Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina to Galway commute

• 28-01-2017 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Anyone here doing this commute?
    I am seriously thinking about moving back to Ballina and this would be the daily commute. I am seriously thinking about it. With the prospect of the new bypass for Tuam and Claregalway I am guessing/hoping the commute will be manageable. Currently doing an hour commute at the moment and that's fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hold off until this time next year. By then all sections of the new motorway should be up and running at full steam. There's currently a rumour going around the the project is 3 months ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

pzermelzer wrote: »
    Anyone here doing this commute?
    I am seriously thinking about moving back to Ballina and this would be the daily commute. I am seriously thinking about it. With the prospect of the new bypass for Tuam and Claregalway I am guessing/hoping the commute will be manageable. Currently doing an hour commute at the moment and that's fine.

Depending on where you work. The new bypass might not help that much. I mean it's going to do is bypass tuam and Claregalway. If you work in medtronic or over that side of the city. Your either going to have to go the old road at Claregalway or come back in the m6. Not sure how long that. What you really need is the city bypass to be finished. But that's years away from starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pzermelzer

Yep it's Parkmore I'm working in alright. I start at 8 and would/could be in earlier if I thought the traffic bypass would bring spin down to 1hr10 or 1hr 20. Is is that mad thinking?

pzermelzer wrote: »
    Yep it's Parkmore I'm working in alright. I start at 8 and would/could be in earlier if I thought the traffic bypass would bring spin down to 1hr10 or 1hr 20. Is is that mad thinking?

it probabaly will bring it down as current n17 traffic say going to sligo or limerick etc wont need to go through claregalway/tuam.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I do Cbar to Ballybrit, the earlier you leave the quicker you get there. For 8 from Cbar youll need to be on the road at 7,50.
    I leave around 6.15 most days myself, its quieter but still a good amount on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

yop wrote: »
    For 8 from Cbar youll need to be on the road at 7,50.

Do you mean 6.50am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I do Castlebar to the city centre for 9:30, I leave early as the traffic for those starting work at 9 and 9 30 is horrid.

I'm sure the bypass will make a difference and cut out all the Munster-bound traffic, the Connacht tribune had a statement saying it will be open prior to Christmas.

For the city workers, the real change will occur with the outer ring road going to Furbo that should really make a significant change to traffic.

I used to do ballina to balla in around 25mins if my memory serves me right, but i suspect you would go foxford to claremorris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Do you mean 6.50am?

I'm sure he did unless he has a Jet. I would have thought 6:40 myself.

voz es wrote: »
    I'm sure he did unless he has a Jet. I would have thought 6:40 myself.

yop air :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Haha, sorry yes 6.50 :)

If I leave at 6.15 I'm at the desk at 7.05.
    If I leave at 6.50 as I have done a few mornings this week its taken over the hour.
    Id say leaving around 7.30 could be 1.5 hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement