Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tip pizza man?

• 28-01-2017 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I looked around and couldnt find anything recent on this...

Now that almost all fast food delivery add on this delivery charge, wether it be 1 euro or 3.50 onto you meal.

Should I still be tipping? Dose everyone else as I used to think it was mandatory (usually 2 bob) since they have to use their own petrol.

Wouldn't mind it too much if I knew they there getting the add on delivery charge also, but it feels like they getting totally scammed and feels as if it's the customers fault for not imburseing them.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved from The Cooking Club. I have no idea where it's best suited to, so AH seems like the best idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not up to the customer to subsidise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

If it's pissing rain or in general crap weather I'll tip them.
    The delivery charge doesn't go to the delivery driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

Honest question- why is nearly every Dominos driver Pakistani or Bangladeshi (my guess)? Be it my local one or ordering in at friends all around Dublin I've never come across an Irish one in at least 15 years.

Before someone chimes in with "the job is beneath Irish dole hounds" that may be true in a lot of cases but there's plenty of Irish lads delivering for chippers and Mizzonis and the like (most chippers have a 2 or 2.50 delivery charge, I'm guessing the driver keeps this, he's effectively self employed and it's up to him whether he declares his income, not the chipper). Are Dominos pay conditions chronic and nobody Irish will work for them or what's the story? (I might be wrong but I think I recall reading somewhere that the minimum wage doesn't always apply to food delivery people)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I usually tip €2 on top of delivery charge if it's not expensive and they are friendly...

A friend of mine used to deliver for apache and it didn't sound like fun... it's nice to be nice. If you don't tip that's fine, it's just a preference of mine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

If I have some change on me I'll tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I used to always tip. I rarely do anymore. I always pay by card now and rarely have cash on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Faith wrote: »
    Mod note: Moved from The Cooking Club. I have no idea where it's best suited to, so AH seems like the best idea.

That's just typical "I've no idea what to do with this thread , but sure I'll liv it into AH and see what happens ".

I suppose you'll want a tip for delivering it here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Honest question- why is nearly every Dominos driver Pakistani or Bangladeshi (my guess)? Be it my local one or ordering in at friends all around Dublin I've never come across an Irish one in at least 15 years.

domino's delivery drivers are employed by dominos and are on the books,

the dude that delivers your curry is getting cash in hand and is most likely on the scratcher too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

the dude that delivers your curry is getting cash in hand and is most likely on the scratcher too

I've always wondered what happens when the night eventually comes when they drop off food to the post office clerk who gives them their 188 weekly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Nah, just answer the door in the buff. That's tip enough - never had any complaints anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

We ordered dominos last night, paid with card when I ordered and when it arrived I thought I had change but I had absolutely nothing. I felt really really bad not tipping him. Guess who'll probably be last getting their pizza in future? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I'm friends with my local Chinese takeaway driver, I still wouldn't tip him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

If I pay with cash, usually I will give a tip. If I pay by card I don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

If your a regularly user then I would tip. Unless you fancy an extra topping from the delivery person.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

As far as I know dominos drivers are treated like contract workers, 3euro per drop and no hourly rate is the situation there now and they must pay there own tax on what they earn andalso most drivers in chippers and Indians and other smaller pizza places are part time(x and o's). There was a big crackdown on it a few years ago and it got fairly strict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Here's a tip. Dominos pizza is manky. Save yourself the tipping conundrum and don't order it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Yes, and No.

They are on the books, but as contractors. They are not employees and get paid 3.70 per delivery. That is along with a 40c payment to upgrade their ordinary car insurance so they can do deliveries.

There is not a lot in it for them, tips make it up. If they get a single delivery on a run, they could end up driving a couple of miles for 3.70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Drivers leave the shop with a few deliveries at a time. Maybe 4 or 5. If you are a regular customer and you don't tip, you will be the last to get your food. If your known as a tipper, you'll have your food first, piping hot.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    Drivers leave the shop with a few deliveries at a time. Maybe 4 or 5. If you are a regular customer and you don't tip, you will be the last to get your food. If your known as a tipper, you'll have your food first, piping hot.

Rubbish. Not in Dominoes anyway.

Depending on the branch and the manager and the workload, they regularly leave with one (a single), or if its far, they get two (a double)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.
    No.
    No.

Depending on the branch and the manager and the workload.

They regularly leave with one (a single), or if its far, they get two (a double)

I'm just going by general chipper/pizza places, not necessarily the bigger well known chains. I used to accompany my mate doing deliveries and that was the general practice at the time.

snubbleste wrote: »
    No.
    No.
    No.

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

Rubbish. Not in Dominoes anyway.

