the adjustments are kind of similar so that's really good too. We haven't done any theory yet but I think there's a small bit of theory at the end of every Q except q1 but it doesn't look too hard. If you have an interest in accounting and you're willing to put in the work, definitely do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hi, I'm in TY and have to make my subject choices soon. I'm already quite sure I'm keeping on biology and chemistry but I have no idea about my last option.

I was thinking about physics, but others are very discouraging about keeping on three science subjects. I know biology and chemistry will have a lot of learning, but will throwing physics in be too much work? I got As in HL science and maths in the Junior Cert so I shouldn't struggle too much with the mathsy aspect of things. That being said, I'm not a complete maths genius. I'm not MADLY into science but at the same time I do find parts of it interesting enough. I know that a lot of physics is understanding concepts, but will it be too much work for me if I'm not extremely, extremely passionate about it?

I did all three sciences for my Leaving cert and in all honesty the workload was no more for me than anyone doing any other three subjects. That being said though, if you're not overly interested in science I take it you don't want to pursue a career in it? If that's the case maybe taking a different subject might be the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Currently doing the three sciences. There's no more work to them than any other subject combination (if anything I think there's a bit less, because neither biology, chemistry or physics have any project attached to them). It's also nice to see the small bits of overlap between the subjects, such as radioactivity featuring in both physics and chemistry.

But having done all three sciences for over a year and a half at this stage, be warned that it will result in your timetable not having much variety. I often think it would have been nice to have DCG or something thrown in the mix for variety. Other than that minor issue, I think doing three sciences is a good idea, IF you like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 nerdy_nerdy

No, I might consider medicine but I don't think I'd pursue any other sort of science career. That being said.. I really am unsure of what I want to do in college so I can't really pick my subjects with anything in mind.

spurious wrote: »
    Do you think you will follow a science/maths type course at college?

If you think you'll be able for it, go for it.

I don't know what I'll do in college. I'm thinking about medicine but I don't think I'd do anything else science related.

Stearinlys wrote: »
    Definitely do accounting! I'm in fifth year now and I love it so much, some of the adjustments are kind of similar so that's really good too. We haven't done any theory yet but I think there's a small bit of theory at the end of every Q except q1 but it doesn't look too hard. If you have an interest in accounting and you're willing to put in the work, definitely do it!

Is it enjoyable? Maybe it's just the teacher in my school, but everyone in fifth year says it's so difficult to grasp. I know you don't need to be doing business to do it, but would that help you understand it in any way or is it all completely new?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stearinlys

Is it enjoyable? Maybe it's just the teacher in my school, but everyone in fifth year says it's so difficult to grasp. I know you don't need to be doing business to do it, but would that help you understand it in any way or is it all completely new?

Do you mean business for JC or LC? If you mean JC then it would help given that it would give you the foundations but my teacher quickly went over the rules we needed for JC at the start so I don't think it's that necessary. I do LC business as well and it wouldn't make a difference if I did accounting with or without business but apparently there's a bit of crossover with ratios but I'm not sure. Some people do struggle with it but if you put the work in outside of school you'll be fine. If you want I can send you on some of my notes/answers to see if you'd like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Physics is a hard subject but if you have the ability for it and interest then I would consider doing it. My physics class started off with 20 people but since then 7 have dropped out over the course of fifth and sixth year.

• Advertisement

Stearinlys wrote: »
    Do you mean business for JC or LC? If you mean JC then it would help given that it would give you the foundations but my teacher quickly went over the rules we needed for JC at the start so I don't think it's that necessary. I do LC business as well and it wouldn't make a difference if I did accounting with or without business but apparently there's a bit of crossover with ratios but I'm not sure. Some people do struggle with it but if you put the work in outside of school you'll be fine. If you want I can send you on some of my notes/answers to see if you'd like it?

I meant LC business. Thanks, it'd be great if you could do that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Accounting requires work and practice for each topic - you need to fully understand each one, but once you do that's pretty much it! You don't need to do business - I would even say you don't need to have done accounting in the JC Business. It's one of those subjects that never changes and if you put the work in by practicing questions you'll do well :)

Advertisement