How do you know it's rubbish if you are only going by Domino's?:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Whoy?
    Don't they get minimum wage? Do you also tip the postman, the checkout person, the bank clerk, the dentist, the newsagent?

How do you know it's rubbish if you are only going by Domino's?:rolleyes:

Because I was looking at this very issue in Dominoes last night.

Because I was looking at this very issue in Dominoes last night.

I am telling you from direct experience. I'm not telling you because 'I was in a chipper last night'.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Whoy?
    Don't they get minimum wage? Do you also tip the postman, the checkout person, the bank clerk, the dentist, the newsagent?

They are employed as contractors. Not employees.

• Advertisement

I am telling you from direct experience. I'm not telling you because 'I was in a chipper last night'.

As recent as last night?

As recent as last night?

There are more establishments in Dublin than Domino's. Many more.

You still think you can call my post rubbish because you stood in Domino's watching drivers coming and going?

There are more establishments in Dublin than Domino's. Many more.

You still think you can call my post rubbish because you stood in Domino's watching drivers coming and going?

My post in post 22, mentions dominoes specifically.. It does not refer to other companies.

My post in post 22, mentions dominoes specifically.. It does not refer to other companies.

So what? I didn't quote your post. You quoted mine.

So what? I didn't quote your post. You quoted mine.

I am talking solely about dominoes, not anyone else.

Post 11 mentions them directly.

I am talking solely about dominoes, not anyone else.

Post 11 mentions them directly.

You quoted my post and called it rubbish, mate. I never mentioned Domino's up till then. This thread is about pizza delivery drivers, not just Domino drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Don't buy pizzas but usually give two or three euro tip if I get something delivered from the local Indian or Chinese.

It's just an act of minor largese that I don't think too deeply about or sit down over a spreadsheet analyzing its potential impact vis a vis taxation and fast food industry wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I was under the impression my local Apache pizza drivers got a base wage and the 3.50 delivery charge on top, or 3.50 per delivery plus cost of petrol (can't remember which). Tips on top then.

I sometimes tip if they are there quick. But I've been left hanging for an hour before and received a cold slab of brick like material. In that case, no tipping. It's a stupid American thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why does anyone tip a driver ?Let the company pay them properly, not up to the customer to subsidise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Elemonator wrote: »
    I was under the impression my local Apache pizza drivers got a base wage and the 3.50 delivery charge on top, or 3.50 per delivery plus cost of petrol (can't remember which). Tips on top then.

I sometimes tip if they are there quick. But I've been left hanging for an hour before and received a cold slab of brick like material. In that case, no tipping. It's a stupid American thing anyway.

This .Oh Americans do it so we will ave to look cool and copy them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭LushiousLips

Don't stand up in a canoe...theres a tip for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

nup72 wrote: »
    [...]
    Now that almost all fast food delivery add on this delivery charge, wether it be 1 euro or 3.50 onto you meal.

Should I still be tipping? [...]

Yes, I think one should tip. I don't think the delivery charge is a gratuity—it goes to the business not the driver I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pocketkings

I work delivering Indian food, and the majority of people tip, I'd say about 75%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

We ordered dominos last night, paid with card when I ordered and when it arrived I thought I had change but I had absolutely nothing. I felt really really bad not tipping him. Guess who'll probably be last getting their pizza in future? :(

I try to give a euro, sometimes 2 if I pay by card.
    Last time I tipped 2 euro the pizza barely had any cheese, seemed to be missing another ingredient and was overcooked to the point that it looked like it had been deep fried.
    Know it's not the delivery chaps fault, but how can that justify a tip?
    No way to win :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My delivery girl is a woman - always tip her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Never tip if there's a delivery charge. If I use dominos (no delivery charge) I tip if they arrive by the time they say they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I just the fresh pizzas from Aldi. They take about 10 mins to cook and are superior to Dominos etc which are dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I just the fresh pizzas from Aldi. They take about 10 mins to cook and are superior to Dominos etc which are dirt

Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd say someone higher up is from there and hiring people they know from the subcontinent, or possibly based on recommendations from fellow workers. It's the same with Apache Pizza.

Similar to how practically every Supervalu employee is a school/college student working part-time, it must be based on friends getting other friends jobs.

Curious I've rarely seen a Pakistani (etc) delivering a Chinese meal, and rarely seen a Chinese delivering pizza.
    (I think Chinese delivery guys tend to be related to the owners of the Chinese restaurant though, as they tend to be family-run operations).

Of course you get the occasional Irish guy thrown into the mix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd never tip anyone, I don't believe in it. It's another Americanism that's crept in over the past decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Always tip

• Advertisement
Advertisement